Stock Viper Shifter Upgrade

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've started producing a part for the stock Viper shifter to take some of the looseness (sloppyness / flex) out of the stock shifter.

It's a replacement shaft for the upper part of the shifter that's made to replace the factory one that has a rubber bushing in it (which causes the flex in the shifter).
This is the shaft that connects the main shifter body to the shifter knob.

Here's a picture of the stock shaft with the rubber bushing.
You must be registered for see images

The rubber bushing in the middle of the shaft allows the top of the shifter knob to flex about 3/4's of an inch. It's main purpose is to isolate tranny vibrations from the shifter knob.

Here's a picture of a stock length replacement shaft.

They're made from a grade 8 hardened bolt which has one end turned down on a lathe, then threaded with the proper metric thread on that end.

It eliminates the 3/4's of an inch of flex that was created by the rubber bushing and thus giving you a much tighter/firmer feeling shifter.

I make them in the stock length of 4.75 inches (which works great with the short MGW Gripper knob) and shorter versions of 3 & 4 inches (which will shorten the length of the throw 1-1/2 to 2 inches, depending on the length of the rod).

Here's a picture of the 3 inch length shaft.

The 3 inch works great with a stock shifter knob (or an aftermarket tall knob), it lowers it about 2 inches and shortens the throw about 2 inches.

The price is $25.00 each including Priority Mail Insured Shipping.

You can E-Mail me with any questions or to order one at:
Rich Detert
or contact me by phone at (636)942-4690

For those unfamiliar with me, I been reproducing 4 Speed shifter mounting bracket for Classic Mopar B & E Bodies for about 8 years now. If you bought one from Year One or Fellwock or other Vendors it came from me. Viper parts were a natural progression since I have a Viper now.
Link to pics of My Shifter parts