They totaled my Viper today

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they won't agree to pay you for the engine that you had built from the ground-up, why not just accept the $47k and pull the engine and let them have the rest of the car? That would seem fair and reasonable to me...

Not a bad idea at all, but still a PITA for the innocent party to anothers negligence, and there should be payment in addition to this for the additional time and expense it will take the OP to remove, sell, or reinstall the motor and other modifications. If they were willing to work with him, it seems like there would be a way to get through it, but it sounds like the insurance company has taken a hard line and refused to work with the party their client wronged.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Keith should determine if there is a valuation appeal process within the insurance company. If so, he should ask JonB and Doug Levin to help him by providing their expert opinions. They have helped others.

2. Assuming number 1 above does not provide a solution, I doubt that there is enough difference between 47K and what a skilled attorney might be able to get through litigation to justify the fees involved to have an attoreny proceed. If it were me, I would see if the insurance company would settle but instead of requiring me to subordinate all my rights against the dealer and the body shop, I would request that they would allow me to proceed with the understanding that I keep any amount that I obtain above 47K. Since I do not practice in NC and I have not seen Keith's insurance policy, I have no idea whether this alternative is possible. I do know that emotionalism and cussing out people on the other side just causes them to dig in and is always a terrible strategy. But it is a strategy that is consistent with someone who voted for Obama. Sorry Keith. I could not resist.

Hugs,

Bob

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Bob says is good advise. Another thing I'd suggest is to investigate the options you have in lodging a complaint with your states's insurance authorities. That doesn't cost anything but your time and effort, and I've found it to be fairly effective if you can't get an insurance company to treat you fairly. Lodging complaints with the BBB and any other agency that tracks any and all parties involved can also help to move things in the right direction. May as well make use of the tax dollars you've spent to fund some of these agencies :)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, they will likely be able to show in court 47k was a fair offer for the car. I would take it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looky here---the ******** have no class... you can never win with a dirtbag it seems......did not read all the threads here...did you have a talk with the owner...i would think that a intelligent sit down talk with him you woulda come to a fair conclusion..

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably take the $47k, pull the engine and all other non-stock parts, and then leave the rest of the car in the driveway with a pile of stock parts next to it for them to pick up. If they want to have all the stock parts installed, they can pay for that installation just like you did. If they demand that you install it, just open the hood, drive up to the car with front loader, and dump everthing in. Tell them that your installation comes with no warranty...

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take out a full page ad in the local paper. Pic of the car, who did it, and why you are pissed.

Absolutely. Make sure it is 100% factual though, or you will be on the receiving end of the suit.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If they give you $47K and let you KEEP THE SALVAGE CAR, you did, well, er, um; GREAT !

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm betting it's "we'll give you $47k for your car". I think he might have the ability to buy back the salvaged car though.

If you take the cash, does that mean you can't sue the other two parties in small claims court for $5k each?

Walking away with $57k is a good way to start your next Viper project :2tu:

Cheers,
George

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in complete agreement with Plum and JonB. Although my car is worth over $60K to me I would take the $47 and keep the car. The insurance co isn't very "up" on values as my totalled 98 GTS Roe sc car sold for $17,850. Your's has a lot of good parts and if it still runs there's a lot of valuable used parts sitting there.

Ted

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to get over what you paid for your mods vs what it is worth. They made you a fair offer.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to hear, No.1 get lawyer No. 2 dont tell anyone you got a lawyer, especially the other party. Once they find out you got a attorney they will not speak to you anymore. Be calm, you hold the ball. Hopefully they dont say the kid stole the car. If they do that company is not liable for his actions. Im going through the same **** now. Over a month now and no responce other then my insurance company but nothing from his.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to hear, No.1 get lawyer No. 2 dont tell anyone you got a lawyer, especially the other party. Once they find out you got a attorney they will not speak to you anymore. Be calm, you hold the ball. Hopefully they dont say the kid stole the car. If they do that company is not liable for his actions. Im going through the same **** now. Over a month now and no responce other then my insurance company but nothing from his.

Agree to retain the lawyer, but once he has one they should not talk to him--all communications are with his lawyer at that point. And, his lawyer must let them know that he has been retained and all communications are to be with him.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its unbelievable how often we hear of things like this.

It shouldn't be that much to ask that a dealership be respectful of someone elses property.

Sorry to hear about your tremendous loss, hopefully you'll come out ahead on this one!

First off, I apologize for resurrecting an old thread...However....

When I posted in this thread, little did I know that over one year later, I would be the proud new owner of Black Mamba 1! I got the car from X2 Builders in Illinois this August with a previous North Carolina title so I called UGR in NC to see if it was there customer car, and they said no but refered me to Chuck Tator, who knew the car very well. Then after searching the forums I was incredibly happy to have came across this thread.

I am hoping that Keith did not actually end up selling the motor and putting a stock ringer back in, but by the sounds and feel of my car, he absolutely did not. I am so very pleased to find that this car has more money in aftermarket parts and work, than I paid for the car itself. I bought it in the exact condition that Keith posted pictures of. I needed several new body panels, some frame work, and some misc components it is back on the road again.

Keith posted that "Damages came to $31,000 and change." While this may be a tough pill to swallow for Keith, though it does help that I am a metal fabricator, my friend works at Don Scharf Auto, my neighbor is a grade A body man, and all my friends are mechanics, I got the car back on the road to the tune of just a hair over $3,000.

If anyone knows Keith, or how to get a hold of him I would appreciate it, I would like to find out more about the car.

You must be registered for see images attach

BM1 lives on!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell you how relieved i am to know that you knew the history, as soon as I read your other thread I thought Oh Boy, his good mood will last for about an hour till someone shows him this thread.
It seems with your knowledge and contacts you were the perfect guy to buy this car and get it going again!
I doubt he sold the engine, I'm sure someone made him an offer and he just unloaded the whole deal. If he had sold the engine I'm sure Chuck would know as he would have been a reference for the engine.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell you how relieved i am to know that you knew the history, as soon as I read your other thread I thought Oh Boy, his good mood will last for about an hour till someone shows him this thread.
It seems with your knowledge and contacts you were the perfect guy to buy this car and get it going again!
I doubt he sold the engine, I'm sure someone made him an offer and he just unloaded the whole deal. If he had sold the engine I'm sure Chuck would know as he would have been a reference for the engine.

Check on the side of the engine block to see if the VIN that is stamped there, matches the car VIN.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok BM1, just because Obama won the election, and everyone had all that fun posting "politics", and even though your vipers total, (total morans at dealership):drive:, does not mean you have to stop posting !!! Where you been hiding, and whats up with that whole "enthusiast" title?? I think I still owe you some beers? JEEZ THIS POST IS ANCIENT, I'M ALWAYS A DAY LATE, AND A BRAIN CELL SHORT, SORRY :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Keith put a lot of money into that engine close to $30K based on what he told me a couple of years ago. That engine was built with low compression for some type of turbo build down the road but he sparred no expense in building up the bottom end. Keith's next step was to go twin turbo or something before it was totaled. Tator definitely has the specs on that engine 'cause he built it when it threw a rod as a stocker. I believe Sean Roe did the tuning for it. Keith had one lingering issue which was the coputer throwing a CEL that he had to clear often. I don't know if that was ever resolved or it may have went away. Chuck would know. I can get a hold of Keith. I'll let him know you're looking for him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh