Tire options?

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What tire options for the front and rear do I have for a 2000 GTS with stock wheels?

This is the first new pair of shoes for the Vipe.

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, or well deserved insults. ;)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What tire options for the front and rear do I have for a 2000 GTS with stock wheels?
One place to start would be go to www.tirerack.com, click on the "Tires by size" link on the left, and just put in the tire sizes you are interested in - 335/30ZR18 rears and 275/35ZR18 fronts. I'd suggest starting with the rear tires, as you likely want them to match the fronts, and a lot of the tires that fit the front won't come in the size for the rears. For instance, I currently see 6 tires that tirerack sells that will fit the rear.

Stock, of course, is the Michelin Pilot Sports, and they are a great all-around tire. In my personal experience, I've run the old Michelin XGTZ's that came stock on my '95, found out exactly how un-sticky the four-year-old street tires were when I spun on the track, tried some Bridgestone cup racing dual-compound tires where were bald in less than 12k miles (and didn't stick that well, anyway), then went to the Michele Pilot Sports (I skipped the Michelin Pilots, which were reportedly a bit better/stickier than the the Sports).

Since then, I'm on my fourth set of Michelin Pilot Sports. I've gotten as low as 14k miles with the Pilot Sports (including a number of autocross events on *extremely* abrasive surfaces), and as much as 28k miles on them. My current '00 RT that I picked up last year has 24k miles on the OEM Pilot Sports, and I'm starting to think about replacing the rears.

If you don't care about tire longevity, many people opt for the stickier Kumho's (ECSTA V700s, I beleive). I'm currently using Hoosier R3S04's for the track (in the 17" size on some '97 wheels), and, while they are street legal, you wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with them.

The only other option I've heard of is the Pirelli P-Zero, but I've not heard anyone that was as happy with them as compared to the Pilot Sports.

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Purdue, I do not drive the car hard at all. I have had 6 nails, screws, you name it in the rear driver side tire and now the integrity is way too compromised to keep driving on them. They still have plenty of tread left.

Randy, Thank you for the info. I will go with the MPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh