Street Serpent #5

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mods.

Most Viper guys seem to love them. Others are quite nervous about changing anything on what is already a great car. This 2005 SRT Viper is an excellent example of a car under a constant veil of improvement. It has countless custom touches that make it unique, and better, than the way it left the assembly line.

The forge line wheels will make you drool. The complete Venzano leather interior hugs you. The precision click of the Hurst/Mopar shifter, sound of the Bellanger headers, ride of the adjustable Motons, and stopping power of the drilled rotors are only the start of performance enhancements. The list goes on and on.

This yelloh Viper is about to venture into another major modification. I thought it would be fun to show the entire process online with progressive updates and details about the transformation from SRT Viper body, to Street Serpent Aero Body.

For those who do not know already, the Street Serpent body is based off the more aggressive, exotic look of the Viper Competition Coupe race car. It also shares the 2” wider body work and wider track dimension. The improvement in fit and finish is also part of the SS package. In addition to exotic looks, we’ll strive for exotic quality. Because we can take advantage of a very slow build of the body, great care is taken to make tighter body gaps and a more consistant shade in the yellow, glassy paint. A Ferrari is a great example of what I call a10 out of 10 for fit and finish on a production car. A new Corvette seems to end up around a 6 and I place a viper in the 7.5 range. The goal with a Street Serpent Car is to hit a 10, but will more realistically land on a 9.

There a very few Street Serpent cars planned to roam the streets, and this version is #5. It, too, will be unique from the other Serpents. The plan is to use an actual Comp Coupe front splitter complete with cables, a tow hook and possible hood to get it even closer to the race appearance. The hood decision has still not been made.

Here are some shots of what we’re starting with. We start tomorrow with the disassembly and I’ll update this topic with photos as we move along. I’m pretty excited about this car and, combined with all of the other mods, expect it to be one of the coolest Vipers ever built.

ss51.jpg

ss52.jpg

ss53.jpg

ss54.jpg

ss56.jpg

ss55.jpg

ss57.jpg

ss58.jpg

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Jeff. this is going to be a great thread. Looking foward to watching the build progress.

Tom

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jeff, This should be very fun to watch. My Serpent project has hit a bit of a slow down, as the guy that was working on it left the body shop that is completing the project for me.

It's amazing how good this body looks in person. The combination of the wider comp coupe front portion, your '08 inspired hood, and the '06 coupe rear end is awesome. The body lines really flow well and it's hard to capture in a picture the "coke bottle" shape that the wider platform provides. I can't wait until I get mine finished. I'm going with a House of Kolors dark kandy red and will paint the splitter and the rear end bottom vent section black. Might also "black chrome" the 5 spokes.

I love this angle:

front_end_2_11_2.JPG

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, as always--amazing. Can def see the difference in both cars...will love to see yelloh as it goes thru the modding, thanks!! Always loving to learn here!. ~juli

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROCKET62,

I've been glad to see you are doing a quality job on your project. From the photos you've shown me, it seems your guy has been taking his time to do Street Serpent #3 correctly.

That being said, it's a complete bummer he is gone and your now at a stand still. I've been so excited to see this car!

I also give two strong votes for the BLACK CHROME wheels.

Good luck. Keep us all updated.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I know a professional thief could have acomplished this next step in about 10 minutes, but it took me 4.5 hours. I love the way it comes apart and I'm completely impressed by the way this car is engineered. These are well built sports cars.

P10101851.JPG

All screws and hardware are documented and separated for accurate reconstruction. There are no real tricks to taking the car apart, so there is not really a whole lot to show as far as procedure. Aside from a few plastic plugs to pull out, basically it's lefty loosy.

Next update in a few days.

P1010180.JPG

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jeff
I'd like to say my car looks good , but I'm still crying. I proably shouldn't of waxed it before I sent it to you. I've seen your work and I'm sure car will be awesome. One thing I would like to add for people who have never seen the car. In person is better than the picture, the bump out over wheels and the front comp coup look is so awesome looking.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am soooo jealous...

Its like your taking my car apart... Is it still going to be yellow???

I suggest yes..... I love yellow.....

Joe

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Behind the panels, there is very little that needs to be done before the new panels are installed. The front bumper reinforcement needs to have a slight trim in order for the new fasica design to fit properly. There is also some light trimming in the rear trunk tub for the coupe style rear bumper.

P1010188.JPG

P1010190.JPG

P10101911.JPG

All misc parts such as trim, weatherstrip, lamps etc. are bubble wrapped and boxed until needed.

P1010189.JPG

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jeff, this should be fun to watch as a dedicated project from a ****** Viper. As my Viper was previously wrecked (and a perfect donor for your aero body kit) there were certain areas that required more attention and tweeking to get to fit properly. Simple things like having the front headlights in the exact proper position probably takes off at least a week of "fiddle time". I also believe that the shop that I am using really only spent 25 - 30 hours a week on it as they were spread pretty thin. I'll be checking this post on a regular basis and I fully intend to beat you to the finish - but I wouldn't bet my life on it as you're already off to a fast start. My paint guy also wants to let the Viper sit for a week after priming and baking before going with the final finish.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, I'm trying to get other projects finished to dedicate all time here. Anyway, we did a little today by removing all components such as latch, rubber and other hardware from the original decklid.

P1010193.JPG

A more challenging removal is the weathersrip rail/trim support that is removed from the inner QTR panel. The glue that holds it to the original panel must be broke free then the piece can be bonded onto the new SS QTR panel.

P1010194.JPG

P1010195.JPG

The new quarters and decklid are lightly bolted into place.

P1010197.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my ongoing effort to post progress every day, we managed to dedicate a couple hours to getting the hood, fenders and front facia in basic position. I'm pretty happy with things so far and we should have the basic body assembled in the next day or two. After that, we're on to sanding and fine tuning the fitment. That can require taking the car apart again several times. You learn to get good at it and find that the panels being worked on can be taken apart and put back in a matter of minutes. No fear, it's all good.

Also notice we're checking placement of the tow hook. It will be interesting to see the comp coupe splitter and cables when they arrive.

The headlamps are covered in duct tape to prevent scratches while we assemble/disassemble many times.

P1010202.JPG

P1010203.JPG

P1010204.JPG

P1010206.JPG

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the color has been painted on, someone photoshop black stripes on the thing :headbang: It is definately going to look hot, already does!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My part of MI is getting some sunny 60 deg weather for a few days..

While I was out taking advantage of the mild temps in my '01 ACR, I stopped by Jeff's shop earlier this afternoon and he was nice enough to give a tour of the place. Including a good look at the Street Serpent just before the front fenders, hood, and facia were installed.

Thanks for taking the time to show me around Jeff :2tu:

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bobby,Thanks for the compliment. I allways like seeing Bob Carrols Comp Coup at Pocono. here is my way of getting a street legal Comp Coup. I was wicked nervous go into it, but I'm looking forward to see the final shot in YELLOH.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff....

Count me in for doing this the end of next year....

What do you guys do with the rims??? Put spacers?

Joe

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should put spacers, It would make it look even more aggressive! Just like the comp coupes

It will.

That's part of the Street Serpent package. The body is 2" wider overall, the track is 1.5" wider using longer wheel studs and spacers, just like Comp Coupe.

Jeff