" The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sales"

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

This time next year no one will need to have threads about the success or demise of the gen5 Viper.

So, if everyone can just wait until August 2014........ so we do not need to discuss/forecast what will pan out within the next 12 months.

I assume production of the 2014 model is beginning soon.

Lets see where we are this time next year. Then we can have 'I told you so' threads all day long.

What da ya say ?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

If sales don't pick up, there won't be an ACR, and if it does get produced, it better have 700HP or the brand dies.

The next Viper I want is a 2010 ACR :2tu:
Well said and I agree on all of this especially the 2010 ACR which is probably the best Viper yet along with the 2002 GTS final edition. You saw very few complaints on these two models. Now when will this controversial thread be closed like mine was recently?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've always said dealers all screwed themselves by them all ordering optioned out GTS. With only 70 SRT ordered, I think most dealers priced themselves out of the market.

I still contend people don't know. Taking my car to cars and coffee in an affluent area - very few knew it was back.

This is what I have been saying all along. IMO let those dealers suffer. F them.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

An article from April 9th. I don't think anyone even had their Gen V by then. :rolaugh:

How many "ordered" GTS' are sitting on the showrooms right now with market value adjustments and dealers thinking they are going to make bank?
I hope they continue to sit on them personally. Sure their may have been more GTS' ordered, but those are also the ones collecting dust.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is what I have been saying all along. IMO let those dealers suffer. F them.

I'd be curious to know how many SRT have been built and sold vs how many GTS have been built and sold. I wouldn't be surprised if all the SRT models are almost gone.

While it is "only" a $32k difference between my $108k SRT and a LE, I wouldn't have felt comfortable dropping that kind of coin on a toy (at the moment). I am sure I am not alone. $100k is enough of a mental hurdle to get over, $130+ is another.

Personally, to me, there wasn't a whole that was compelling between mine and a decked out GTS. Sure, a few nicer creature comforts. But in reality, I am in love with what just the upgraded leather seats has gotten me.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You'd be surprised how many people are dropping close to twice that on 458's. I saw a GTS Bumble Bee this past week locally with a $20k mark up that would make a 458 invisible.

I'd be curious to know how many SRT have been built and sold vs how many GTS have been built and sold. I wouldn't be surprised if all the SRT models are almost gone.

While it is "only" a $32k difference between my $108k SRT and a LE, I wouldn't have felt comfortable dropping that kind of coin on a toy (at the moment). I am sure I am not alone. $100k is enough of a mental hurdle to get over, $130+ is another.

Personally, to me, there wasn't a whole that was compelling between mine and a decked out GTS. Sure, a few nicer creature comforts. But in reality, I am in love with what just the upgraded leather seats has gotten me.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I guess ignorance is bliss... and boy am I blissful! You say the interior is no big deal? Ok. You say that we should have been treated with 750 HP that blows all comers away from the get go? Ok... But what what about this little tidbit that you cannot measure on the butt numbness and cup holder meter or a chassis dyno? The ******* on the windshield factor... Yeah, that's right, the ******* on the windshield factor. Last night on my way back to the hotel in Austin I was inundated with ******* on the windshield. So much so that I had to have a police ****** while running my windshield wipers in 98 degree heat, ******* stuck on the wiper blades, flying back and forth like a checkered flag at Daytona in February... Let's see your Ford Mustakes, your Chebi part-time 4 bangers, your German wedgies or your Eye-talyan shetlands do that! Had I not had traction control and electronic stabilization I am pretty sure I would have been doing donuts on 6th street thanks to the ******* that did not make it to the car but littered the road surface below the 19" 355's with only a paltry 640 naturally aspirated HP. Man am I glad I don't have a huffer on the hisser.

On a side bar and in keeping with ethical truth in advertising, when we got back to the hotel and were letting the valet boys harvest the undies before putting the snake up for the night, they found two or three pairs of crusty BVD's... Oh well, this is downtown Austin... Guess ya gotta take the good with the bad. I think next time I come to Austin for some downtown fun I will drive the Shelby GT-500 KR so I can enjoy a little anonymity and peace and quiet.

No thongs no care. :rolaugh:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You'd be surprised how many people are dropping close to twice that on 458's. I saw a GTS Bumble Bee this past week locally with a $20k mark up that would make a 458 invisible.
Oh no doubt, plus there is the old Ferrari dealer scam of getting you to buy a used car on the lot to bump up the pre-order list for new cars.

Warren miller

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with you, the Viper isn't really the king anymore and unfortunately I fear the new ZR1 Vette is going to blow the Vipers doors off!

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you, the Viper isn't really the king anymore and unfortunately I fear the new ZR1 Vette is going to blow the Vipers doors off!

The new Viper beat the ZR1 at LS and the old Viper beat the ZR1 at the Ring and no one even knows if there will be a new ZR1:dunno:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

New vette is fugly with a capital F

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess the affluent exotic car crowd just isn't cruising the local Dodge dealership during their days off?

SRT should have gone Tesla on the release. Order online only. (Dealers don't test drive anyways) Build up the DREAM...

Should have built them all at once... then shipped them to all new owners on the same release day coast to coast. (Give the dealers the 2014's)

With that kind of hype they would have crushed it sales wise.... crazy? ..... maybe... (Now that cars are trickling out with problems it makes one think about ordering one. If they would have sent them all out the door at once the good "the drive" would out weigh a few delivery/ first run issues..)

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Its all a matter of choice, i think the 458 is the coolest car on the planet. And to hear one pull away at a stop light is absolutely incredable. Then again your looking at 1/4 million dollars. Cant compare a 458 to a Viper in my book. Its not even a fair comparison, Ferarri takes the cake period if you got that kind of money, which i do not.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT should have gone Tesla on the release. Order online only. (Dealers don't test drive anyways) Build up the DREAM...

Should have built them all at once... then shipped them to all new owners on the same release day coast to coast. (Give the dealers the 2014's)

With that kind of hype they would have crushed it sales wise.... crazy? ..... maybe... (Now that cars are trickling out with problems it makes one think about ordering one. If they would have sent them all out the door at once the good "the drive" would out weigh a few delivery/ first run issues..)

The difference is no one complains about the tesla. The viper has many things to love and complain about so that model wouldn't work for SRT. Plus Fiat probably would never allow it anyways. If they did that though I bet the price of the viper would drop 20-30k.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The difference is no one complains about the tesla. The viper has many things to love and complain about so that model wouldn't work for SRT. Plus Fiat probably would never allow it anyways. If they did that though I bet the price of the viper would drop 20-30k.

Again, you are just spouting nonsense. Tesla has severe build delays and they have quite a few QC issues http://www.mercurynews.com/cars/ci_...-forecast-due-slow-model-s-sales-supercharger

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/fo...-85kw-quality-problems-loaded-loaded-problems

So, what exaclty is your point again?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do like the on line order idea ESP since u can't test drive the car anyway. That was a good point.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its all a matter of choice, i think the 458 is the coolest car on the planet. And to hear one pull away at a stop light is absolutely incredable. Then again your looking at 1/4 million dollars. Cant compare a 458 to a Viper in my book. Its not even a fair comparison, Ferarri takes the cake period if you got that kind of money, which i do not.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. In Houston, exotic cars are pretty common to see. We have a huge car community here. At the Cars & Coffee held this past Saturday, my white Viper had a pretty big crowd around it at all times. It was one of the first ones to show up to the event, other than the prototype Launch Edition about 3 months ago. Compare the spectators with the 458 or Aventador on the same day.

You must be registered for see images attach

See the crowd in the background of this photo? They are looking at the Viper.

So, yes, some cars can be perceived as "better" or "more expensive". But, the truth is that people tend to like looking at whatever is the newest toy on the block. And at this moment, that would be the Gen V Viper. It attracts more attention because it is new. When the 458 first came out, it also drew the crowds, so did the Aventador. But, not this past weekend.

Tony

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony;

You are correct in the attention arena. Even though my current Viper a 96' RT/10 is almost 17 years old, when we go to our local Cars & Coffee in Lone Tree, CO it seems to attract the people for some reason. I rarely stand by my car at these events and prefer to just look around and chat with other owners. We get 458 spiders, Lambo murcs, GTRs, ZO6s and ZR1s, slew of rare BMWs (like an M-1), M-Bs, etc., etc. People all take pictures of the cars, but for whatever reason, I have seen them line up their family for a picture in front of my car or ask someone to take a picture of them in front of my RT. Multiple times each Saturday and I move my parking spot around. There is even another older Viper GTS there, yet I don't see that same thing happening even with that car. I beleive it has to do with the no windows, not roof, no outside door handles as I get that asked all the time how you get into the car. You can literally hear them hit their palm on their forhead when I reach inside and pull the door handle, as in how could I not figure that out!

For whatever reason, people have a love/hate relationship with the Viper. It does attract people none-the-less no matter if you hate it or love it. I can see the new G5 doing this as well. Now if for the convertible, they bring back the RT/10 targa look, I think this will really attract people to the car. But this is just IMHO. That configuration is pure Viper and thus was meant for the car. It is a Viper as the G5 Coupe is. Would be a shame to not totally revive it as that is uniquely Viper.

But back to the OP! I think the article defines why the Viper will live. No one buying it wants 1,000s of the car out there every year. In the end, the whole point is to be creating special 1 of 1s all over the place. SRT is viewed as an entire division so all SRT vehicles make up the bottom line as a total. As long as the rest of SRTs line up sells and grows, then the Viper will live. If the rest of the line up starts to really fall down, then it will get very interesting. Still too early to tell, but the flip side is if it died at the end of G4, what would we be possibly talking about now? That in an above itself has achieved a lot. A few more days and I will have bought one for $125.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exotics are huge here in New England too; here's me & the boy with a one of one Pur Blanc SuperSport at the Italian Car Festival from Sunday. Still like the shape of the snake better...seriously.

The Viper is gonna do fine. The people whom love to hate it really love it and want it deep down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 58

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exotics are huge here in New England too; here's me & the boy with a one of one Pur Blanc SuperSport at the Italian Car Festival from Sunday. Still like the shape of the snake better...seriously.

The Viper is gonna do fine. The people whom love to hate it really love it and want it deep down.

I don't think anyone hates it. There is nothing about it to make you hate it. It is a wonderful car. There are just minor annoyances associated with it like all cars.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Again, you are just spouting nonsense. Tesla has severe build delays and they have quite a few QC issues http://www.mercurynews.com/cars/ci_...-forecast-due-slow-model-s-sales-supercharger

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/fo...-85kw-quality-problems-loaded-loaded-problems

So, what exaclty is your point again?
Would you like to pull some forums on bugatti QC? What is YOUR point? Besides to be obnoxious. I'm seriously wondering how you had the brains to afford the car with the smart ass comments you make. Every car has QC issues even if it was a 20 billion dollar car it will have QC issues.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would you like to pull some forums on bugatti QC? What is YOUR point? Besides to be obnoxious. I'm seriously wondering how you had the brains to afford the car with the smart ass comments you make. Every car has QC issues even if it was a 20 billion dollar car it will have QC issues.

OK, now things are getting interesting (exciting) ,

let me know if either of you fellas needs me to tag team and join in ?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that your Bugatti Policy Limits ? and what a handsome boy you have there. God bless him and you dad.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wish. 16 cylinder beast!! But he rolls in our circles...pulled up with another friend driving a Spyker.

Great time for the kids too. Check out Larz Anderson Auto Museum if you're ever in Boston

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wish. 16 cylinder beast!! But he rolls in our circles...pulled up with another friend driving a Spyker.

Great time for the kids too. Check out Larz Anderson Auto Museum if you're ever in Boston

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think anyone hates it. There is nothing about it to make you hate it. It is a wonderful car. There are just minor annoyances associated with it like all cars.

Enlighten us further.

Were you born in the mid 1990's btw?

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The real test is next year when the hoopla is over and there are still '13's on the lot.
No vert or ACR in the lineup to stir up renewed interest.
The '14 sales will be the make or break.

Thats when I think a whole bunch of us on the $$$ fence will jump on the car then. When the greedy dealers get the hell out of trying to **** us with their 40K over MSRP crap!