The Junkman Touches His First Vipers!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I got to meet some forum members and lay hands on some Vipers last weekend at the Chrysler Nationals. Forum member Scott volunteered his Viper as a demo car and allowed me to work some magic on it. I am really out of touch with the way most Vipers looked as I had not seen his body style before. I think I am still living in the 90's as what I though a Viper looked like and what I saw in Carlisle are clearly two different things!

Here are some shots of Scott's clean ride.

You must be registered for see images

Some guys were ribbing me in saying that I was constantly "holding court" all weekend. People were eager to learn!

I had all kinds of work that needed to be done to Scott's mean Viper (damage left by the previous owner). Somehow, I forgot to take pictures of all the work that I did after I got done. We were crazy busy at the booth!

Nasty scratch by the headlight...

Which cleaned up rather nicely, so that it is now less noticeable.

Check out that hood reflection!

The trunk had a big ol' scratch on it that I was able to mostly remove. Here is a shot of the work in progress...

A Rumble Bee owner brought one of his club members by for some work too. Again, I forgot to take pictures of everything but here are some shots.

There was a scratch here. Not any more!

I am very impressed with the way the newer Vipers look. I didn't realize how much the body style had changed. We had a good time and I look forward to possibly doing a detailing clinic for the Viper clubs that contacted me during the event. If it happens, I'm sure the word will get out. :2tu:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AJ (the Junkman) worked WONDERS on my car, especially considering I had driven through a literal monsoon 100 miles out the PA turnpike, and that's the condition he got the car in! My car was at the Adam's display all day Saturday, and he worked on different sections on and off, demonstrating scratch removal and other techniques.

The car drew quite a crowd. I now know some things I have been doing wrong detailing all three of my vehicles. I will apply some of these to my Ram which I'm starting on this weekend to get it ready for Carlisle in 3 weeks.

Thanks again, AJ.

Scott

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a pleasure to see Junkman at work in these threads.
It's obvious he not only is great at what he does but he gets real satisfaction of a job well done.
And well done they certainly are!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman, taking that scratch out of my door was very cool...even if it prompted me to buy way more stuff from Adams than I planned on:D
Thanks again, hope to catch up with you at another event

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a pleasure to see Junkman at work in these threads.
It's obvious he not only is great at what he does but he gets real satisfaction of a job well done.
And well done they certainly are!

Thanks Jon, I honestly get the satisfaction when the owner is pleased. I don't charge for what I do at these shows, I just have fun showing others how to do it and seeing a project come together. As a lover of a fine looking automobile no matter the make, I know how happy the owners are when they see their baby fixed. That's the real blast for me. :2tu:

This is a picture of the paint on a 1970 Road Runner. The owner was very proud of this car but wanted to do something with the paint because it looked dull to him. The kicker was, he had just recently had it painted. If you look at the picture, you can see where someone who had no business using a buffer, created holograms all in the paint. It was horrible in person. When he pulled the car up to the booth, I just about passed out. It was horribly swirled up and the paint looked like it was shined up with a orange Hersey bar. I didn't have any of my more heavy compounds or polishers so I had to show him how to fix it with a orbital. It took a minute but here are some pics (they really didn't capture just how bad the paint actually looked):

This is what I was able to pull off:

He was like a man who had finally found the holy grail! :rolaugh:

That's the whole fun for me. I love to see a project come together like that.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman, taking that scratch out of my door was very cool...even if it prompted me to buy way more stuff from Adams than I planned on:D
Thanks again, hope to catch up with you at another event

I didn't know you were a member here too! We had a good time with you at the booth. I look forward to another outing. We have definitely got to sit down and do some dinner next time. Oh, bring that Jarhead with you too. I'll have to give him a hard time being family and all! :rolaugh:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Work as usual Junkman. When are you going to trade in the Vette and come to the darkside?

Bruce

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like a black car polished like that. Very very nice work. Where are you located? Can you rub mine out too? Hey wait, I didn't mean it like that!

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Work as usual Junkman. When are you going to trade in the Vette and come to the darkside?

Bruce

I can't afford the time that it would take to maintain 3 women ( 2 cars and my girlfriend)! I really liked the ones I saw at Carlisle. Very tempting...

Nothing like a black car polished like that. Very very nice work. Where are you located? Can you rub mine out too? Hey wait, I didn't mean it like that!

I'll be in Atlanta for the Vettes and Vipers Against ****** Cancer. Are you going to be there? We can easily use your car if it is black. I only like to work on the hardest color for demos!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, any chance you can come up to the Northeast? We'd love to have you here.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junk man, nope, my 06 is blue with silver stripes. Would love to watch and see how ya do it. Just don't know if I have the energy. Great job, though, John

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched AJ work his magic on Friday at Carlisle on my buddy Bubba's black SRT8 Charger. Same results - stunning! I have a lot of work to do on the Viper now, but I'm going to apply some of these techniques first on my Ram 3500. It's a 2004 "Bright White", at the moment, NOT very bright!:lmao: I have two weekends to get it ready for All Trucks at Carlisle.

I am going to take some of the knowledge I learned from AJ working on my black car, and apply it to the Ram. I was also just working on my Superbee - Detonator Yellow, which is also a ****** to keep clean. I've already noticed better results.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, any chance you can come up to the Northeast? We'd love to have you here.

If someone picks up the expenses and I'm not already booked, I'd be more than happy to come. The clinic is free, somebody just needs to feed this tapeworm I have in my stomach! :D

Scott, I want to see the final product when you get done! :)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be in Atlanta for the Vettes and Vipers Against ****** Cancer. Are you going to be there? We can easily use your car if it is black. I only like to work on the hardest color for demos!

My car isn't black (its red), but has a ton of surface scratches. I'll definitely be at the ****** cancer event and I'd love for you to work some magic on it! Pleaseeeeee :)

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can't get a black car, then I'll take the next darkest color that I can find. The reason I want black is because it easily shows damage the best (obviously). If I am going to convince everyone that what I do works, I have got to use a color that I can't hide behind. That color is obviously black. It separates the contenders from the pretenders. :D

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched AJ work his magic on Friday at Carlisle on my buddy Bubba's black SRT8 Charger. Same results - stunning! I have a lot of work to do on the Viper now, but I'm going to apply some of these techniques first on my Ram 3500. It's a 2004 "Bright White", at the moment, NOT very bright!:lmao: I have two weekends to get it ready for All Trucks at Carlisle.

I am going to take some of the knowledge I learned from AJ working on my black car, and apply it to the Ram. I was also just working on my Superbee - Detonator Yellow, which is also a ****** to keep clean. I've already noticed better results.

Bubba's ride was a little jacked up! But it did come out nice. He now knows the error of his ways. :nono:

Was he appropriately named or what?! :rolaugh:

His paint had its share of swirls, but the main thing is that it was cloudy and lifeless when you looked at it up close. This is a perfect job for Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover.

After instructing him and all who watched on how simple the paint correction process is, I was able to take his paint from pitiful to poppin' in no time. He has been having his car detailed by a detailing "professional", but I think he will now be doing a change up as far as that is concerned.

One thing to notice about the next couple of pictures is what appears to be dust on the paint. This is actually the pearl in his paint that is now very pronounced after removing all of the cloudiness that was covering the paint. Since the car only has 20,000 miles on it, it was not a whole lot of work so that should give anyone who may be contemplating tackling their own car an idea of just how easy this process is.

These scratches appear to have been caused by a careless tow truck driver. Some of them were through the clear coat and into the paint. In a situation like this, you want to make the damage appear a lot less noticeable. That's what we went for and achieved.

That's a lot of car to tackle. He will be busy with the rest of it for awhile. No problem though, he's a big boy! :rolaugh:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, I've admired your work here on the forum for a while now and would love to see it in person. I'll offer up my Sapphire Blue that needs some help if you ever come down to Texas and need a demo car.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas has been on my list and is requesting quite a few visits. Someone should host an event or get me to an event down there. Sapphire Blue sounds like a good color to demo on as my Navy Blue Pearl works nicely also. I'll keep you in mind. :)

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
next time i'll have to! i didn't get there until 5ish on the first day and there didn't seem to be much going on and a lot of the cars had already left.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was still there, fixing somebody's paint until 6:30. We are always the last to leave. I don't want anyone who drove a good distance to miss an opportunity to say "hey!"

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I will be putting on a clinic in Lancaster, Ohio tomorrow for anyone in the area!

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that near Gretna NE........lol

Bruce

Alrighty there Eddie Murphy! :rolaugh:

where are you normally located? ill have to take a trip out to you.

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky and you're more than welcome to come on by. We can take as much time necessary to show you how this is done. Just don't forget about our little side visit to the Texas Roadhouse... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456