Talk me down off the ledge

stew4706

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys, through a ton of your counsel and checking my financial situation I have decided to pull the trigger on an 2006 vert. While stuck in the hospital yesterday waiting on a family member I was surfing around and found a review written on the 2006 by Allpar.com and it was not that flattering. Things like the steering wheel is not centered to the sills will burn your legs and the interior gets uncomfortably hot...

Thoughts from real owners???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Each generation of Viper has its own individual character, and possibly an idiosyncrasy or two. :)

There are tons of preference" "pros/cons posted here...but I clearly fall on the "pro" side of same...to the degree that I have weeded out most of the other makes in our hobby cars to make room for our Vipers.

I love ALL Viper Generations...each example for just what it is...no more, no less. The Viper I pick to drive on a given day depends on my mood, possible purpose (planned meeting/show/road trip), "needs" of the car such as routine ride or diagnostic run or post-service/maintenance test, etc.
I claim no real favotite past said given day.("love the one you' with").

Many others choose their Viper for track/modification purposes. Gen III's are well-along in Viper evolution...while remaining fairly easily modified/improved for various competitive purposes. A 2006 certainly fits that bill...and, solid examples can generally be found at quite reasonable prices.

I am the first to admit that Viper ownership is not for everyone. In MY OPINION, if YOU are trying to decide between a Viper and another equally limited-use car...pick the other car since Vipers require a deep commitment.

My typing time is over...and I'm sure others will jump in here. If you want more info, feel free to call me.

Good hunting.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, through a ton of your counsel and checking my financial situation I have decided to pull the trigger on an 2006 vert. While stuck in the hospital yesterday waiting on a family member I was surfing around and found a review written on the 2006 by Allpar.com and it was not that flattering. Things like the steering wheel is not centered to the sills will burn your legs and the interior gets uncomfortably hot...

True, true and true...and it doesn't even matter. If you can, find one you can test drive first and see if it's for you...but thousands of loyal owners and the best website in the world are all devoted to the car if that tells you anything!

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My '06 Coupe has a centered steering wheel. Hot yes until I got rid of the cross over/h pipe in the exhaust and the cats. Replaced with M&M headers and a MOPAR track exhaust. Sills and cabin stay cool even in FL. Super reliable, always starts and runs properly. Very enjoyable car.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The steering wheel is centered, it's just the pedals that are slightly offset. Pedal offset was probably the most pronounced in the earlier cars, and after you get in and start to drive, you don't even notice it. If people are complaining about heat, just use exhaust wrap and or get high flow cats/cat delete, people who are complaining about things that are easily fixed, and or aren't noticeable by most people, are just picking gnat $hit out of pepper for the sport of it. My 2c.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard the comment about the steering wheel, and I owned an 06. Replace the crossover exhaust and you will solve the heat problem. Indeed many of the cars you shop may already have that done.
Replace the hood with an 08 hood with the larger vents now in the right place and the heat thing gets even better. You won't feel it come around the side of the car when stopped.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's one thing to "test" a car, and another to live with it. You won't be getting married to it. If it isn't for you, sell, it and cross it off your bucket list. If it interests you at all (as it apparently has), then you owe it to yourself to experience the reason why all Viper owners seem to smile all the time while in their cars.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers aren't chevy impalas. Sure they are loud rough and ready but that's the whole point. I think the nitpickers just don't get it. Buy it,you'll like it!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Viper is like a Ferrari or Lambo, ... except better, and faster, and gets 20mph, and looks nicer, and tune ups (sparkplugs and wires) last for as long as 50,000 miles, etc.

The high sill heat is because the Government requires a 4 chamber Catylitic Convertor. Yes the exhaust and Cats need to be changed. I recommend Hiflow cats and Corsa exhaust (partsrack.com).

Since the 06s came with Michelin ZP runcrap tires (considered the best at that time) change over to a set of Michelin SP2s as they have about 40% better traction, work excellent in the rain and I managed 21,000miles on my set of PS2s!

Only buy a Viper if you want the best performance car made that year. If not the Z06 vette is close and more "luxurious". I have 2 modified GTSs as my preferred choice (all upgraded beyond new of course).

Ted

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a 2005 SRT-10 roadster. The steering wheel is straight. The sills get warm, but not hot enough to burn. By eliminating the cross-over and replacing the stock exhaust with high-flow cats and a cat-back system, you'll eliminate the hot sills and lots of cabin heat.

A big part of the Viper's charm is its rough, unrefined crudity. Other than the top, the stereo system, and the air conditioning, it's not much more refined than our Cobra AC of which we endearingly tell people: "There's nothing nice about a Cobra. It's stripped down to the essentials - a big engine, a small car, and four wide tires trying to keep the whole business on the pavement. It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. It's so damn wonderful that you can't believe it."

My son is a Corvette collector and we occasionally cruise with his club. The Vettes may have all the fancy electronic controls, luxury appointments, on-board latte makers, and whatever, but not one of them has out performed our Viper. And wherever we stop, guess which vehicle the onlookers gather around?

There are lots of great sport car choices out there, the Corvette included. It's all a matter of taste; but the Viper is in a class all its own.

tonyviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 vert that I picked up earlier in the year and here is my advice. Ive never heard of the steering wheel issue however the interior heat issue is a huge problem for me. I live in IL and it's been a hot summer. So hot that I can't take the Viper out with the top down because it gets too freaking hot in there (even with the air on). Nobody wants to sweat when you're out driving. Ive heard that you can change some things to help that issue but I really dont want to start jacking with the car. After all, I paid for a nice sports car- not to buy it and then pay to fix it. Just my 2 cents...So my advice is to buy the car if you really like it. I bought mine because I always wanted to own one and im glad I did... Even though now im considering selling it because its so hot and impractical.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditch the crossover (from what i've heard) and enjoy a new, cooler car

i deal with gen 2 cabin heat and every thing done to reduce heat is an upgrade, not a fix imo

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interior heat issue is a huge problem for me. I live in IL and it's been a hot summer. So hot that I can't take the Viper out with the top down because it gets too freaking hot in there (even with the air on). Nobody wants to sweat when you're out driving.
Convertibles in general don't favor well in above average hot temperatures. Having the sun beat down on you in 85+ degree temps. can be uncomfortable for any convertible driver/owner.
Ive heard that you can change some things to help that issue but I really dont want to start jacking with the car. After all, I paid for a nice sports car- not to buy it and then pay to fix it.
Changing, not fixing, the exhaust setup will not only delete 85% of the Vipers interior heat temperature issue but will also complement the Vipers overall driving experience.
I bought mine because I always wanted to own one and im glad I did... Even though now im considering selling it because its so hot and impractical.
The Viper that you purchased started off as an impractical vehicle for everyday use. History has it's production as a modern day "AC Cobra". If you aren't willing to deal with some of the Viper's characteristics or any other vehicle of it's type, then there is no reason to purchase such a vehicle.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Convertibles are HOT in hot weather regardless of the exhaust and with the a/c full blast. My 03, no cats, 08 hood is still hot inside when it's hot outside. You can just put up the top and turn on the a/c.

If you're looking for an everyday sports car buy a vette.

tonyviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Convertibles in general don't favor well in above average hot temperatures. Having the sun beat down on you in 85+ degree temps. can be uncomfortable for any convertible driver/owner.

Changing, not fixing, the exhaust setup will not only delete 85% of the Vipers interior heat temperature issue but will also complement the Vipers overall driving experience.

The Viper that you purchased started off as an impractical vehicle for everyday use. History has it's production as a modern day "AC Cobra". If you aren't willing to deal with some of the Viper's characteristics or any other vehicle of it's type, then there is no reason to purchase such a vehicle.

The Viper's elevated interior temperature is unlike any other car on the road and im sure no one can dispute that. So while it's hot in any convertable when it's hot outside, a Viper's temp is sometimes unbearable.

Buying an expensive sports car and having to "change/fix/alter/upgrade" (whatever word you want) to fix an issue is silly. And to me it is fixing it because the temperature issue is a problem. I just really dont want to change the stock look and feel to it- I shouldnt have to. Also, maybe the next owner will appreciate the stock viper and like the hot interior.

As for the impractical comment, im just trying to give this gentlemen my honest opinions on me buying my viper. Like I said, i do not regret buying the car because Ive always wanted to own one. I was just giving my opinions on my owning experience.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the impractical comment, im just trying to give this gentlemen my honest opinions on me buying my viper. Like I said, i do not regret buying the car because Ive always wanted to own one. I was just giving my opinions on my owning experience.
I can appreciate your opinion! Vipers are NOT for everyone. As stated above, they are purpose built street race cars. They don't make any excuses for what they aren't. If your looking for a creature comfort based sports car/GT car, buy a Mercedes Benz, BMW, Maserati etc.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper's elevated interior temperature is unlike any other car on the road and im sure no one can dispute that. So while it's hot in any convertable when it's hot outside, a Viper's temp is sometimes unbearable.

Buying an expensive sports car and having to "change/fix/alter/upgrade" (whatever word you want) to fix an issue is silly. And to me it is fixing it because the temperature issue is a problem. I just really dont want to change the stock look and feel to it- I shouldnt have to. Also, maybe the next owner will appreciate the stock viper and like the hot interior.

Sorry guy but all vipers came with ac after the first few years except a few ACRs and GTSRs (because they were designed for racing 'cool' suits.

My GTS get so cold with the ac on that it can't even be left on at it's lowest setting. Unless it's a hot day I don't turn it on at all. Yes my cats are gone, but Gen 2 exhaust also goes behind the seats and out the rear. I did remove my cats because I wanted to get rid of the TOXIC metals in my car :)rolleyes:) and be enviromentally friendly and save gas mileage. The Cats do make a couple degrees difference, that's all.

No one (cept you) said the Viper's cockpit is the hottest, ever ridden in an AC Cobra? Any older MG, sunbeam Tiger, etc? Even without cats they had NO airconditioning and were terrible hot on hot days.

Ted

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of best ways I've ever heard the viper described is this...."The Viper is a monstrous V/10 engine with a car built around it." Don't let what you read in the magazines scare you away from the viper. The auto mags (except for Motor Trend) have never really liked the Viper. You will never really read a positive review on the car. GO ahead with the purchase. You will be glad you did. I think this banner really sums up the car......
CIMG01361.JPG

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the roof and jump right off of the ledge into the Driver's seat... It's the best exotic for the money both purchasing and maintaining... It's a beautiful and unique hand built limited production car with massive power and handling. It will never be the best car as a daily driver but they are durable and reliable. If you can't deal with a few quirks or you're worried about comfort and practicallity then you'll need to settle for a more average car.

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my experience, all true super cars have there faults and are far from good daily drivers. But the thrill they give you is why people buy them. I am not a Viper owner yet hopefully will be this summer or the next one, but all I can tell you is this car is worth it.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th Viper. Gen 1, 2 Gen 2's, and now a Gen 3. I had a C6 Vette in between, but there was no "edge" to it. Nice car, but so is an Acura. If you want more refinement as far as a Viper goes, get a Gen 3 or 4.

One comment aboutthe exhaust. Everything has a trade-off. If you change the exhaust as some have mentioned above be aware that your car will be louder. I have made exhaust mods several times and if you go to a Corsa--louder, if you take out the cats--louder, if you go with high flow cats--louder. (When I say louder I mean louder than stock). So, while it is true that it will decrease heat quite significantly, in most cases I would say you will end up with a much louder car--which is fine...

Finally, just get in one and drive it. Then get ready to buy it because it is like no other driving experience. Just remember to have those front tires pointed straight if you jump on it!!!:drive::drive::drive:

tonyviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qutoe from RTTTTed: Sorry guy but all vipers came with ac after the first few years except a few ACRs and GTSRs (because they were designed for racing 'cool' suits.

Thank you guy for pointing out the obvious that my car has ac. However, with the top down in the sumemr, its unbearable to drive even with the air on full blast. That is not like any other convertable on the streets (except maybe the 1 or 2 other cars you mentioned). This guy asked for opinions on buying a 2006 vert (the exact car I own) so I gave my opinions. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this on guy.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a Gen 4. A FE roadster. Then, smash it, preferably into another FE (esp. a roadster). I will send you a thank you card.

Tonyviper, The heat was secondary to Dodge trying to "fix" the exhaust note. People complained about the rear-exit exhaust note, so the side sill exit was hatched. However, they miscalculated the amount of heat it would generate. In the realm of cars in this performance level, the fix is cheap (<$1000K) and you are still well below the cost of anything comparable.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonyviper, The heat was secondary to Dodge trying to "fix" the exhaust note. People complained about the rear-exit exhaust note, so the side sill exit was hatched. However, they miscalculated the amount of heat it would generate. In the realm of cars in this performance level, the fix is cheap (<$1000K) and you are still well below the cost of anything comparable.
Tonyviper, your going to love the Viper during the colder months! Best heated seats in the industry, :drive:!

tonyviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonyviper, your going to love the Viper during the colder months! Best heated seats in the industry, :drive:!

Nope, I live in IL so you're gonna have to drive me around in your Eagle Talon when its cold.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a Gen 4. A FE roadster. Then, smash it, preferably into another FE (esp. a roadster). I will send you a thank you card.

Less than $1K. What fix is less than that? Thanks.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, I live in IL so you're gonna have to drive me around in your Eagle Talon when its cold.

I live in IL too and can drive the Viper normally through November--even Deember if it has not snowed yet, and then bring it out again in late Feb. if the salt and crap have washed off the roads--otherwise it is mid-March. You can normally drive it late in the fall around here... spring is tricky with the crap they put on the roads in the winter.