Tired of exhaust drone giving you headaches? This may fix it....

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Found this on another forum and may be giving it a shot when my engine goes back in. I currently have edelbrock longtubes running into a bullet muffler where the cat once was into a borla muffler and then through another bullet muffler before running out the tips. I'm going to lose the borla muffler first and see what that does for me....but I'm still interested in trying this method. Space permitting of course.

Fancy Tech: How to Get Rid of Exhaust Drone, works great! - Nissan 370Z Forum

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
One word... Corsa. Had a Random Tech for 1 year then switched to a Corsa system and now all is good.

I simply can not bring myself to give that kind of money away for an exhaust...although I was almost cornered into thinking that was my only option. Almost.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hey man...no excuses...I'm a cheapie! I definitely am going to just dump the Borlas first, as per your directives of course, and then see how it goes from there. I'll give this little "new" technique a shot if the drone is still there, and if it's too complicated or there isn't enough room...then the muffler alternative we spoke about will be put into play. If the drone is STILL there then my wallets going to have to once again put on it's latex slave suit and get ready for a ****** from Corsa.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That shows what looks to be just another variation of a Helmholtz Resonator. Except that this time it is being used on the exhaust vs the intake tubing.

Ask yourself this, why would you want to add this, when people are going out of thier way to remove these from intakes as they cause a restriction and power loss?

Best way to reduce/eliminate resonance is to have,
1. Muffler as close to header collector as possible.
2. Muffler as far towards the end of the exhaust as possible. IE under rear bumper cover.
This is assuming no other muffler/resonator is being used inline anywhere else in the exhaust system.
Also no guarantee it will get rid of all resonance.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Funny! My H-Pipe [executed 6/12/96] is now called a "Side Branch Resonator"

The process of tuned reflective sound cancellation is EXACTLY what CORSA engineers build into their cat backs

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two turbos did the trick for me, :drive: , but I have side exhaust with muffler and cat delete. (I wouldn't call the 3" magnaflow muffler a muffler lol)

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ask yourself this, why would you want to add this, when people are going out of thier way to remove these from intakes as they cause a restriction and power loss?

To get rid of the drone...and I bet the losses would be NOTHING compared to putting a similar item into the intake tract. I'm willing to give up a few HP to enjoy long highway trips again. That same question could be asked of those that like to keep their AC, power steering, glass windows, etc, etc...at the end of the day I want an enjoyable street car....that doesn't make my ears bleed....much.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Funny! My H-Pipe [executed 6/12/96] is now called a "Side Branch Resonator"

The process of tuned reflective sound cancellation is EXACTLY what CORSA engineers build into their cat backs

Your H-pipe looks like this? The highlighted tube is the side branch....although an H-pipe WITH the resonators would seem to be a better setup.
You must be registered for see images attach

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read about this posted on a mustang forum last month, they had pipes going inwards capped off. Mustangs have H-pipes yet still have drone. The soundwaves travel into the pipe and reflect back and "cancel" the drone soundwaves. I guess that is how I understood it.

I def want this on my Viper as well, if you find out what size pipe and location post up results! Corsa does sound good though, I just want the mufflers not the whole set up.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I def want this on my Viper as well, if you find out what size pipe and location post up results! Corsa does sound good though, I just want the mufflers not the whole set up.
Will do. I wish Corsa would sell just the mufflers, but they don't of course.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get rid of the drone...and I bet the losses would be NOTHING compared to putting a similar item into the intake tract. I'm willing to give up a few HP to enjoy long highway trips again. That same question could be asked of those that like to keep their AC, power steering, glass windows, etc, etc...at the end of the day I want an enjoyable street car....that doesn't make my ears bleed....much.

Those types of resonators are nothing new. They work is some situations. Other methods work also. Did you happen to hear how anemic that car sounds in the posted video? I went back and actually read that thread. I am also impressed with the "no power loss" bit because he did not feel any. Buttdyno at its finest right there. :lmao:

Why not correct the problem vs using a band-aid?:dunno:
Examples: Muffler type, placement, size. Also size of exhaust tips. You think those exhausts like pictured on that thread are called fartcannons for nothing.....:crazy2:

Hell, it's hot in my car, maybe I should sit on a block of ice vs fixing my a/c?;)

One last thing as I see this thread as a going no where good.....

Did you know that certain OEM's use a similar type of "resonator" on some of thier cars? Only they are well designed and not just a welded on tube with a cap on the end.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My stock 2001 GTS had an obnoxious drone, until I did the Corsa cat-back. Then it just burbled and crackled. Then I did the striker heads + cam, went with Edelbrock headers, (only ones CARB certified w/an EO#), now my car sounds like a beast. Still got the stock cats for now, with 3" clamps each end for future replacement. But damm, it got a bunch louder after the Edelbrocks.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to buy a catback from Sean Roe I wanted a Corsa and he suggested the Borla and add a crossover pipe.He had added a crossover pipe to his own GTS. The crossover knocks out most of the cruising drone and cost $100 from a local muffler shop. I believe the Corsa was 6-7 hundred more than the Borla at that time.

I have been happy with this suggestion.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 72
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One word... Corsa. Had a Random Tech for 1 year then switched to a Corsa system and now all is good.

I agree, my Corsa's are awesome and have no drone. Definitely give Jon B a call and get the Corsa and Random Tech Cats. Jon will hook you up, he did me. :2tu:

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Those types of resonators are nothing new. They work is some situations. Other methods work also. Did you happen to hear how anemic that car sounds in the posted video? I went back and actually read that thread. I am also impressed with the "no power loss" bit because he did not feel any. Buttdyno at its finest right there. :lmao:

Examples: Muffler type, placement, size. Also size of exhaust tips. You think those exhausts like pictured on that thread are called fartcannons for nothing.....:crazy2:

Hell, it's hot in my car, maybe I should sit on a block of ice vs fixing my a/c?;)

Did you know that certain OEM's use a similar type of "resonator" on some of thier cars? Only they are well designed and not just a welded on tube with a cap on the end.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what are you trying to say here? I'm honestly not understanding. I'm thinking that you're just saying "buy a corsa" like the majority....and it's probably going to go down that way if my tinkerings don't fix it. I'd hardly call it a band aid though if it's a permanent fix.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
When I went to buy a catback from Sean Roe I wanted a Corsa and he suggested the Borla and add a crossover pipe.He had added a crossover pipe to his own GTS. The crossover knocks out most of the cruising drone and cost $100 from a local muffler shop. I believe the Corsa was 6-7 hundred more than the Borla at that time.

I have been happy with this suggestion.

That's exactly the way I have mine setup now, but with the H pipe closer to the mufflers.

Call Jon B and get a Corsa. Or screw around and waste your time and money.
I could do that...but that wouldn't be much fun.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why don't you calm down? This is hardly a bandaid fix. If it works, why not go with it? Who cares if there is a tube welded up into the catback to kill the drone. Look at sdaddys pictures. That looks fine to me and doesn't look cheap at all. That car sounded anemic because he doesn't have headers on it...just the catback. It sounds a little louder than a stock 370. A buddy of mine has one with a catback and thats exactly how it sounds. You have never even heard a 370 with a normal catback on it have you? You are just spouting off without any knowledge about that car or it's sound. :lmao: As far as "correcting the problem" as you put it, in order to do what you are talking about, you would have to custom fab up an entire exhaust system. The fix he is talking about is simple and would be a lot less money. This thread is fine...you and your comments are whats going nowhere. Maybe you should do some research before coming on here and insulting CWhiteRUn and trolling in this thread. Were you drunk when you typed this? :lmao:

Call Jon B and get a Corsa. Or screw around and waste your time and money.

I personally do not like the sound of Corsa's catback on the Viper compared to other exhausts, and, I've heard just about all of them. My GTS with headers, cat delete, and a borla sounded much better. But, it had the same drone, Corsa doesn't and that is what makes it more expensive. You can bet that my next GTS will not have a Corsa and I am going to look into doing the exact same thing. In the end, I'll save $500, have a better sounding exhaust, and have no drone. :)

Last edited:

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what are you trying to say here? I'm honestly not understanding. I'm thinking that you're just saying "buy a corsa" like the majority....and it's probably going to go down that way if my tinkerings don't fix it. I'd hardly call it a band aid though if it's a permanent fix.

No arguments here, and not saying buy a Corsa either. All I am saying is that there are other ways to reduce/eliminate drone or cabin resonance. That's all.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My replies in bold. And since you want to be a **** towards me....well...

Why don't you calm down?
I am calm, or was I YELLING WHEN I TYPED MY REPLIES OUT?:rolleyes:

This is hardly a bandaid fix. If it works, why not go with it?
If it works. Care to show me an example on a Viper?

Who cares if there is a tube welded up into the catback to kill the drone. Look at sdaddys pictures.
sdaddy has an H-pipe incase you did not know. Try again.

That looks fine to me and doesn't look cheap at all.
I was not talking about sdaddys H-pipe now was I.

That car sounded anemic because he doesn't have headers on it...just the catback. It sounds a little louder than a stock 370. A buddy of mine has one with a catback and thats exactly how it sounds. You have never even heard a 370 with a normal catback on it have you?
Yes, I have. Buddy next door had one.

You are just spouting off without any knowledge about that car or it's sound. :lmao:
See above.

As far as "correcting the problem" as you put it, in order to do what you are talking about, you would have to custom fab up an entire exhaust system.
No you would not. Re-read what I wrote again. A gave a few examples of how. One would even be a RT with x-pipe. Call JonB and ask him, he sells them.

The fix he is talking about is simple and would be a lot less money.
You don't call that "custom fab"?

This thread is fine...you and your comments are whats going nowhere.
My comments offered advice and suggestions based on real world experience. What have you offered up, but to try and "tell me"?:rolleyes:

Maybe you should do some research before coming on here...
I work in the industry and see more engines and exhausts in a week than you will in a year.

and insulting CWhiteRUn
If I insulted him, my apologies to him. Not my intentions. If I insulted you, well you deserve more for being a ******* towards me.

and trolling in this thread.
Again, I offered advice. Capish....

Were you drunk when you typed this? :lmao:
No, I don't drink. Are you stoned when you wrote this,,,, or just ignorant?
Remember, you started it......I don't mind playing along. You gonna go back and re-read this thread, or you gonna cry to a Mod that I insulted you? :rolaugh:

I personally do not like the sound of Corsa's catback on the Viper compared to other exhausts, and, I've heard just about all of them. My GTS with headers, cat delete, and a borla sounded much better. But, it had the same drone, Corsa doesn't and that is what makes it more expensive. You can bet that my next GTS will not have a Corsa and I am going to look into doing the exact same thing. In the end, I'll save $500, have a better sounding exhaust, and have no drone. :)