Those with black cars...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I did to remove all swirl marks light scratches. first I strip clean the cars with a household detergent to strip off the wax and get it down to the paint. I put it under lights so I can see everything on the car. I then take Meguires light cutting number 2 and my porter cable and a lake county light cutting foam pad and work a section at a time. This seemed to remove the swirl marks and any scratches but, leaves the finish rather dull. I then took Meguires M80 which is more agressive then the number 2 cutting. I only use a finishing pad with it so it pulls out the dullness and puts on a great shine. I an going to use a couple of waxes on it and compare which one looks the best I have zymol, Meguires ntx and one other I am going to put them side by side on the hood and see which one does black justice. I will finish this post when I have that answer. Hopfully by Friday.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can some please dumb this down a bit and explain what the "2 bucket method" and a "grit guard" actually are?

I'm more of a driver than a cleaner, but as I'm going to black, I'd like to give this "clean thing" a shot. ;)

At least until I screw it up....:rolaugh:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER use dish detergent...ever.
Scott--we keep things as SIMPLE as possible, as we don't have time...I don't know the 2-bucket method, nor the grit-guard....I just know that we wipe down our car each time we drive it, use detail spray to clean 'er up...bugs? A VERY wet fabric softener sheet gets bugs off beautifully on the fascia...all in 1/2 hour...we do NOT spend alot of time cleaning the car, but we get SOOOOOO many compliments on how SHINY our BLACK VIPER is. Really, it does NOT require alot of muscle. YOUR car will be GORGEOUS...
can't wait to see it!!! To me: JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE!!! ~juli

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is OK to use Dawn once to remove your wax but it is not something you should do very often.

The two bucket method is usually using one3 bucket with just water to rinse your sponge and a second bucket with a grit guard for soap and water. Or there is the two bucket method I use which is 1 large bucket with soap and water for your paint and a second bucket for your wheels also with soap and water. Or if it is real dirty you could go to a 3 bucket method and combine the two above. Bucket for wheels, rinse bucket and wash bucket.

The grit guard is a plastic screen that sits up about 4" in the bottom of your bucket and the grit falls below that so when you put your mit in the bucket it cannot go all the way to the bottoms and pick up the grit off of your car.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use the two bucket method. I use a one bucket method and a hose with a nozzle I wash with one bucket and rinse the wash mit cloth with the hose. Then I blow dry my car with a shop vac. sounds a bit nuts but, It works great gets all the water out of every knook that would only appear after you start driving. Since my viper isn't the fastest if could very well be the cleanest.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For drying first I will remove the nozzle from my hose and sheet the water off with a stream.

Then I will blow dry with a leaf blower and hit remaining spots with a waffle weave towel.

Reaction score
With black cars, I usually just use an all purpose heavy grit course sandpaper from Home Depot, and a high speed grinding wheel and after I get done with the car, you never have to worry about a shine anymore.

Anyone want to bring their car over today and see what I'm talking about.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For drying first I will remove the nozzle from my hose and sheet the water off with a stream.

Then I will blow dry with a leaf blower and hit remaining spots with a waffle weave towel.
The air dry system works well gets into areas that no towel can reach. I never tried a leaf blower, just my shop vac. I will give that a try next time.:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth