the cost of 25 concept cars...

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what would it have cost DC to produce 25 road cars IDENTICAL to the GTS/R Concept Car shown in 2000? how about 50? sigh...as dreams of homologation dance in their heads...

pit

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows how much, the Concept car wasn't even built to street legality. (I don't even think it had street legal bumpers)

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can see your point about the "beefiness", but i do much perfer the front facia of the GTS/R over the Competition Coupe...if i'm not mistaken though, i thought that the GTS/R was touted as being a "street legal race car"...i could be mixing dreams and reality again though...anyway, let's assume that they WERE street legal, again, how much would it cost?

pit

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say from experience that there is usually a WORLD of difference between a concept and a street car.

On the concept, they don't have to worry about being road legal, so they can make a one-off frame out of tube metal, they have their fab shop do up a few panels, etc, etc.

There is a MASSIVE expense in taking a concept and making it a reality. basically you're doing 90% of the work taking a concept to fruition - alot more than most would think, I imagine.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I prefer the leaner look of the Comp Coupe to the GTS/R Concept. The Concept just seemed a little too "beefy" in my opinion, maybe because it was so low-slung.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many cars would have to be crash tested? Now add those throw away cars into the 25 for consumption along with all the cost associated with making only a handful and I bet the cost would be in Saleen S7 range. Even Ford sees they will have to make a few hundred a year and then a few thousand to recoupe their investment. And they are using a truck motor (modified Lighting power plant).

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
richard or steve, do you know if the front facia from the GTS/R would be feasible for road car production? i really think that that larger more open design did way more for the aggressivness of the cars look than the current SRT facia...

pit

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pit, the SRT/10 front fascia is about 15-25% more open than the RT/10. The concept cars are styling cues, to gage reaction, and it seemed that the larger opening was well received. What the final version is based on was the how it works in the over all performance of the car. Can you put a different one on? Sure you could. How easy will it be? Ask someone like Auto Form, they have been doing this for a long time.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pit, I don't think the basic shape or size of the opening is that differant. The major point is the swoopey design of the carbon fiber splitter. It is well integrated into the design. Not a flat piece of plywood (literally)(just kidding Tom, I know why you mocked it up in plywood) like on the Comp. Coupe. The cars ride height also gives it that aggresive look. The ride height is what wouldn't work on the street. I agree that Autoform could produce a piece which would match the GTS-R prototype but it is a matter of numbers. How many people want that look? How many are willing to put up some money?

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for your input guys. i do agree about the look of the "bare" carbon on the bottom of the splitter being very well incorporated into the design. and i also agree that the ride hight of the car would not be practical for the road. tell me something though...i'm not sure how "street legal" the GTS/R was, but if they were to do the minimum to get it to where it could be purchaseable/titleable, etc...how much do you think one would have to go for? 100k? 150k?

pit