The Junkman Touches His First Vipers!

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman,
I had my 03 painted a year ago with Diamont. The finish looks excellent. What should I use to bring out it's full pontial and maintain the shine? All I've done is wax the car so far.
Thank you
Sal
Knoxville

Attachments

• Vipers096.jpg
    Vipers096.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 15

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Man!

I remember you from your first Corvette Forum days. Good work my Brotha!

When are you going to get a Viper:D

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman: I can't believe it! Responded on the last round on this board and stated that I purchased new Adam's products due to you making a believer out of me. Asked if you were coming to Ohio to either Goodguys or Mopar Nationals. You were gracious enough to offer any help I needed. Well, it just happens that I live in "Lancaster OHIO" and I bet you were at the Corvette gathering downtown. Don't think I would have been too welcome in my Viper to show up at the Corvette show! Man what a missed opportunity to have not been able to meet you. Hope you had a good time. Now the Mopat Nats are only 15 miles north of Lancaster, third weekend in August! Hope to catch you there, or maybe next year back in Lancaster. Will need to get together "AFTER" the Covette show ! Ha Ha!

A1998

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr Junkman,

Very nice meeting you at the show! Thanks for the pointers and tips on polishing, I definitely learned something. 1st thing I learned was to watch the video before starting. I think I used to much polish my first go round.

None the less the wifes GTS came out great and I was able to remove almost all the swirl marks and fine scratches on the second attempt after watching the video and your youtube videos.

By the way in case you can't remember who I am, I am the former jarhead that was with Carmen the black new viper. Are you coming up for the Corvette show?

Regards,
Ed

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, your work is spectacular to say the least! Do you use Adam's products exclusively?

No I don't!

I use whatever product best fits the work I'm doing. For most finishes, the Adam's products can rectify the situation. However, if I have been working with some 1500 grit sand paper on an after market paint job, I may have to use something more aggressive by the likes of 3M or Meguiar's. Also, the type of polisher I may use for the job will determine the products that I use. Once your paint is flawless, you can pretty much stick with any professional line of product. But for me and the many different types of finishes I see, I cannot be effective by being a product snob.

I will always pick the best product for the job, before going with the name on the bottle. :2tu:

Junkman,
I had my 03 painted a year ago with Diamont. The finish looks excellent. What should I use to bring out it's full pontial and maintain the shine? All I've done is wax the car so far.
Thank you
Sal
Knoxville

Hey Sal, the number one thing that you must know is that wax DOES NOT make paint shine. Polishing the paint is what makes it shine. Some waxes may add depth to the shine but the shine comes from polishing.

This is what I demonstrate and stress at all my detailing clinics. I never apply wax at the clinics because once I'm done fixing the paint, the shine is very present. Check out these before and after pics from my clinic this weekend in Lancaster, OH:

Here was the subject. Don't laugh, no one knew me well enough to allow me to touch their Vette. After they saw what I did with this Blazer, I had all kinds of volunteers but I turned them all down. They'll know better next time, if I come back!

You must be registered for see images

Here are some close up shots of the damage. The swirls and scratches were in rare form!

And now for the fixed versions! I finished up just as it started to rain. In the pictures, what may appear as scratches or dust are actually rain drops. Somebody up there likes me. :)

As you can see, the paint looks as if it was freshly done. Here's the process I used:

1. I clayed the area that I was going to repair, using plenty of pressure and Adam's Detail Spray as a lubricant. I had to constantly flip the clay as the paint was pretty gritty.

2. Using the yellow pad, I applied 3, pea-sized drops of Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR) per pass. I did about 2 passes with the yellow pad, and then followed that with 2 passes of SHR on the orange pad. That gave me the opportunity to see the scratches that were going to require wet-sanding. I wet-sanded the deeper scratches with 2500 grit paper, followed by 3000 grit paper. After minimizing the look of the scratches (some were too deep to remove), I then repeated the process mentioned above with the yellow and orange pads in order to remove the wet-sanding damage..

3. After that, I did 2 applications of the Adam's Fine Machine Polish (FMP), on the white pad. After those two applications, I wiped the area down with Detail Spray and what you see above is the results. All this was done using the PC-7424XP on a setting of 5 with 9-14 pounds of pressure.

And yes, it was done in the blazing hot sun and I have the tan to show for it! :rolaugh:

Ideally, you do not want to do this in direct sunlight, especially with the heat I was in. This causes all kinds of dusting as the products will quickly dry up while you're working with them. Because of this, I had to constantly spritz the pads with Detail Spray in order to keep the products from drying up. This is more of a learned process than it is an exact procedure.

The paint on that truck was a lot easier to fix than I thought it would be. It cleaned up very nicely.

For your car, the only thing you will need to do if the paint is swirl and scratch free is use FMP to bring out the paint's shine and then wax it with something like the Adam's Machine Superwax. That wax is actually a sealant and you want to apply it in very thin layers (this is true with all sealants). It is made to be applied with the PC, so it goes on very easy. After it dries, you wipe it off and then allow it to cure for 12-24 hours. At that point, you wipe it down with Detail Spray (I like both the Adam's and the Zaino Z6) and apply a second coat if you desire. Most of the time, one coat is all you need although I will do 2 coats on the front of the car if I am taking a road trip that will include driving at night.

That's pretty much it!

That's like asking if Michael Jordan only wears Nike. He gets paid for it.

Now you know the truth! :2tu:

Hey Man!

I remember you from your first Corvette Forum days. Good work my Brotha!

When are you going to get a Viper :D

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

Dang Andy, you left CF??? I can't say I blame you... :D

Small world! Good to see that things are going well with you! I can't afford two babies in my garage. I spend enough time and money on the one I got. If I bought another, I wouldn't have any time left for the ladies!

Good to hear from you bro'! :headbang:

Junkman: I can't believe it! Responded on the last round on this board and stated that I purchased new Adam's products due to you making a believer out of me. Asked if you were coming to Ohio to either Goodguys or Mopar Nationals. You were gracious enough to offer any help I needed. Well, it just happens that I live in "Lancaster OHIO" and I bet you were at the Corvette gathering downtown. Don't think I would have been too welcome in my Viper to show up at the Corvette show! Man what a missed opportunity to have not been able to meet you. Hope you had a good time. Now the Mopat Nats are only 15 miles north of Lancaster, third weekend in August! Hope to catch you there, or maybe next year back in Lancaster. Will need to get together "AFTER" the Covette show ! Ha Ha!

A1998

Yep, I was in Lancaster Saturday, Sunday AND Monday! You should have stopped by. You see what I had to demo on? A Blazer... whoopee! I could have used your Viper and fixed it at the same time! I don't know if Adam will pay for me to go back as it was a small show compared to what I normally do. Man, you should have came through! :smirk:

Mr Junkman,

Very nice meeting you at the show! Thanks for the pointers and tips on polishing, I definitely learned something. 1st thing I learned was to watch the video before starting. I think I used to much polish my first go round.

None the less the wifes GTS came out great and I was able to remove almost all the swirl marks and fine scratches on the second attempt after watching the video and your youtube videos.

By the way in case you can't remember who I am, I am the former jarhead that was with Carmen the black new viper. Are you coming up for the Corvette show?

Regards,
Ed

C'mon Ed, I never forget a fellow Jarhead. I was asking Carmen about you over at the Adam's forum. He wants to snake your SHR and FMP so watch him!

So tell me, are you becoming a waxer now? :rolaugh:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: For your car, the only thing you will need to do if the paint is swirl and scratch free is use FMP to bring out the paint's shine and then wax it with something like the Adam's Machine Superwax. That wax is actually a sealant and you want to apply it in very thin layers (this is true with all sealants). It is made to be applied with the PC, so it goes on very easy. After it dries, you wipe it off and then allow it to cure for 12-24 hours. At that point, you wipe it down with Detail Spray (I like both the Adam's and the Zaino Z6) and apply a second coat if you desire. Most of the time, one coat is all you need although I will do 2 coats on the front of the car if I am taking a road trip that will include driving at night.

That's pretty much it! End Quote

Junkman,
Thanks for the response. What pad should I use for the FMP? I have all 3M pads but can buy an Adams if that's what you think is best. Just let me know and thanks again.
Sal

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great thing about the Adam's system is that the pads are the same color as the product that you use on them. FMP is white, and thus the white pad is used. I'm sure that you can use the 3M pads too, however, I have never used their pads and thus do not know how the colors correspond. The Adam's white pad is a very light cutting pad so if you have the equivalent in the 3M pads, that is the one you want to use.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great thing about the Adam's system is that the pads are the same color as the product that you use on them. FMP is white, and thus the white pad is used. I'm sure that you can use the 3M pads too, however, I have never used their pads and thus do not know how the colors correspond. The Adam's white pad is a very light cutting pad so if you have the equivalent in the 3M pads, that is the one you want to use.

Thank you sir.

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, I think you need to spend some time in Florida. Some place like Orlando. I love your post and the level of detail you provide in you video's. Heck, I know my steel gray Viper would love to meet you as well :D It's a vary unique color. So thanks for all of the posts and who knows, maybe you will eventually come over to the dark side.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is fantastic work Junkman!

Greetings from one 'Ville guy to another :2tu:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....He just said he uses Zaino, 3M, Meguires and others. I guess you're wrong. :)

Read his post with the pictures of the Blazer.

If you seriously believe he "donates" all of his time day and night for the simple fact of teaching everyone who visits the Adam's tent how to polish you are a damn fool.

I have an air guitar I'd like to sell you :lmao:

:usa:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read his post with the pictures of the Blazer.

If you seriously believe he "donates" all of his time day and night for the simple fact of teaching everyone who visits the Adam's tent how to polish you are a damn fool.

I have an air guitar I'd like to sell you :lmao:

I don't "donate my time" when doing shows for Adam's, he picks up the entire tab. Room, food, cars and airfare. If the Viper Club wanted me to come out and they picked up the tab, my time will still be free. The videos that I have done for Meguiar's, Zaino and Adam's? Totally free. I don't get paid to do that stuff. Sal Zaino sent me a thank you and that was pay enough. He now knows who I am. Meguiar's has sent me some stuff too. That's cool with me. Money isn't everything. Just the recognition from the industry is a cool little deal for me.

Here's the other angle that you haven't considered. It's called paying it forward. I learned what I know from trial and error, along with other people who took the time to share what they know. Because of this, the friendships, information and hookups that I have received are invaluable. On every forum that I am on, someone has benefited in such a way that they have opened up their homes, dinner tables and friends and families to me. This has resulted in me having access to goods and services that would have cost me a mint if I had to pay for it. A Viper and Corvette owner told me that if I was ever in his neck of the woods, either car is at my disposal. You just can't buy that type of appreciation. That's why I'm paying it forward.

I learned at a very early age that money is not all that it is cracked up to be. I cannot even come close to putting a price on the friendships that this works has brought me. For that reason alone, I gladly and freely donate my time to show others how this is done. Money cannot come close to matching the smiles I see on folk's faces after I show them how to make their baby shine. It really is that simple. GM didn't pay to do this writeup, but I wasn't looking for money. I was looking out for my friends. That what I enjoy doing. Check out this thread where a Corvette owner gave me his track Vette while I visited California. No charge, just bring it back in one piece. Man, is that a cool perk or what!

Anyway, I work for this guy. He pays me very well to do what I do, and I can sleep in on any day I feel like. :)

P.S. For any of you guys that may be near the New Alexandria, PA area, shoot me a PM. I got a surprise for you this weekend. :2tu:

Junkman, I think you need to spend some time in Florida. Some place like Orlando. I love your post and the level of detail you provide in you video's. Heck, I know my steel gray Viper would love to meet you as well :D It's a vary unique color. So thanks for all of the posts and who knows, maybe you will eventually come over to the dark side.

I may be at the Turkey Rod Run this year!

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<----- Skeptical.

Junkman, sir, I mean to take nothing away from your ability and skill level. I have even admitted that the videos have proven invaluable to myself and many many others.

With that being said, if you perform a service and are compensated for that service it is not a donation. Meals, products, benefits etc. are all forms of payment. I do trust that at least some if not all of your videos were volunteered time. I also don't doubt that you have made a lot of new friends through your hobby. I am just a little appalled at the reaction from forum members who seem to be so blinded by the light reflecting off one of your freshly polished cars and your lackluster attitude toward correcting those beliefs.

I guess everyone these days is looking for a freebie and if you make it appear free, they will come.

We have a guy right here on the VCA and the other site who does tonssss of free write ups. Everyone knows him so it's not worth mentioning his name. The difference, he does not pretend to put on free clinics to teach when in fact he gets compensated for his time and travel.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if Adams is awake and the VCA is awake, why the hell not get Junkman to the upcoming VOI??????????????

If picking up his tab is all he is asking for, I don't think you could get a better deal than that.

Adams would get great exposure to major gearheads at the VOI, most of who own a lot more vehicles than just a Viper!!

Viper Parts of American could start selling Adams...more sales revenue for both companies and a good corporate partnership for future events (raffles, ect). I have yet to see an unkept Viper, so the owners are using some sort of detail and paint protection systems.

I don't know the Junkman or even know that he is the best detailer walking the earth, but what I do know is I enjoy his style, positive attitude and willing to help others when asked. That can't be faked.

Keep up the good work Junkman :2tu:

Cheers,
George

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if Adams is awake and the VCA is awake, why the hell not get Junkman to the upcoming VOI??????????????

If picking up his tab is all he is asking for, I don't think you could get a better deal than that.

Adams would get great exposure to major gearheads at the VOI, most of who own a lot more vehicles than just a Viper!!

Viper Parts of American could start selling Adams...more sales revenue for both companies and a good corporate partnership for future events (raffles, ect). I have yet to see an unkept Viper, so the owners are using some sort of detail and paint protection systems.

I don't know the Junkman or even know that he is the best detailer walking the earth, but what I do know is I enjoy his style, positive attitude and willing to help others when asked. That can't be faked.

Cheers,
George

From talking to the Junkman at the Carlisle car show it seems Adam's would pick up his tab to get to VOI or any large Venue to get exposure to Adam's products. Seeing it work and him do it in person sure made me a believer:omg: I even bought all the body products and gave my old vipers some much needed TLC and can see a significant improvement in the paint. GOOD STUFF!! :2tu:

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman:

Yep, I was in Lancaster Saturday, Sunday AND Monday! . Man, you should have came through!

Come Through !!!!!! You posted late Saturday, I didn't get your post till Sunday Evening!

"IF" I would have known you were there Sunday, I would have been there. "IF" I known you were still there on Monday, I would have had you over for lunch or dinner! You wouldn't even had to do anything! I got the Viper looking fantastic! Would have brought it over Sunday and showed them Corvette guys the "After" product. But then everyone would have been looking at the Viper instead of the Corvettes and that probably would have been the end of the Corvette Gathering. (Ha Ha!) If you're ever back in Central Ohio let me know.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cheers,
George

+1 on this!

Keep up the good work indeed. :2tu:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks George. :)

I believe that Adam's is looking into becoming a sponsor here. He would probably want to get the word out about the ability of his products (if it already hasn't done so), before taking on a new venue like VOI. I can attest from experience that new venues take a few years before they become cost effective (not profitable, just cost effective), simply due to the fact that you're a little known vendor. Plus, Adam prices the products at these shows very aggressively in order to introduce them to new customers and not have to ship anything back to the warehouse. Apparently, that cost a fortune.

Now I on the other hand might be able to do something like this on my own if someone brought me out. I definitely wouldn't ask to be put up in the Grand America! Holy mortgage payment! I just want to rent the room not buy it! :rolaugh:

I'll talk to Adam and look into your suggestions George. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have not heard of that event and you make some very valid points. :2tu:

Come Through !!!!!! You posted late Saturday, I didn't get your post till Sunday Evening!

"IF" I would have known you were there Sunday, I would have been there. "IF" I known you were still there on Monday, I would have had you over for lunch or dinner! You wouldn't even had to do anything! I got the Viper looking fantastic! Would have brought it over Sunday and showed them Corvette guys the "After" product. But then everyone would have been looking at the Viper instead of the Corvettes and that probably would have been the end of the Corvette Gathering. (Ha Ha!) If you're ever back in Central Ohio let me know.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Will do my friend, next time I will give you plenty of notice! :2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trade in that Vette and get a Viper Junkman, I will help you with the detail on it. I learned from the BEST......lol

Bruce

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After seeing AJ in person fix some some things on my car at Carlisle, I'm a believer. I've been using some Adams products a couple years now. In fact, just tried the VRT on the faded black trim on the Superbee, and wow, is it nice. Much better than Mothers Back to Black.

My point is AJ is good at what he does, believes in what he does, and asks for little in return, except for expenses paids. He is also a true gentleman. And he served our country proudly as well.

Scott

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car isn't black (its red), but has a ton of surface scratches. I'll definitely be at the ****** cancer event and I'd love for you to work some magic on it! Pleaseeeeee :)
Chad, you are not serious??? That car has some history in those scratches! One of them has to be from Deb! :omg: It will never be the same! :D You are depreciating the value of your car if they are removed IMO.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman where are you located? Do you get to Bloomington Gold in June for the Vette show?