Timing Advance on N/A Tune

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked around, but couldn't find much on the actual tuning parameters. Since I'm running a 708 CAM, with heavily ported heads, I wanted to see what the Gen2 folks are running for timing advancement. I can account for the differences in factory timing set to see what advancement I might run.

Although, since the Gen1 has 9.0:1 vs Gen2 at 9.5:1, I should be able to run a bit more timing advance.

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had good luck with adding up to 8 degrees at certain load/rpm points while adding less than 2ms on fueling. WOT AFR at 11.7 to 12.2 with no knock, and very cool motor temps <190.

On the 'other side', w/a 200 Nitrox Shot, I tune to a 11.5 AFR and actually pull 4 degress everywhere.

Next....this summer, I am going to stick to 8 degrees total, and bump up the % applied and see where I run into knock. In the past, the motor seems very sensitive to knock around 4000rpm. The same points in the factor timing curve where there is very little timing advance. Might be a 'sensitive' area. I assume you've found the OEM timing curve, right? Couple of current posts show it. I use it as reference and keep some of the same curve, but bump the timing.

Good luck.

Neal
2002 GTS

I looked around, but couldn't find much on the actual tuning parameters. Since I'm running a 708 CAM, with heavily ported heads, I wanted to see what the Gen2 folks are running for timing advancement. I can account for the differences in factory timing set to see what advancement I might run.

Although, since the Gen1 has 9.0:1 vs Gen2 at 9.5:1, I should be able to run a bit more timing advance.