Streetracing....why?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI. I just got off the telephone with a supervisor from our local police. In Florida, a person with a CWP can carry a weapon in the car as long as it is concealed. It cannot be visible. It cannot be laying on the seat in plain sight. Sells Homes was correct. I am enjoying my crow sandwich. The example used is only correct for the scenario described.

Reaction score
If I had just half of your brains, I'd be an attorney, please don't cut yourself short.
I've had a CWP for 26-years, I know the law only because I don't want to end up with a larger anus in the big house. I carry mine everyday, in the car, on me, concealed.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admit I skipped pages 10-15 of this thread, but being disgustingly technical, I think there is a book you might want to read. It discusses driving behavior and social behaviors. You don't have to agree with it, but since it refers to many studies in different countries, it might tell you more about what the other driver it thinking.

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do by Tom Vanderbilt
Amazon.com: Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us): Tom Vanderbilt: Books

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay....what about this scenario:

- Replay the Semi/On-Ramp scene, but now put a 350Z right behind me (typical...LOL).
The 350Z driver sees the same bad situation happening and decides that keeping up with me is a good idea too.

What happens if the officer does NOT recognize the situation, but instead takes it as "street racing"?

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay....what about this scenario:

- Replay the Semi/On-Ramp scene, but now put a 350Z right behind me (typical...LOL).
The 350Z driver sees the same bad situation happening and decides that keeping up with me is a good idea too.

What happens if the officer does NOT recognize the situation, but instead takes it as "street racing"?

Most traffic offenses do not require evidence of intent. I haven't read any of the statutes on street racing, they could and probably do differ from state to state.

So, my guess, if you're lucky, you get it reduced to reckless operation. If you are really lucky, have a clean record and maybe a "good friend" or an atty with a good friend, you might get it reduced to speeding but I wouldn't count on it (particularly in Ohio or PA).

Things differ a lot from state to state, last summer a Lambo driver was blasting down I-44 at 120+mph. All he got was a speeding ticket and 4pts on his license. I don't know what Oklahoma considers reckless op but I bet 120+mph would have qualified in Ohio.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So...even though I'm making a very poor traffic situation considerably less dangerous, I'm the bad guy.
Interesting.

Better charge me with Guilty Of Paying Attention.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why own a Viper if you cant have a spirited drive when the time and place is right?? If you want to go the speed limit, be a woman and buy a Prius...AL

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a surprise...3 days later and we're still trying to figure out how to continue beating this rotting, stinkly, maggot-infested corpse to death. Can I pay the VCA to close this thread down?
Hey Tony, My Roe car was panting trying to keep up to you when we went to OCC this summer...You gearhead you...Al....:D:drive::rolleyes:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony, My Roe car was panting trying to keep up to you when we went to OCC this summer...You gearhead you...Al....:D:drive::rolleyes:

Al, you're a funny guy...your Viper barely broke a sweat. Day 4 on this thread and its interesting to see the "holier than thous" here. This is funny thread.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I had just half of your brains, I'd be an attorney, please don't cut yourself short.
I've had a CWP for 26-years, I know the law only because I don't want to end up with a larger anus in the big house. I carry mine everyday, in the car, on me, concealed.

Wow, Im scared...................and impressed.:smirk:

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when people drive fast on the autobahn is that crazy and reckless and insane? If the road is straight, and open, IMO there is nothing wrong with racing somone. Drunk driving, stupid drivers and intersections account for the bulk of auto accidents, racing really isnt a problem. I cant imagine dodge gives you 600hp and expects you to drive the limit?? I am aware that streetracing can go bad, and can be dangerous but under the right conditions i think its safe. My dad, who is normally and very straight laced person, has street raced before, and my freind, a striaght A, never gets in trouble student has street raced a ferrari in his Audi TT.

In conclusion..umm..well i forgot what i was saying...under certain circumstaces i think its ok.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when people drive fast on the autobahn is that crazy and reckless and insane? If the road is straight, and open, IMO there is nothing wrong with racing somone. Drunk driving, stupid drivers and intersections account for the bulk of auto accidents, racing really isnt a problem. I cant imagine dodge gives you 600hp and expects you to drive the limit?? I am aware that streetracing can go bad, and can be dangerous but under the right conditions i think its safe. My dad, who is normally and very straight laced person, has street raced before, and my freind, a striaght A, never gets in trouble student has street raced a ferrari in his Audi TT.

In conclusion..umm..well i forgot what i was saying...under certain circumstances i think its ok.

I'll post it again....

NO, it's NEVER OK! You want to do it, go ahead. Is it FAR less risky (perhaps ALMOST risk free) under certain circumstaces, sure. But it's never OK. Stop trying to rationalize what amounts to selfish behavior as being OK. That's not to suggest we don't all street race, to some extent, at certain times. BUT own up to the fact that it's wrong, lawless and you (or your Dad) will need to bear the responsibility if anything doesn't go as planned.

Reaction score
Mmmmmmmm, MILFs

I'm with you on the ****'s thing ..haha

You must be registered for see images

Back on topic ... as far as street racing goes. While I did a bit and got lucky when I was younger I have VASTLY cut down doing any. I think for me I see my 7 yr old son and treat the car next to me as carrying him. Thats not to say I'm a saint. But now a days my only street racing is basically a small 3-4 gear shift in a straight line (3.73s) for maybe about 3 secs if that and only when there is plenty of room. I adhore any fast lane changes in any form, specially in traffic as you absolutely NEVER know what the person next to you is going to do.

As far as people insulting your ego or challenging your manhood, I think for the most part I got over that long ago. There are the few and VERY far in between times (only one actually comes to mind) that I've ever done a short race from a street light and that was on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) with as far you can see open and an F50 at a stop light as well as another Viper on it's other side. But in that situation the only ones at risk were the ones putting them selves in harms way (no houseing or commercial areas - state park land on both sides)

I understand the draw, but for me you can't risk the lives of any other drivers on the road that haven't agreed to take the risk, and as such the situations in modern day traffic simply don't come up often enough to allow safe street racing of any kind really.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm a little confused here. I'll clarify... It's not the Lone Star long necks at 07:00 hours. It's this business about people saying they defer these street challenges to Pocono or whatever their local track is.

Folks, I get challenged almost every day, even if it's just a farm truck full of chickens. There's no conversation, no dialog. Just a look, and then it's on.

So what do you do, roll down the window screaming and waving holding a sign saying I need to talk to you first?

Please explain to me how you let the other party know you only do other venues.

:eater:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the sudden, powerful impulse to street race is akin to the behavioral occurrence we see when two feral cats come upon each other on what each thinks is his territory and they fight for dominance. There is a look. Then there is a fight. In this case, the street is the territory. How else does it make any sense? What could it possibly matter what a total stranger in a car thinks about you? ( I am excluding spirited driving between friends who just happen to be conducting an equipment check. SQ).

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the sudden, powerful impulse to street race is akin to the behavioral occurrence we see when two feral cats come upon each other on what each thinks is his territory and they fight for dominance. There is a look. Then there is a fight. In this case, the street is the territory. How else does it make any sense? What could it possibly matter what a total stranger in a car thinks about you? ( I am excluding spirited driving between friends who just happen to be conducting an equipment check. SQ).

:2tu: Agree completely ! Perfect analogy !

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Edmunds article hits the nail on the head when it comes to why I sold my 300C. All my friends thoght that it was an old foggie car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper