To buy from PartsRack or not...

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I figured I would share a little story with you about buying "discount" parts. I recently purchased a rear window for my new to me `94 RT. The "reputable" place - (known for rebuilding Vipers to sale as well as parting out totaled Vipers) - I bought it from assured me the window and weatherstripping were in great shape and charged me $450 for the window. Luckily I knew that they came with bags and asked for a bag with the window - included in the price. Otherwise I feel I would have not received the bag with the window. I paid for 2nd day shipping and received the window as agreed. I opened the bubble wrap, pulled the window out of the bag and found the weatherstripping only being glued to the window on the sides - not the top and bottom - which made it very difficult to install. The window was covered in dirt - not like it had been outside but as if it had been in a warehouse for years. My thought is that an 18" wide roll of shrink wrap for wrapping pallets is about $10 and goes an awful long way, or at least 1/2 way clean the darn thing - but what do I know, I only run a successful business, in an unrelated industry. I rushed the window down to the tint shop, same one that tints all the vehicles in my fleet. Got the window back, installed it. First time I looked in the rear view I notices a 2"+ scratch under the tint starting at the center "snap" moving at a 45 to the right side. Looks like someone with a ring on possibly scratched the window when removing or installing it. Nice... I should have cleaned all the dirt off the window when I got it checked it over for tiny scratches. My thought is I don't want to do business with folks I have to go to great pains to ensure I don't get ripped off.

None the less I feel a little hurt in the back of my shorts - not to mention that everyone told me I got ripped off for a used window at $450 - so much for "trusting" the Viper community.

I had left JonB a VM to call me around 8:30a PST the day I bought the window - a Tuesday. Then I had called the "rebuilders" and another Viper Parts guy who both called back. I figured "it's a rear window..." so i was working on the first one to call back gets the sale principle. Jon called back around 4:30PST. I told JonB that I had already bought one & what I paid - he asked. He told me I could of had a new in the box one for less than that. Now maybe Jon was quilting me a bit but he is a salesman after all.

I have bought enough parts from Jon at this point to buy a new Kia. I aways get bonus freebies and parts delivered as promised. Jon is about as cranky as my SC'd RT in stop and go traffic but we always say "it's the results that count" & Jon delivers results - Price, Quality & Schedule. Maybe it's all that rain up there in the PNW, who knows. I think I'm beginning to understand a tiny bit about Jon. I sense that he feels a bit like a guy working in a performance shop right across the street from a high school where every day at 3pm he gets flooded with tons of tire kickers with empty pockets wasting his time. Maybe not - I really don't know.

Point of this post. Jon will do right by you. He has by me. I turn my own wrenches so price and quality are key for me. I'm not looking for package deals from speed shops - so the whole "Jon's undercutting me..." is not my concern, they are not getting my business anyway. Well we'll see what this next batch of parts looks like - I'm sure they will be great. I really do not have the time to scower the internet looking for the very best price I can get. If the price is reasonable and competitive then I buy. In my limited time I would rather work on the Vipers than search the net to save $20. I'm at a point I feel I can trust Jon to give me those consistent "good deals" so I don't have to look elsewhere to ensure I'm not getting ripped off. It is a huge load off my plate to have a 1-stop shop, especially when dealing with obsolete parts for the Gen1. I throw this out there publicly as a sincere sentiment on my behalf towards Jon. Ok, and also a small hope that those deals stay so good that I never have to look elsewhere.;)..Jon...;););)

If you only need that 1 $50 part once a year...ok, search the net if you don't feel Jon's price is fair. If you are buying tons of parts like I am placing monthly orders - I'd look to Jon. Not to mention the cool extras that arrive in your box from Jon make up for that extra $5 you may have just spent.

This is just my experience with finding and buying obsolete Viper parts, that's all.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
could you be more specific about the builder that it was so I don't get screwed? Like what state they are in? and if they sell on ebay? etc? Sorry I'm a bit thick!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon is good a what he does. no question about it. He even once called me old buddy. Not sure hot to take that but, I accepted it as a comp. He knows Vipers that is for sure.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can neither confirm nor deny the vendor was X2.

I did NOT contact the vendor after receiving the window. As a business owner I view things very differently then the rest of the world may. I also resale used equipment to my clients. I ensure that used equipment is in like new condition, if it requires repainting, parts replacement, or a guy with paper towels and windex, it gets done before it is presented to my client. After a very concise discussion with the vendor about what I was looking for and mentioning that I could get a NIB window from another vendor (not JonB) for $50-$75 more and I "expect the window to be in great shape as described". The weatherstripping is IMO "good" and pliable - just not glued to the window. Hmmm, 2-5 minutes of labor and a $5 tube of glue that you will only use 15% of (well that's what it took me to do it). Do I give the other vendor a 2nd chance...maybe, when they are the last one left who has the part I need. Then I will tuck my napkin in and eat some humble pie. Until then I'll stand beside my belief. These parts may be becoming scarce but...

JMO, nothing more.

Did you give X2 a chance to make it right? Also, the weather stripping of all used windows will be shot. Still usable but not plyable. The only way to get good weather stripping from an OEM part is to buy it new, like JonB had. That said, you can replace the rubber pretty easily, check out this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/584179-rear-window-seal-project.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth