stuck throttle

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
several days ago my throttle was sticking for a few seconds before returning to normal idle. It has not happened since \
is there any cause for concern
larry

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Might sound silly, but do you have the stock floormats?

This happened to me a time or two and for me it was always caused by the bottom of the accelerator pedal getting stuck above the factory floormat. I stapled a piece of stiff plastic below the mat to keep it flat, but if it happens again, they're gone! To Jon's point, we don't need any "unintended" acceleration.</FONT f>

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, what's up with those **** stock floor mats? Mine slide all around and are a real pain. Are any of the aftermarket ones really any better?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
3 places to check out floormats:

ViperWare: These mats are a New Product by Jason Ward. Saw them on Sunday and they didn't move around. nice look, a compliment to the cargo cover.

Northern Cal: Very common and come in a lot of colors.

Snake-Oyl: They sell two types, an Embroidered mat and a THICK Tapestry mat.

I've seen them all and they don't slide or bunch up like stock mats.

Check out the designs, maybe you want a trunk mat too, colors etc. of the above vendors. Ask if they work with (or cover up) the rear hatch release, etc.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look under the dash at the side of the steering coloum next to the gas pedal and see if it has been making contact between the two pieces.If so you can adjust the pedal to the side a little by loosening the bolts on the back side of the pedal and slide it over.have seen this on a 96 GTS.

OP
OP
L

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the throttle would stick at about 2-2500 rpms.
If you excelerated to 3000 it would pause at 2000 or so on deceleration
It would last for a few seconds and then return to normal idle
If it had been the floor mats it should have continued
Is the throttle in the viper mechanical or electrical like the c-5 vette.
It has not happened since
What was the mythical animal who caused mecanical problems on airplanes
larry

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 GTS had the same problem. It stuck wide open on a county road and reached over 100mph. It stuck on a hard acceleration from a light and wouldn't come undone (I checked the floormat). At first I worried about the engine, everytime I engaged the clutch the RPM's went off the gauge. In case you're wondering, the brakes will not stop a Viper under full acceleration in low gear.

Once getting the car into 4th gear, the brakes started working. After a few more tense seconds, the brakes started failing! Fortunately I had already slowed the car enough to turn the key off without worry that I couldn't unlock the steering wheel to control the car.

I called Dodge and had it towed to the dealer. The problem was a cardboard tube left in the air intake line from the plant (supposedly). Apparently, as the intake valve would open/close, small pieces of the tube would be worn off and get stuck in the intake. This was finally fixed in 1999, after purchasing the car in 1997!

TRUE STORY. The engine was rumored to be one of the last ones built before the engine strike in early 1997...

Dodge was great, fixed the car and now it runs better than ever (gets more air than ever before without a cardboard tube blocking the intake)!