tires for drag racing

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this question is asked a lot, but what is the best tire setup for drag racing??? Can people running purner16"w/et streets, 17"kuhmos, 17"nitto drags, bf slicks comment how good or bad they are?
I'm looking to buy a set of tires for the track but want to make sure i don't waste any money buy regreting a rim tire purchase since i have 18" rims. Some people say you have to run skinnies up front with drag radials why others say you don't, whats the right answer??? Do you also have to change to heavy duty halfshafts(unitrax has new 1000 hp ones are they worth the money)?
OH BY THE WAY IF ANYONE WANTS TO SELL ME THERE DRAG TIRES AND RIMS FOR A GOOD PRICE I'LL BE HAPPY TO TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HANDS
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Peanuts said, the Purner 'streets & skinnies' setup is the best out there, and at $2400 for wheels & tires combined, it's a steal. You do need to run the front skinnies with the rear ETs, because the combination of radial (stock) front tires and bias-ply (ETs) rear tires makes the car very unstable. With drag radials, you can continue to run stock front tires. The new DRs on 16" or 17" wheels actually work quite well, though as Peanuts says they're not quite as good as the ETs.
I don't know if you've posted which year car you own? If you have a '01 or '02 car, you will need to modify your rear brake calipers before mounting a 17" or 16" rear wheel. The stock rear calipers on the '01+ cars is larger than on previous models, which is good for braking but will interfere with a smaller-than-stock rear wheel. A few vendors do this mod, which involves machining the rear caliper to recess the brake banjo mount.
If you're going to be drag racing on anything besides stock tires, you really should invest in the UNITRAX half-shafts as your next mod. Nothing ruins a day at the track like breaking your half-shaft on your first runs of the day (been there, snapped that...)
As for the "what mod next" question, I recommend:
1) half-shafts
2) purner's tires
3) line lock (to warm up tires)
4) practice, practice, practice! You've got enough power to run high 10s with practice and the right tires, so get out there and do it! Once you're up to that level of driver skill, then decide whether you want further mods.

BTW, the next horsepower mod is ported heads, lifters and a cam... good for about 60 RWHP over your current levels.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my best 60'

stock sports 1.91
Kuhmos 1.98
ET streets 1.66

Others I'm sure have had different results. BTW Kuhmos make an excellent street tire, if traction is a problem
smile.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitto 555R drag radials are an improvement over stock - but if you're maxing out the stock setup, they're not that much better.

I have gotten in the 1.6 range 60' times on stock MXX3's, and the high 1.5's with drag radials (although that's a hard number to hit). The slicks and skinnies setup will definitely be worth a good tenth or two over the best DR setup. Don't try MT ET's with stock halfshafts tho!

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW mike great 60" times on all your tires. with times like those tires are no issue to you. when are you coming out with your drag race video ??? SOme launching tips from you would be greatly appreciated. So purners are my only choice i see, no one else has a cheap rim you can mount mt et on since slicks will only go on for track time.
as for the halfshafts, which set of halfshafts should i install???( i was told unitrax came out with a 1000hp set)What's a good price for the sets???? are there any other reinforcement measures i should do besides the halfshafts??? hate to break down on the track because of structural strength problems.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't want to spend $2400 for the Purners so I decided to go with kuhmos 17" with some used old stock viper wheels for $670-700. JonB can help you out with this. I did 7 runs with these tires and my best was 1.67 60' time. The purners will definitely give better times but they are alot harder on your half shafts. In fact, you better replace them if you going with purners. Good Luck

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with the Purner setup.
My 60 footers are steady 1.50 to 1.57 and that with two years old tires...
Steady 10.90 runs with my old gen 1 that with only 150Hp spray.

But on the other hand did I just break my differential, hahahaaa... Good 60 foots will kill your rear end.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Mickey Thompson dealer I have been waiting to post this until the tire was avalible but it might sway some folks decision on their tire/wheel decisions.

Mickey Thompson is in the process of testing a 26.0" x 11.5" x 17" E.T. street. This tire will be a perfect fit for the factory 17" front wheels thru 1998. These tires may not be avalible until after VOI, its going to be close. There will also be new sizes in the 16" E.T. Street. I will be able to have any of these drop shipped from my distributor to you. Normally with the local guys I can save them $15.00 to $20.00 off of Summit and Jegs mail order prices on each tire. When I can deliver them in person there is no shipping/handling charges so if they are shipped the savings will not be as much but should still be better than mail order. In fact to beat their prices with shipping charges I may have to sell them at cost which I will do for board members if necessary.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make a slick or drag radial for 18' wheels. I have 2 extra rear wheels I could put a set on.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the news for the 16" ET tire?, dimensions, compound?
/JP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
As a Mickey Thompson dealer I have been waiting to post this until the tire was avalible but it might sway some folks decision on their tire/wheel decisions.

Mickey Thompson is in the process of testing a 26.0" x 11.5" x 17" E.T. street. This tire will be a perfect fit for the factory 17" front wheels thru 1998. These tires may not be avalible until after VOI, its going to be close. There will also be new sizes in the 16" E.T. Street. I will be able to have any of these drop shipped from my distributor to you. Normally with the local guys I can save them $15.00 to $20.00 off of Summit and Jegs mail order prices on each tire. When I can deliver them in person there is no shipping/handling charges so if they are shipped the savings will not be as much but should still be better than mail order. In fact to beat their prices with shipping charges I may have to sell them at cost which I will do for board members if necessary.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32