Thinking about gears wanted a little advice...

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know i would like to go to 355's and my question is how hard is it to take the rear diff out of the car and apart to change the gears???? Also i just emailed a guy about a set on ebay and he told my my car a 02 gts "Hello, they will work, but your Viper uses 7/16 bolts and this gear uses 3/8. You will need 3/8 bolts and spacers" is this the proper way to do this or no???? thanks for ur help!

Reaction score
The high quality gear sets come with all the bearings, bolts and shims to make this work. If it is not a complete kit I would pass and find a complete one, but that will be more expensive although worth it in the end.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok thanks are they hard to get out like if i had the rearend out of the car and opened and took to a performance shop they should be able to pop them out and new ones in pretty quick??

Reaction score
Should be an easy thing for a performance shop or a gear shop. Dealer Tech time is 10 hours though start to finish if they did the whole job, 6 hours if it is out of the car already.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i know i would like to go to 355's and my question is how hard is it to take the rear diff out of the car and apart to change the gears???? Also i just emailed a guy about a set on ebay and he told my my car a 02 gts "Hello, they will work, but your Viper uses 7/16 bolts and this gear uses 3/8. You will need 3/8 bolts and spacers" is this the proper way to do this or no???? thanks for ur help!

If you saw a 3/8" set and a 7/16" {ring gear retaining bolts} set of gears side by side, you would NOT likley ever buy the smaller-bolt set. They both work, but the "Super" 7/16 set is much stronger, visibly more 'meaty.' You would NOT want to sleeve and shim the smaller set to make it fit 7/16. And if you have an early car that takes 3/8, better to tap the case out to 7/16" to have the stronger gears. Same Price!

PLEASE: If you dont know your Viper options, know your vendor..... at least THIS flea-bay seller told you the truth. Our drive-in shop charges 7 hours.

JonB~~~~~:<~

LATE EDIT: SIDE-BY-SIDE PHOTOS POSTED BELOW..... Thanks Chad

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The changing of the gears is relatively straight forward. The magic is in the set up.

An experienced shop can set the lash on the gears so they run quiet and strong. This is an art, and takes a skilled, experienced shop to do it right.

New gears have a break in period. Run them for an hour or so. Let them cool down and you should be good to go.

Consider changing out the gear oil after a week/month to get out any of the metalic parts from the break in.

Enjoy. Gears are perhaps one of the most rewarding upgrades to make your Viper more fun to drive.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not All Gears Created Equal.....

Here is a comparo of a 3/8" - 355 Ring Gear sitting below a 7/16" 355 Ring gear. They Both fit.....Which would YOU want in YOUR Viper?
You must be registered for see images attach

Also noteworthy, the 7/16" US-Made Spicer-Dana Viper unit on top is also shot-peen hardened..... the 3/8" is NOT.

You can buy a 355 from internet suppliers for under $200......softer, cheaper, imported gears. Even a GEN ONE can beat up the cheaper gears in relatively short order. Why save $150 HERE??

BELOW:

3:55 RING GEAR SUPER-44 7/16" LEFT...3/8" VERSION RIGHT. Which would YOU want transferring all your torque?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya who did you get to put them in for you??? And are you guys going to Atlantic Nationals?? I just got my scedule and i will be home on the 6th!!

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya who did you get to put them in for you??? And are you guys going to Atlantic Nationals?? I just got my scedule and i will be home on the 6th!!

I took the car down to Chuck Tators in NY. If you can that is where I would take it, no worrys about it being done right. Yes we are going to be at the Nationals. Hope to see you there.