This just in...

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took delivery of my yellow 2005 today.

Don't really care for the herky-jerky ride at low RPM but that's typical of a performance cam. I suppose you folks with 3.55's don't have the herky-jerky as bad.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WTG CONGRATS, WHEN IT STARTS TO **** JUST FLOOR IT :2tu: THAT WILL
SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John:

To the extent that it smoothes out as RPM increases, then, yes, the 3.55 results in less surging. But only go 3.55-3.73 if you do not intend to increase horsepower.

Alice

OP
OP

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice,

I can understand what you’re saying in terms of using different gears with increased HP and I’m sure it’s related to issues with traction. This morning I was forced to drive the Viper home in the rain and was surprised how good the traction was. Not once did the back end break loose. I’m sure as time goes by I’ll find out otherwise. Anyway, my Ram 2500 with Cummins Diesel is like an amusement park ride in the rain due to lack of traction. I thought the Viper was a piece of cake in comparison.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John:
To the extent that it smoothes out as RPM increases, then, yes, the 3.55 results in less surging. But only go 3.55-3.73 if you do not intend to increase horsepower. -Alice

Sorry Alice but that's just not so...the stock 3.07 gears plain stink and were ushered into the production units strictly to conserve gas consumption...albeit ever so little. I'm running 3.55's with 750hp and they're about perfect. IMO 3.73's are over gearing for the V-10 torque monster stock or not but the 3.55's freakin rock. Do a search, most go with the 3.55's when making a change and do rave about it. Sure wakes the car up, makes 5th your friend and 6th usable...and no more bucking at low speeds or smoking your clutch with quick starts. If you were going to be running over 800hp or so then you may wish to look for 3.33's...if you can find them that is. Did you know that 3.55's in the SRT-10 are like ~3.33's in a GEN2 due to the GEN3’s 19” rear wheels--just as an interesting side note.

John, if you make one mod...you'll want to look into doing this one first. :2tu:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The jerkiness should become less noticeable as the car gets broken in. Plus, you will learn how to avoid it. Enjoy your car, yellow is sweet.

sal3coach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with ViperJohn after 500 miles or so, the ride settles down--I still keep a **** bag for passengers tho. Maybe the car is the same and we just get used to it...

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let some else drive the car who is not familiar with it and all the jerkiness and noise comes right back. I am sooooo much smother today than I was the first week I got the car.