Tire wear on inside tire, normal?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

the dealer gave me a call, that on the inside of the front tires the wear is a bit heavier as on the outside. I assume this is normal. On other cars I owned this was due to a healthy dosis of negative camber.Is this also the case with the Viper? I assume on the back it will be the same, but those are new tires, so the dealer won't see it yet.

Greetz.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's "the toe" is this like camber, but than horizontal?

They did check the balance en lining, this was ok.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Something sounds off spec. I would suggest that you get a Gen I Service Manual so that you can match the recommended alignment specifications with the printout of the alignment that just had done.

Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am picking up the car next friday. I will have a look at it than, but I'm pretty convinced that more wear on the inside of tires is normal on a sportscar. On my BMW Z3 Mcoupe it wasn't any different.
I know the former owner is a sixty year old man with a cruisin drivingstyle, the little negative camber could cause some extra wear on the inside than I guess. Maybe I will have to drive it a bit faster in corners than:)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your just buyin the car, have the front end shook down,new rubber all the way around, 4 wheel alighnment and now you no what you have!:)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Something sounds off spec. I would suggest that you get a Gen I Service Manual so that you can match the recommended alignment specifications with the printout of the alignment that just had done.
Please keep us posted.

I agree, but here's an important note- the service manuals for 92 to 94 reflect an alignment spec that was changed in 95. At that time Dodge recommended all years conform to the 1995 specs. Not a biggie, but one of those nit picky things I remember.

NEGATIVE CAMBER EATS INNERS EVENLY... not necessarily a bad thing, but you have to pay attention.... improper toe eats them with a feathering effect.....a bad thing.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but here's an important note- the service manuals for 92 to 94 reflect an alignment spec that was changed in 95. At that time Dodge recommended all years conform to the 1995 specs. Not a biggie, but one of those nit picky things I remember.

NEGATIVE CAMBER EATS INNERS EVENLY... not necessarily a bad thing, but you have to pay attention.... improper toe eats them with a feathering effect.....a bad thing.

Anyone who knows these right specs? I have an 97 service manual, which tells me how to align the car (which I obviously won't do myself), but I can't seem to find the corresponding numbers I need to tell the alignment company. Are they in there somewhere?! Or is there anybody who know the in 95 updated specs?

Thanks for any help, I want to change my front tires and make an alignment right away.

Greetz Roy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Roy. You need the 92 Service Manual...It is my favorite (yes, I have all years) as it has great detail, and none of the incorrect drawings that seem to crop up in later manuals.

Camber and toe were different in 92 then in 95. Ca ter was the same.

95 had less negative camber front and rear, as well as slightly more positive (in) front toe and slig tly less rear positive toe than 92.

My e-mail is in my info...send me your stand alone fax machine number (NOT a computer that is used as a fax), or e-mail, or call me if you want the full data.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! Everything arrived in good order. When the sun is back, I will order some new tires and let the alignment be set.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Roy, I just faxed the 1992 Viper Suspension Torque Specs to you...SORRY that I forgot to include them yesterday...I'm old and senile!!!
:)

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, you're the best...If you keep faxing like this I'll have the complete manual in a couple of months!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456