Stone Chipping Behind Wheels

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This picture appeared in another thread on a different subject but notice the stone chipping behind the front wheel. This condition has started on my 03 with just 5K miles. It is going to happen if you drive it at all.

Is anybody trying to prevent this from happening and how. Mud flaps....how does that look?

picture.php

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check a post by Jon B recently. I think in new products. he has a mud guard for it. I have 20,000 miles on my car and it is nowhere near as bad as that.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Specialty also has a Stone gaurd and using a clear bra can also slow down on the chips. The paint is thin on a Viper and this is bound to happen.

Bruce

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon;

Any pictures of the flaps on the car? Also are these front and back flaps or just front flaps? The product picture looks pretty good but need to see them on the car to make a final judgement.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Colo............ Im at a loss here.... I see the CF Flap clearly visible in the photo above. Are you yanking my chain? Or does it look SO "factory" that you dont even see it? I also posted a link to that photo and another......

FRONT ONLY at this time.....since the front tires actually turn out of their wheel wells.....we did those 1st.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3m the side fender all the way back on the inside too. My VCA coupe with 6 thousand plus miles and not one chip. 3m the back fender inside and all the way back.

OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3m the side fender all the way back on the inside too. My VCA coupe with 6 thousand plus miles and not one chip. 3m the back fender inside and all the way back.

Are you talking about a 3M clear film that is used to cover the paint?

I like that idea. Innocuous yet functional. Were did you buy?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did this on my VOI9 and it works Just "ok". The problem is, its very tough to install this area. And if you get one peel, its all over. If you have an expert with Vipers in your area, your ok (there is a guy in TX on this board who could probably do it PERFECT, forget the name off hand). But normal film shops will leave some bends around the wheel lip area. I was told by my installer in NJ. There was no way to manipulate the material, to form that area.. is that true? I really dont know.. But mine did have some bends. And dirt got underneath. (which look terrible)
If you have a car that already has damage in this area (even if minor). forget it.. the film will never adhere properly.

either get the carbon fiber pieces. Or like many Viper owners do. Just accept the fact, you'll need to have them painted every 3-5 years or so. But I agree, painting them always opens the door for color match issues.

This was one of the main things that bothers me about SRT cars. I bought my 2006 with 350 miles on it. And already had some chips on both fender lips. poor design.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
either get the carbon fiber pieces.

Not crazy about those carbon fiber pieces. We use to call them Kentucky Air Brakes. (I'm from KY too)

A buddy of mine, has some experience with the clear film and it was difficult to notice installed. I may still give this a try. I shoot pics and post at completion.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about a 3M clear film that is used to cover the paint?

I like that idea. Innocuous yet functional. Were did you buy?

Yes, It is the clear plastic film. I did the front nose and the side fender and the rear inside wheel well. I have a professional guy here that does all my cars. Get it done when the car is brand new. It works..........I even put on the underside of my Magic boat. Love that stuff

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, It is the clear plastic film. I did the front nose and the side fender and the rear inside wheel well. I have a professional guy here that does all my cars. Get it done when the car is brand new. It works..........I even put on the underside of my Magic boat. Love that stuff
Is this 3m film avalible in larger pieces or just the thin strips like a roll of tape.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been installing clear bras for a while including on my 04. The rocker panel kit is precutr to fit the entire rocker panel... starting from the area behind the front wheel and going back to the strip above the exhaust tip. It also wraps all the way under to the bolts so the entire piece is covered in one shot. I covered mine before I even drove it after seeing what even just a few hundred miles did to my dads 04. The rockers take a beating real quick and really need to be covered. Mud gurads will help but will not stop all the chips...

PM me if you have any questions. I can also lead you in the right direction to get these... I also think that these are a DIY install so all you need is the material.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this 3m film avalible in larger pieces or just the thin strips like a roll of tape.

An installer can cover any body panel you want. They are big sheets. I covered the whole side of the inner fenders all covered to the exhaust tips. When my new 10 ACR comes in I will have the 3m installed. Saves the car I recommend it.

Reaction score
I have the 3M clearBra all my cars and have since 2005.
It is computer generated, and cut and usually is used to cover all impact areas.
Works as advertised, and no issues.
I get it installed by a dealer named Pepe in Boca Raton, Florida.
Not cheap, and mostly cost $1,000.00-$1,500.00 depending on the car.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a pair of chip guards on my VOI9 from Jon B like the ones shown above. It took my 20 minutes for both sides and they look great. The quality is great and they come out far enough to really protech the sills and they look so good you would think they came from the factory on the car. Thanks Jon B another great product from your company !!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PICTURES........................................
I just installed a pair of chip guards on my VOI9 from Jon B like the ones shown above. It took my 20 minutes for both sides and they look great. The quality is great and they come out far enough to really protech the sills and they look so good you would think they came from the factory on the car. Thanks Jon B another great product from your company !!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to gallery and select upload pics in the upper right corner. Select pic from your folder on your computer and click upload. If you have problems just email them to me and I can do it for you.

[email protected]

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Explain how to post some pictures and I'll be happy to.

1. Either "Quote" someone or "Go Advanced" when posting.
2. Go to the "Additional Options"...Click "Manage Attachment"
3. Upload a picture...then follow the diagram below...very simple.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Manage.jpg
    Manage.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 675

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any more pics than just this latest one? From many angles and distances?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3m clear cover and be done with it. When the clear gets pitted, pull it off and put a new one. Paint will be perfect

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
These carbon fiber stone guards are works of art by themselves. But on a race yellow ACR convertible, they look fantastic...blending nicely with the OEM carbon fiber parts!!!

Many thanks, JonB..."you da man"!!

P.S. Please send another set when you get them...08 is feeling slighted!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These carbon fiber stone guards are works of art by themselves. But on a race yellow ACR convertible, they look fantastic...blending nicely with the OEM carbon fiber parts!!! Many thanks, JonB..."you da man"!!

P.S. Please send another set when you get them...08 is feeling slighted!!!

What did I miss? RACE YELLOW ACR VERT????

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good pic. But can you do a pic of the entire car? Does it look weirdto have one in the front and not the rear?

Weird? He's driving a supersonic, 2-tone pumpkin, with a Cow-catcher of CF in front, and with a CF wing that would float a hang-glider. You think anyone but the OWNER would notice there aint a rear mudflap?

The front tire shoulders LEAVE the fenderwells in most turns, spraying up debris..........the rears dont leave the fenderwells. Hopefully.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456