?titanium exhaust?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well since i cant get a comp coupe financed, i have cash burning in my pocket.

has anyone looked into making a 3inch titanium exhaust for the srt10? alot of suppliers are constantly promoting their cf driveshafts, aluminum rotors, and lighter non-run flat tires. a lighter exhaust would be a great place to lose weight.

i had a honda s2000 and it was amazing the amount of light weight goodies available for it. so why has no one made this for the viper??????

come on people where are the cf hoods, cf front fenders, cf rear panels, and real cf interior replacements? :confused:

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think titanium would be great, but you'r not going to save that much weight. The real culprits in the exhaust system are the sec. cats, and very heavy muffler, not to mention the X-over.

If you go with straight out the side system, and do away with the sec. cats and go to bit lighter muffler you will save about 30lbs. Titanium is just to high, but as high as some of the systems are out there, they should be made from this. I think there are some other benifits from usning this. I do know it can withstand very high heat, and is extremely strong. I have seen some of the stainless systems used on these cars, and they are very heavy. I don't think they should be. I really don't know what's so hot about stainless anyway.

Skip White

ps, I think the 8.1 Chevy trucks come with titanium exhaust, so there really must be something good about for the factory to use such a very expensive metal. It's many time higher than stainless, and somewhat difficult to machine.

one more thing, there really not that many vendors promoting weight reduction. I am. The SRT is a very easy car to reduce weight on. I'm developing many weight reducing items, several are completed. I'm putting on the Paxton s/c this week and it weighs nearly 100lbs(in front of the engine) I hate that, so I'm really on a mission to reduce weight.

Skip White

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think people have reported a 30lb savings from removing the xover and sec cats. so just imagin going with titanium pipes or at least mufflers.

i think carbon fiber fabricators should look into making body panels to make the car more 50/50 in weight.

i refuse to go f/i duo to making the car heavier.

if manufacturers like mugen/vis, have the ability to make a civic almost completely out of carbon fiber why shouldnt we have that option? i mean the typical viper owner can definetly afford it, so why not?

a 3,000 pound viper is more impresive to me than a 800hp overweight viper.

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quickysrt,

I am not sure what you mean by 50/50 in weight, but I have weighed my SRT and found some surprising info. The total weight with a full tank of gas was 3420 #'s. The most suprising was the distribution of the weight. The rear of the car was 1740 #'s and the front was 1680 #'s. Just looking at the car I would have bet money the front was going to be a lot heavier than the rear.

I think we are all on the same page as far as weight reduction. I am going to remove the sec. cats and the x-over in a couple of weeks. I am going to replace the mufflers with ones from Skip. Since I have an extensive shop at my office, we might try to do the piping out of titanium if it is available, and not too costly, and the weight savings is worth it. I'll report on that as it comes together.

Dash
2004 SRT-10

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the SRT has a 48/52 weight dist. The 52 is the rear. This must be with the driver in the car, as you sit very close to the rear axle. I really can't see how they managed that. I'll be very interested in the titanium exhaust, as long as the cost dosen't out weigh the benifits to much. Remember when going out right out the side, such as I have, the system only weighs around 9lbs per side. Theres just not much to it.

They are doing the tooling on the aluminum rotors now, couple that with some light weight wheels and tires and this in an enormous weight reduction.

I bought an SRT intake to have as a swap out, and it weighs around 30lbs, I'm going to check into the benifits of extrude honing, and polishing, or hot jet coating I'll check into, as I've heard many people doing this to there intake, and reducing the weight a decent amount all at the same time. It's gotta be the heaviest intake I've ever seen. The intake is a snap to remove, and if your doing the heads it's a must upgrade.

Skip

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-dash i will be first in line for that exhaust.

-keep up the good work skip :)

-now if we can only get some carbon fiber makers to respond to this post and start making or at least looking into making some body panel replacements.