To sell or not to sell

Tyronebiggums

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for an opinion from more experienced Viper owners. As of this year im the proud owner of a red 2002 Viper GTS with 6000 miles on it. It is untouched, never driven hard and zero imperfections.

That does seem to be a double edged sword though. Its an absolutely gorgeous car but I feel guilty driving it due to not wanting anything to happen to it.

Now I have been playing around with the idea of selling it and buying something with more km that I dont feel guilty enjoying.

Long story short, I am thinking of selling it south of the border as I have not gotten much interest here. Is there a high demand for Vipers with this amount of miles in the US? Or would I be better off holding onto it for now?

Thanks!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have this argument with so-called "car guys" all the time -
if youre afraid to drive it, then its not worth having. At the
end of the day its just a car. I think its the prettiest, most
fun car Ive yet encountered, but its still a car. 6,000 miles is
hardly a collectable, and youre getting into that grey area
where by not driving it youre going to end up doing more
damage to soft components than not. Keep in mind, we're one
battery breakthrough from petroleum becoming obsolete - youre
V10s value will plummet when gas reaches $10-15/g... If you
love the car, drive it. If you break it, thats what insurance is for.
These arent going to be the next FordGTs - youre never going
to get your money back out of it but sitting on it...

Make sure you do youre own due diliegence before completing
a sale with a stranger south of the border. I have a friend who
sold a muscle car to a Mexican Business that turned out to be
not-so-trustworthy. In the end he lost the money and the car.
Im sure there are plenty of good buyers down there now that
all of our big business is migrating, but do yourself a favor and
go the extra mile on verfying it. Good Luck.

OP
OP
T

Tyronebiggums

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was kind of thinking I may have been thinking the miles were a lot lower than they really are. It is my childhood dream car, I should really do what I intended and drive it every chance I can.

And I should have clarified, when I meant south of the border I meant selling in the US. It is currently in Canada.

I appreciate the insight.

jjhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, life is too short. You'll never look back on your death bed and think "damn I should've sold that car when I had the chance."

OP
OP
T

Tyronebiggums

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea very true. If I sold in the US id probably buy another right away again anyway.

OP
OP
T

Tyronebiggums

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Mandatory picture since whats a thread without a pic.

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow what a beauty. You the original owner?

No - just bought it with 630 miles on the odometer a few months ago.

All the rubber and interior is in really great shape (from being inside and away from sunlight and cold).

Removing the effects of being 19 years old (its not perfect yet). My Goal: make it so it looks and works like "Showroom New". - working on cleaning (everything)/polishing every surface (down to the nuts and bolts)/new fluids.

OP
OP
T

Tyronebiggums

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow yea thats crazy. Thats kind of how this one is now.

How much did that set you back?

02rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it and enjoy it..... 6kmiles or 8k miles is same when you look back a few years from now at how much you'ld enjoy the driving experience.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wanted to sell/trade in my 97 B/W GTS for a newer one...Once it came to do the deal
..I just couldn't do it..got cold feet
And I think I'm attached to this dang car..LOL
It's a raw feeling that is captured within 2nd gen Vipers

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I don't think I could sell my 1996 gts its too fun to drive ////////

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As silly as it may sound , if it is a US car sold up in Canada it would likely bring decent money down here, but if it is a Canadian Viper , then the value is perceived to be less. Even though out of warranty , still will no bring the same funds ( various reasons from Kilometers on the speedometer to just buyer perceptions ). If car I in miles and can be verified/documented as accurate, then US car could bring you some bucks with the Loonie down.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same challenge as Tyrone. I had a 2010 Vooodoo ACR, #11 of 31. Bought it with 500 miles on it and put another 1,000 over the next 3 years. Never drove it as I was worried about scratching it etc etc. Before the Vooodoo I had a 2006 Vert and loved it, drove it across country a couple of times.
So, I sold the Vooodoo and bought a 2014 Porsche Cayman S with 500 miles and a 2001 ACR with 40k miles on it for the same money. The ACR is a blast to drive (I drove it 800 miles back home in one day from buying it in AZ) and I am not worried about every mile I put on it. The Porsche is also a blast to drive in any weather. One is a scalpel, the other an axe. Both accomplish the same but go about it in very different ways.

Intrazel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can relate to you not wanting to drive it, but it's more of an irrational fear, yes it's only a car, do as I do and park far from the others and you will mitigate damage from dip****s who don't care if they swing they're car doors open into yours, I park verrry verrrry far from everyone, sometimes even taking two spots, it's a Viper, Fukem !! Enjoy it and spend some time with it !

TWISTED METAL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the money you get offered....if someine lowballs you and says 30k for it...u laugh at them, if someone offers u way more than it worth....100k then u sell it. U just need to know where ur tipping point is.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's the color combo you absolutely want, drive it. If not, sell it for the car you want, then drive that.