Reaction score
Dear VCA Member
Your National Officers are Pleased to Announce

Passport Transport

Is the Official Carrier of VOI 11

duPontAd.jpg

Company History: The Original

You must be registered for see images

One MG and Robert Pass was hooked – he became an instant car enthusiast. Since purchasing that MG in high school, Pass has logged many hours restoring cars in his garage, attending auctions and visiting car shows.

As a car hobbyist, Pass realized automobile transportation was risky. Enclosed auto transportation had not yet arrived, and open transport – the only type available at the time – subjected delicate, collector cars and classic cars to rough weather and road grime. The large collector car auctions and private sales that were beginning to take off spelled opportunity for Pass.

In 1970, Pass purchased Frosty’s Delivery Service, a car delivery service equipped with two flatbed trucks, and renamed it Passport Transport. With three employees – Pass, another driver and a secretary – Pass was on his way to becoming an entrepreneur and enclosed auto transporter.

It wasn't long before Pass decided to implement an idea that revolutionized the industry. He rented tractors and purchased furniture trailers from a local retailer, altering the 40-foot trailers to enable them to haul two vehicles. With the new equipment, Passport Transport became the only U.S. company equipped and insured for classic car transport.

By the mid-70's, Pass decided that the converted furniture vans needed improving. Specialized trailers to haul vehicles were not on the market, so Passport hired an engineer to design and build its own, becoming the first carrier to offer custom-built enclosed auto transport carriers. By the early-80's, Passport had 18 trucks on the road, many of which were equipped to haul six vehicles at once. Expanding its capabilities yet again, Passport introduced the most sophisticated liftgate trailers in the industry in 1994, enabling the company to handle the highest load capacity available as an enclosed auto transporter.

In 2000, Pass sold Passport Transport to FedEx Custom Critical, North America’s largest time-critical shipment expeditor. Since the sale, Passport is bigger and better than ever, with a fleet of fully enclosed trailers for classic car transport. Pickup times are faster than ever before and customer satisfaction continues to, and always will be, top priority.

Simply put...For over 40 years Passport has delivered QUALITY service and the experience and reputation to handle the needs of our Viper Community!

Equipment Tour

Our custom-built, hard-sided, fully enclosed trailers feature equipment that you just won’t find using other methods of auto transport. If you need a classic car hauler to get your vehicle to your vacation destination or that next antique auto show, Passport/FedEx Auto Transport is the service for you. We can haul your classic cars, muscle cars, and more.

Power Liftgates
Passport Transport features power liftgates. Vehicles are lifted safely to each level of the trailer. And if the loading surface isn't even, the liftgate can tilt to ensure a smooth, level loading. We also have oversized ramp gates available to safely load longer vehicles, such as limousines and antique fire engines.

Air-Ride Suspension
Air ride cushions your vehicle throughout transit.

Door-to-Door Satellite Tracking
Thanks to the on-board satellite tracking systems in every vehicle, we know where your prized vehicle is every step of the way.

The Details
- Plastic suspended over all vehicles for added protection. Floor mats and seat covers provide additional protection.
- Trailers equipped with winches for loading inoperable vehicles
- Well-lit trailers on the inside, including halogen lighting and skylights for safer loading

Base Rate Comparison One Way(this is not the entire city list)

We are extremely pleased with Passport and the savings we are able to pass along to our members during these economic times!

The rates are based on the Carrier being able to pick up 6 cars at one location, not going door to door.

Please contact your regional President for your pickup and drop off location, usually a local Dodge dealer.

We will work out details with those with less than 6 cars and more than 6 cars per trailer by marrying them up with another city.

Please use the following link to arrange for transportation to Salt Lake City, UT

(Please note when booking online there isn't a field to get the VCA Discount, Passport will call you the next day to confirm your order. When they do, tell them you are a VCA Member and they will give you the discounted rate)

Or Just Call 800-325-4267 and do it all over the phone :)

The hotel address is 555 S Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

SEE YOU AND YOUR SNAKE IN SALT LAKE :2tu:
Chris, Marv, Lee and Bobby

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I know that location. :) Can't wait to for VOI. 11 and THANKS AGAIN TO OUR NATIONAL OFFICERS FOR THIS WONDERFUL EVENT!!!!!!!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are pretty reasonable prices! I've had the 19 +/- hour drive grow on me some....but that could change. Thank-you VCA officers for negotiating this!

Regards,
Aaron

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question I meant to ask is....where do we tell them to drop the car off at? Or will they already have a predetermined spot like the track? I ask because on the web site for fed-ex they ask for a dropping point.
Anyone, and they will get back to you

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drop point is The Grand America Hotel, we have arranged a secure area in the hotel garage.

Here's the address
555 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again Jerz! Now just waiting for a call back from Passport/Fed-ex. :)
The drop point is The Grand America Hotel, we have arranged a secure area in the hotel garage.

Here's the address
555 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

V

Venomiss

Way to go Bobby and great news for those transporting their vipers to VOI!

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great prices good job :)
Those trailering there snake will reallly appreciate your effort .
For me ... The destination will be a blast but getting there will be half the fun . :2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local group is meeting next week and will put together the details and let you know. Thanks for your help Blue and Black brotha.

Bruce

V

Venomiss

I wonder who will be the one that will be the most miles away from home to SLC that brings their Viper via transport?

:eater:
It's a great deal and some are just transporting one way.
Someone from SoCal mentioned they will be driving out and transporting back home.
That way they will have their Viper for the festivities and get home sooner.

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

REMINDER TO ALL VCA MEMBERS

PASSPORT TRANSPORT IS THE OFFICIAL CARRIER OF VOI11

FEDEX HAS SOLD THIS DIVISION OFF, BUT NOTHING HAS CHANGED. SAME MANAGEMENT, SAME DRIVERS, SAME TRUCKS!:headbang:

ONLY THE NAME HAS CHANGED
PASSPORT TRANSPORT

PLEASE NOTE: OTHER CARRIERS WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME ACCESS TO THE EVENT AS PASSPORT

ANYONE WHO SIGNS UP WITH PASSPORT WILL GET A FREE 1 YEAR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE DUPONT REGISTRY

YOU WILL ALSO HAVE 24/7 ACCESS TO FREE TRACKING OF YOUR CAR:2tu:

SO DON'T DELAY, SIGN UP TODAY

MAKE SURE YOU MENTION THE VCA AND VOI11 WHEN SIGNING UP

CALL YOUR REGIONAL PRESIDENT FOR THE PICK UP LOCATION IN YOUR AREA

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not impressed with these guys. They didn't really know jack about pickup or delivery, places or times. They told me that I need to find other VCA members to fill up the truck or I wouldn't get the discount. If I was the only one on the truck then I would have to pay more. ***??

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices quoted were for a full truck load (six cars). With the VCA doing all the work themselves this time around things are a little different. For the rate quoted to us for a full truck load I would be happy to do a little of the leg work myself to get that rate. Check with your region president as they may have set up a pick up/drop off place for you to go to. With VOI getting closer the VCA has been in contact with Passport a lot more lately and are starting to firm up all the details.
Ok, I'm not impressed with these guys. They didn't really know jack about pickup or delivery, places or times. They told me that I need to find other VCA members to fill up the truck or I wouldn't get the discount. If I was the only one on the truck then I would have to pay more. ***??

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices quoted were for a full truck load (six cars). With the VCA doing all the work themselves this time around things are a little different. For the rate quoted to us for a full truck load I would be happy to do a little of the leg work myself to get that rate. Check with your region president as they may have set up a pick up/drop off place for you to go to. With VOI getting closer the VCA has been in contact with Passport a lot more lately and are starting to firm up all the details.

Seems to me that with all the business the VCA is throwing at them they should be a little more flexible. I don't remember seeing anywhere that the discount only applied if the trucks were full. Maybe I missed that. Reliable was more reliable IMO.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full truck load stipulation is listed right at the bottom of the pricing sheet on this page. Print is kinda small. I will agree that it was a bit easier with Reliable. You just called them up and they told you what location you were going to but Passport kinda specializes in door to door. I think everything will work out fine with Passport and can't wait till Sept. 30th. :)
Seems to me that with all the business the VCA is throwing at them they should be a little more flexible. I don't remember seeing anywhere that the discount only applied if the trucks were full. Maybe I missed that. Reliable was more reliable IMO.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full truck load stipulation is listed right at the bottom of the pricing sheet on this page. Print is kinda small. I will agree that it was a bit easier with Reliable. You just called them up and they told you what location you were going to but Passport kinda specializes in door to door. I think everything will work out fine with Passport and can't wait till Sept. 30th. :)

Alright I see the small print now, but that doesn't change the fact that the club is sending Passport a lot of business. Telling me that I have to fill the truck for them seems ludicrous. I would have gladly paid a few more dollars so as not to have to worry about any of this. Now I feel taken, like I'm dealing with a used car salesman (sorry to any of you that might actually sell used cars). All they did was take my name and tell me that in 30 days they should be able to let me know what it will cost and when they will pick it up and drop it off. Seems last minute to me.

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sapphire Bob for your help, I just saw this now

George, As I stated pricing is for truckload. Passport will gladly do door to door for you, but not at that rate. Call Rick, and ask him if he has any pick up points such as a local Dodge dealer.

What most regions have done in the past is set up the pick up and drop off with one or two of their favorite dealerships in the region. It makes life easier for all involved.

1) You're not waiting at home for hours wondering where the truck is to pick up or drop off your car
2) The carrier only has to make one stop (reducing the cost)
3) You can have your snake serviced before the trip to SLC or on its return

Reliable was given the FIRST shot at the business and the only shot at the time. Then they came in at $.65 a mile after I had to chase them for 5 months, and that was the TL price :eek: !
Myself and the 3 other National Officers met with them in Scottsdale in January, and explained to them that the VCA was on their own this year and would like to offer their members a great deal based on the economy and the VOLUME(as you stated as well).

So, if you wish to pay more you can, it's a free country be my guest!

Passport has been in business a long time doing this type of work and they have a great name in the business. Fancy paint jobs and chrome look great on tractor trailers, but all that does is increase the carriers cost to you. I'm in the business and believe me when I say, Passport is a well known name in the Auto Carrier business:2tu:

I hope I have answered your current questions and concerns, please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

And one more thing, Please don't bash the carrier on the board who is doing exactly what we asked of them:2tu:

Regards,

Bobby

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys this is where you really need to push (nicely) your regional officers. It is our job to coordinate pickup points, filling of trucks (as much as possible), drop off times, finding a dealer or secure storage or arranging to have the truck driver contact them 48-72 hours prior to pick up so that everyone can meet the truck and drop off their car directly onto the truck. This is our job, and that's why Bobby said to contact your regional president for your pickup location.

I would also note that the "extra cost" I was given was "$200 per car per direction if only one or two cars are going on the truck", they said they would honor the full truck price for 3 to 6 cars. That's quite generous in my opinion, but as I'm facing being the only one shipping a car from my region, the extra $400 round-trip is quite a hit. That said, it is what it is and I still wouldn't miss this VOI.

Kelly

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem :)

George, As I stated pricing is for truckload. Passport will gladly do door to door for you, but not at that rate. Call Rick, and ask him if he has any pick up points such as a local Dodge dealer.

What most regions have done in the past is set up the pick up and drop off with one or two of their favorite dealerships in the region. It makes life easier for all involved.

1) You're not waiting at home for hours wondering where the truck is to pick up or drop off your car

Reliable was given the FIRST shot at the business and the only shot at the time. Then they came in at $.65 a mile after I had to chase them for 5 months, and that was the TL price :eek: !
Myself and the 3 other National Officers met with them in Scottsdale in January, and explained to them that the VCA was on their own this year and would like to offer their members a great deal based on the economy and the VOLUME(as you stated as well).

Passport has been in business a long time doing this type of work and they have a great name in the business. Fancy paint jobs and chrome look great on tractor trailers, but all that does is increase the carriers cost to you. I'm in the business and believe me when I say, Passport is a well known name in the Auto Carrier business:2tu:

I hope I have answered your current questions and concerns, please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

And one more thing, Please don't bash the carrier on the board who is doing exactly what we asked of them:2tu:

Regards,

Bobby

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regards,

Bobby

Bobby, I know Rick is on top of this and maybe I just had a bad phone experience with the customer service rep. The thing that really made me worry is that the guy said they wouldn't know anything about schedules for 30 days. Thas is the end of August. That seems to be cutting it awfully close. If their schedule doesn't coincide with my needs then it doesn't leave much time to make alternate plans.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby, I know Rick is on top of this and maybe I just had a bad phone experience with the customer service rep. The thing that really made me worry is that the guy said they wouldn't know anything about schedules for 30 days. Thas is the end of August. That seems to be cutting it awfully close. If their schedule doesn't coincide with my needs then it doesn't leave much time to make alternate plans.

I was told to allow a 7 day pickup window, but if needed, they would have the driver call us within 48-72 hours of the pickup time to let us know when he would be there and when we needed to be there. This is great if you don't have a good dealer that's willing to hold cars and/or you have folks who just don't want their car left at a dealer anyway.

The representative I spoke with was very generous in some of these kinds of concessions.