To bring my Viper or not

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so for those that have not taken their Viper to VOI, I am looking for your input. My current plan is to bring my Viper, but being that I will have to travel across the country I need to weigh all my options which are to drive my Viper or leave the Viper at home and fly (shipping the Viper is out of the question due to cost). With current gas prices the price difference between driving and flying is approximately $2000, so I am trying to determine whether or not that $2,000 is worth being spent or not.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am leaning toward shipping my car out and driving it back. Cost to ship was around .50 / mile last VOI so might not be much different than driving when you factor in gas and hotels. Time is also a consideration with us West Coasters.

T26

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same decision here. Just purchased my Viper and wondering about going without it - is it worth it? Any insight would be helpful.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done both, great to bring it but I guarantee you will have much of the same fun without it. It's about the car but it's also about the people, and it is really amazing to hang out with 700 or so people who have the same interest. There will be well organized luxury buses attending every venue.

No guarantees but SRT has brought Vipers previously for track driving for those who were not there with a Viper. Everyone understands the left coast/right coast thing AND the international situation of bringing a car. Last year it was tough on the east coasters. Interesting as there are 3 Cali posters here, it's natural to think about this.

One thing a lot of folks overlook is the number of right seats that will be empty and available. There will be a great number of couples there but also a bunch of guys alone. One day before the Nashville caravan was to leave I had checked over my car for anything wrong and found 3 nails in three tires and I could not find 3 tires in time. Talked to a few guys who told me what I am saying here and I did not skip it, I hopped a plane and had a right seat at every venue. Helped clean up the cars after each ride as well and threw in a little gas money.

Great stories and friendships come from these situations. Everyone there knows that it rained (hard) every day. I spent several days riding with my Regional President in his GTS and was talked into donating my socks to stuff in the leak coming in the interior. He also used the time to convince me to get involved in planning/hosting events and I took him up on it and eventually became VP and then Regional President. I might have just been a lurker/hanger on without those two days in the car with him.

DO NOT be afraid to come without the car, don't skip it if it's a matter of no time available to participate in a caravan (also a life experience that will not be forgotten) to the event or money is tight to ship it.

There is no way to describe what VOI is like until you attend one, once you have attended you bust your butt to make it back every time. Once those pictures and videos pop up here when the event goes live you will be kicking yourself for not going.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The way things are looking we will drive out. The price of gas at this point is goint o be the deciding factor.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Bring it, its worth it !!! I almost left mine at home for Salt Lake, but brought it. It was worth every penny of the expense.

Ship it, one thing you need to consider, besides the cost of gas, is the extra day or two or three of lost work $$$$$'s. :nono:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring it, its worth it !!! I almost left mine at home for Salt Lake, but brought it. It was worth every penny of the expense.

Ship it, one thing you need to consider, besides the cost of gas, is the extra day or two or three of lost work $$$$$'s. :nono:

The time off work plus 4600 mile round trip is why I'll ship mine. Plus it arrives nice and clean that way. I washed mine at midnight last time and while it was an experience in it self, one I would rather not repeat.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have to worry about lost work $$$$$'s as I have plenty of vacation time banked for this trip, so it really is just the cost of fuel, meals and hotel rooms.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done both, great to bring it but I guarantee you will have much of the same fun without it. It's about the car but it's also about the people, and it is really amazing to hang out with 700 or so people who have the same interest. There will be well organized luxury buses attending every venue.

No guarantees but SRT has brought Vipers previously for track driving for those who were not there with a Viper. Everyone understands the left coast/right coast thing AND the international situation of bringing a car. Last year it was tough on the east coasters. Interesting as there are 3 Cali posters here, it's natural to think about this.

One thing a lot of folks overlook is the number of right seats that will be empty and available. There will be a great number of couples there but also a bunch of guys alone. One day before the Nashville caravan was to leave I had checked over my car for anything wrong and found 3 nails in three tires and I could not find 3 tires in time. Talked to a few guys who told me what I am saying here and I did not skip it, I hopped a plane and had a right seat at every venue. Helped clean up the cars after each ride as well and threw in a little gas money.

Great stories and friendships come from these situations. Everyone there knows that it rained (hard) every day. I spent several days riding with my Regional President in his GTS and was talked into donating my socks to stuff in the leak coming in the interior. He also used the time to convince me to get involved in planning/hosting events and I took him up on it and eventually became VP and then Regional President. I might have just been a lurker/hanger on without those two days in the car with him.

DO NOT be afraid to come without the car, don't skip it if it's a matter of no time available to participate in a caravan (also a life experience that will not be forgotten) to the event or money is tight to ship it.

There is no way to describe what VOI is like until you attend one, once you have attended you bust your butt to make it back every time. Once those pictures and videos pop up here when the event goes live you will be kicking yourself for not going.

Thanks for your thoughts Lee. Because of the round-trip shipping cost from the southwest, I'm faced with not attending or going without my car. My hesitation is and has always been going with my better half without my Viper. Over the past decade of membership I have never attended due to work schedule or excuses (like I don't want to go w/o my car or ...). Yet I have had the good fortune of meeting some great folks along the way like Bill P. and Mark J. in Nebraska, Eddie Martin in Phoenix, George Farris (our first NM VCA President), and on and on.

Thanks for reminding me about us - the people who make up the Viper Nation. Sure it has always been about the car but the relationships and memories with the people is what it is all about. These last a lifetime.

I think I've talked myself into going and really making a commitment to attend with my better half. No more regrets!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just being lazy, don't feel like driving the Viper straight from RI to VA BCH to Charlotte. It's a painful trip on the knee. When I move back to VA I will trailer the Viper.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I'm in the UK, shipping my Viper would be expensive and also mean she'd be out-of-action for a long time - not an option.
Some have done it in the past, but not me.
So I'm gonna go and have just as much fun as I possibly can without my snake BUT I gotta ask this question now to avoid beatin myself up later for not asking:-
Does anyone live in Charlotte who can lend me there Viper in September....??? :dunno: I'm a very careful driver.... :lmao:

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I'm in the UK, shipping my Viper would be expensive and also mean she'd be out-of-action for a long time - not an option.
Some have done it in the past, but not me.
So I'm gonna go and have just as much fun as I possibly can without my snake BUT I gotta ask this question now to avoid beatin myself up later for not asking:-
Does anyone live in Charlotte who can lend me there Viper in September....??? :dunno: I'm a very careful driver.... :lmao:

Uh huh .... What a load of ********! :lmao:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going Viperless might not be as much fun? Depends on the activities and scheduled group runs the VCA will have arranged. At VOI11 it was all about getting up early and running through the Hotel, getting breakfast or coffee, checking out the Vendors and jumping in your Viper along with several hundred other Viper owners and driving off to Miller or to one of the scheduled cruises of the day. Unless your a vendor where you have to open up shop at the Hotel, close down and re-open at the track, going Viperless may be a bit of a bummer?? Remember there's going to be a group photo, 4 lane Drag Strip and some fun cruises I bet for sure! After all this the biggest Viper event in the world, so if your got em, smoke em!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could rent my blue twin turbo Viper. It is 2.5 hours away from charlotte. I am thinking $5000. You won't have to worry about shipping, cleaning, trailering, time off work. You wreak it you buy it. 850HP at your fingertips.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI X there were some Viper provided by Chrysler to try out, but not for exclusive use. They were a blast to drive!

I'm gonna have my Viper shipped because I want it there for each of the events and because I'm bringing a guest. The caravans to VOI's are some of the most hilarious stories you'll ever hear, plus you'll also see the best side of fellow club members if you have a breakdown....you'd be surprised how quickly parts show up when you have a bunch of people with contacts.

Regards,
Aaron

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI X there were some Viper provided by Chrysler to try out, but not for exclusive use. They were a blast to drive!

I'm gonna have my Viper shipped because I want it there for each of the events and because I'm bringing a guest. The caravans to VOI's are some of the most hilarious stories you'll ever hear, plus you'll also see the best side of fellow club members if you have a breakdown....you'd be surprised how quickly parts show up when you have a bunch of people with contacts.

Regards,
Aaron

We are thinking shipping also. Aaron or anyone check on cost for shipping yet one way and both ways.

Glen

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take your Viper, last year went on a boating poker run with a buddy of mine, the whole time I was missing my boat and wished I had brought it, you will miss your car, you will want to take pictures, need to talk shop....easier with car there !!!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are thinking shipping also. Aaron or anyone check on cost for shipping yet one way and both ways.

Glen

One guy was quoted $1850 each way from San Diego. $3700 just to get your car there, then $1200 for airfare, $1450 for registration, hotel $1000? for a total of $7350!!! I think the car will stay at home. Not complaining, just stating the facts, I have been to six VOI's so I know how much fun they can be, especially with your car, but that is steep.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One guy was quoted $1850 each way from San Diego. $3700 just to get your car there, then $1200 for airfare, $1450 for registration, hotel $1000? for a total of $7350!!! I think the car will stay at home. Not complaining, just stating the facts, I have been to six VOI's so I know how much fun they can be, especially with your car, but that is steep.

I'm thinking $1850 ONE WAY and an epic cruise back. Gonna hook up with whatever club I can for the cruise back. At least part way :headbang:

I'm not saying it isn't a little bit painful but look at it this way. If you register now you can pay and get that out of the way and then over the next 4 1/2 months pay the rest. So if I didn't bring my car I would save 1800 bucks? Decision made.

Last edited:

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We are taking the car I was on the fence and my wife said no way we are going with out the car. This will be our 3rd. I called Passport to get a price. I will find out tomorrow. Passport is saying get 6 cars and get a good deal? I will find out and post.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is best, drive out ship back or the other way? At least shipping back you can put all your goodies in the car. Alternatively you can use UPS. When we went to SLC, we shipped our party clothes there and back with UPS for $20 each way. We then drove both ways with just enough clothes/room in the truck.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have shipped/drove twice.

Shipped going out - was fresh for the event that way.

Drove back - not rushed so the cobwebs were not a big issue.

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a quote from Passport 6 car load from Tracy, CA to Charlotte, NC. Per car round trip is $2724.18 or $1362.09 each way.

Glen