Time to discuss Viper Nationals Sept 12-13 rules for Heads Up class

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you might have seen on the other forum the Ohio VCA is planning a Fast 8 class in addition to a dial class. Everyone can run the dial class regardless of mods. The fast 8 (or more if car count justifies) is designed for Mod 2 type cars. One power adder/one stage or any all motor. This can attract 8 to 12 NOS or blower cars that are true street cars. No port injection, only one stage of NOS, stock intake etc. I'm thinking of a rule that limits entries to cars that have not yet been in the nines.
Suggestions? Remember I want one heads up class with the best parity

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably best to limit power adders .... but .... why should I be limited to one power adder when if I have two, I still would not have as much power as some of the n02 or blower cars. Fast 8....I say run what you brung and hope you brung enough.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Tony you run what you brung and Hennessy enters, are you going to come? No way because you don't have a chance. And No One else will be there either. There are only six unlimited cars in the country and what are the chances of them all showing up? I want a car count with rules that dozens of cars feel they are competitive. I want cars like yours. Limited to the bolt on and drive em modification of a street blower or over the counter NOS system. I want a predetermined formula that levels the playing field. It caters to real cars, not tuners. Now who wants to race heads up? If I omit the unlimited cars that leaves a couple dozen Mod 2 cars to duke it out. How do I get them to Norwalk?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is sounding better and better....What do you think 1Tony1,Dr. Roof and Heffner and Too fast cars?
Cudaman :usa:

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Sounds like the event is getting more and more boring to me. Personally, I enjoy watching the RSI cars and H>M>S making an 8 second pass would surely draw a crowd(not to mention the fact that I enjoy driving my 9 second Viper). Aren't the crowds what pays for the purses??

Some of us were running 10.20's and 10.30's in Vipers 4 years ago. It just doesn't sound like you are offering anything special for the fans who are paying for the purse.

Just my $ 0.02

Tom

P.S. A suggestion to make this event more interesting...require a 150 mile drive for all contestants(the NMCA used to do this when they were a smaller entity to insure true streetworthiness). Make the drive a kind of "poker run" where drivers make 4 or 5 intermediate stops for prizes and are rewarded for their efforts. The drive will end at the track in the afternoon of the event(event shouldnt take long with only 4-8 cars)and racing to start immediately upon arrival....NO TUNING TIME...just change tires and pull to the line! This drive should have a time limit for arrival at the track. Any car that can make that drive and be ready to race on time, should be afforded the opportunity to do so, regardless of modifications. What do you think?

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I've been part of the real street drive. I run an NMCA car as well. But, this has got to be the KISS principal. It's only me and a couple Ohio VCA members putting this together. I got to have:
Simple rules, with visual tech. Norwalk is very liberal!!
Simple format, no complicated multi classes. Just a Heads UP Top Dog and a dial in.
I do have the $$$$ to pay the purse which is funded by the Ohio VCA.
Crowd appeal; we will be running in conjunction with the Chrysler Classic, they already have 600 Mopars (8 second Hemi S/S, Pro Mods, King of the Street etc) and a lot of spectators. I've promoted this event for 4 years. The crowds would rather see 8 or 12 10 second Vipers making rounds rather than a couple Unlimited cars that many times don't make two rounds. No offence to Unlimited Cars, but you all are a 1000 miles away and have told me it's too far.
(Viper Nationals offered $8000!!!! in 1999 and got 3 Unlimited cars)
So, help me refine this format. If it's successful I'll be glad to expand next year.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

I understand your sentiments.....and wish you well. It seems as if you are mostly concerned about turnout. You might consider then, just having stock Vipers compete. Tech would be simple, and the vast majority of Vipers are unmodified. At any speed or e.t., I can't think of any kid (or his daddy) that wouldn't love to see a Viper or two racing.

Tom

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Tony you run what you brung and Hennessy enters, are you going to come? No way because you don't have a chance.

oh, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted opinions. And please don't put words in my mouth. I was assuming the car must be a six speed. As far as not having a chance...I would probably have a better chance with a 9.50 car then a consistant 10.00 car. I see what you want/need and I see why, but it doesn't really matter to me who is in the class. I would show or not show based on other things such as dates/time involved/other obligations etc. A faster Viper, I have no problem with. When asked how I did at BG, about the only thing I have to brag on is having the best street tire et........and then I also have to clarify that the fast cars were not running on street tires. Best thing to do is set the rules how you want/need them and run the race.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am NOT flaming just asking.

How did this race get to have the title of Viper Nationals?

I am NOT very familiar with other drag racing set ups but am thinking MAYBE there are already races out there which run into the same problems such as different classes etc etc.

How do those races handle all these problems that are happening here and SEEMED to happen at the last Viper only drag event?

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can Say is It is hard!

This is why we need a Committee to Develop Class breakdowns and make an official Drag Racing Set of Rules! We need the VCA to put the money up and let's do a series!

There is a large interest in drag racing and the biggest problems is the rules are different at every event!

we need to look at the mustang series as well as f-body and develop a class breakdown!

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony is right, the NMRA k, National Mustang Racing Assoc< has the biggest car count of any street car series. Why, it seems Mustang owners want to see how fast their cars are? We seem to not have that curiousity. We have some ********* owners that show up at the Viper Drags, same ones each time. We have dozens of big HP dyno poster, never seem to see them at the track?

Tom I have a format for stock Vipers, the dial in class. PartsRack is putting up a set of new 18" rears for the fast tme=$700 in value.

Tony, I do want your opinion. I need ideas on how to regulate a Mod 2 cars. And I need you to come and show us what you got.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom I have a format for stock Vipers, the dial in class. PartsRack is putting up a set of new 18" rears for the fast tme=$700 in value.

Is there a maximum time limit. I have my car dialed in for a 16.00 second pass at 70mph. I was going to unleash this fury at the Bracket Drags in the One Lap of America event but the drag strip was underwater so the event was cancelled. Who in there right mind wants to watch that nonsense.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Hoosier Daddy, you bad enough to run Heads Up? Is that interesting enough? This is just the kind of positive input I'm looking for! [******], [******], [******] but no suggestions within the scope of the event. Help us out or go away.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, there is going to be a lot more fun than just drag racing! All Mopar Show, Racing and Swap Meet, Good Friends! Saturday Night,you will get to see one of, if not the nicest Viper pits in the country, Calvin Smith's. The meals will be worth more than your entry fees for the drag racing, Steak & Lobster, plus all the trimmings. The meals and most of the cash purse is sponsored by the Ohio VCA, not the spectators.
Paul Suloff is doing a great job organizing this event, as he has done in the past. Let him know what it would take for you to show up? I have been to every "Viper National" and have enjoyed each one and met many new friends, come join the fun!!
Sam Goldfarb, Ohio VCA Secretary

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Hoosier Daddy, you bad enough to run Heads Up? Is that interesting enough? This is just the kind of positive input I'm looking for! [******], [******], [******] but no suggestions within the scope of the event. Help us out or go away.

I know I'm good but my vehicle is only equipped with a K+N's, tubes and Corsa Catback. I don't feel as though I would qualify for the Fast 8. I simply asked in the bracket class is there a slow time limit. If you want to give another response like the one above keep your peanut gallery comments to yourself. Your only turning away a prospective participant who has traveled the US participating in Viper Days events. Was still in the game in Mod 1 class at the last VOI. Not some actual poser wannabee, who will string you along on the computer and not show up when there is a hint of a cloud in the sky!

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<I know I'm good >
Hoosier Daddy, that is what a dial in class is all about. Come on down an show us your stuff. Run the brackets sandbaggin or flat out. Everyone puts the bracket race down, but that is where the most skilled drivers live!!
There might be a green Valiant there for you to challenge?!~

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul I am dumb founded, you were passing out flyers at David B's event and inviting everyone then these rules? It’s your show do what you like but the only way I know how to draw crowds to an event is to have the Heavy Hitters show up. It’s like having a Heavy Weight Championship Title Fight and limiting the weight class to below 160 LB. I would hate to think the rest of the world would think that the quickest Vipers run high 10's at the "Viper Nationals". True street cars? Come down to Houston any Saturday night and I will show you a pack of ravenous snakes out to get it on just ask Dr.Roof how we do it Texas style. I know the RSI and TNT both had plans to attend so please reconsider if you can...thanks

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prashant as I mentioned at BG we hadn't yet established the rules. We did establish a purse, $2000. Haven't seen any of those elsewhere? My goal was to query Viper racers for their input. This what I got. The biggest class is the Mod group. I have established a format to feature all motor, NOS and SC cars. I want a car count, the pecatators are already there (Chrysler Classic has 600 cars amd 3000 spectators in the house). It's not billed as the worlds fastest Vipers, just a Big Dog Shootout.
By the way my feedback at BG from Texas guys (HeavyHitters) making the tow was negative. Honestly, it's farther than I would go too. As you guys tell me why drive to Ohio to race the same cars we see each week in Texas?

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<I am curious, how does this race qualify as the 'Viper Nationals>>

Because I registered it in 1999. It's the richest Viper Event in the country.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happend to this gig? Still only planning on having knives at a gunfight?

What about this; class the cars based upon their modifications and the advertised pricing of what their particular mods cost. That way, a person who spent 50 grand in mods on a 10 second car can have a clear understanding of why he SHOULD be racing against a faster car with 15 grand in mods. And all the 15 grand modded cars can race together regardless of what modification path they chose...?? make sense?

for you road racers out there, keep in mind, this event is advertised as a drag race. Comments about particular set ups don't apply.

Well Paul?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,its looking good for a few of us,Your event is the killer.You have National Event support with the crowd,(awesome)private tent,box seats in the tower,food,drink,the tea house ect.
Here's TOOF's view,former NHRA point champ.I'd run a Double elimination bracket race.As i've said before,everyone deserves two chances at the line to prove themselves or their naturally inconsistant viper.Simple fair to all 8 to 13 second cars.To respect the big dogs,Like Top Gun Tom,and RSI,Apex,you too,give out $$$ for fastest,best 60,ect.Everyone can win,go fast no broken hearts.I hate the class Cr@p,soon it's be limited to amount of boost,bottle pressure in nitrous,ect.That's not viper racing.
PS.Count us in if chic's chick is coming. :eek:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some of the funniest cr@p ive ever read.you guys would never agree on any race, any class,any thing :p . Just show up and lay down some numbers! I'll be there to race in the mod 2 class. Thats as long as people that SHOULD race in the class they belong in.
OR are they afraid RSI would make a ***** out of them???

Max

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im too damnn lazy to read this entire thread but i do know im showing up and if allowed, im racing. from the few posts i read, it seems only certain types of vipers will be allowed to race? or is that just for the purse cause in all honesty i could give a shiit about the cash i just wanna see a helluva show and kill some tires, LOL

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW with this " would you show up if [******] does, no way cause youll lose" talk, then why not do bracket racing, ive been doing it now for only over a month but i sure know one thing, anyone can win whether you run 8 sec or 18 sec its all about skill and consistency

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul I don't think it's fair to limit NOS users to 1 solinoid.You are trying to limit the amount of power.If so,then you fairly must limit the amount of power from the blower people.There is specialty solinoid and line that can spray 250hp,and using a progressive computer,making it work well.My choice is two stage for several other reasons,including price.There's blower people in mod 2 making 100+rw than NOS people,what's the beef with limiting the way I want NOS (power adder) delivered to the motor? :confused:
TOOF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss