Top Gear USA

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoyed the 2nd show more than the first. It is slowly growing and the chemisty between the hosts is getting better. They've got a LONG way to go before they're Clarky, Capt. Slow, and Hamster.

The Mitsu run was fun. Seeing them drive in that snow reminded me of when I learned how to drive. Though I didn't have a slick AWD machine; I did it in a 400+ HP '70 Mercury Cougar. :D

The drifting thing was pretty funny. Adam will now be "Mr. Clutch" or "Capt. Burnout". LOL
***IF*** it was legit, HUGE props to Tanner Foust for teaching the blind gentleman those moves. Looks/sounds like he'd be a great teacher (though, I'm not sure he'd be able to help yellow Vipers....that'd be a stretch. LOL)
The very end of the show was SPECTACULAR. I love animals.

What I was really surprised at was that in four pages of comments nobody noticed what Chris did. Even I didn't see it at first.

When the helicopter hit the bird. We had to slow motion it and sure enough it's in there.
Thank goodness it wasn't a turkey.
I think a couple of others posted about it (might have been on a different forum...)

Can I just say "Aston Martn"---Wooped! Neat car but OMG 180K puke!
I sort of agree with ya. The same guy who designed the new Aston body shape also did the new Jaguar XJ and XK. Save yourself about $80K and get a supercharged XK.

Then last night in Episode 2 the mitsubishi nearly beat the Aston Martns time!
I've been following the Mitsibushi Lancer/Ralliart for a couple of years now.
It'd be a helluva DD, but at that price point I'd be tempted to look at the new SHO (pronounced "ess- ach- ohh"; NOT "show").

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to watch ANY show where cars are featured.

Aren't enough of them on TV

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved episode 1. I loved episode 2 even more.

Yea!

It's easily the best car show in North America that I've ever seen.

Greg

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do love the show as far as car shows go, but I think their testing is rediculous. a Viper vs a Helicopter? An Evo vs two skiers? C'mon, lets see some real world comparo's. Whats wrong with doing a Viper vs Corvette, or Evo vs STi so we can see how the cars really stack up.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the UK and US versions seem to be using the same canned laughter and applause recordings from the I Love Lucy Show:lmao:

Not in all instances but definitely in some...

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do love the show as far as car shows go, but I think their testing is rediculous. a Viper vs a Helicopter? An Evo vs two skiers? C'mon, lets see some real world comparo's. Whats wrong with doing a Viper vs Corvette, or Evo vs STi so we can see how the cars really stack up.

Because real world comparo's are boring and no one watches. Car and Driver TV tried it. BORING.

TGA is not a show that's for educating consumers on purchase choices, it's an entertaining show about cars.

If you want to see how the cars really stack up there's dozens of cars magazines that report on that. I'm not sure of you get the TV show MotorWeek. I wouldn;t fret if you don't but we sure don't need another of those.

Greg

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's the style of Top Gear. The UK show is always having strange and odd "races". Truck vs dog sled, car vs public transport, car vs boat, car vs train, car vs plane, they also did a Lotus Ellise vs a chopper, might even of been a cobra, don't remember.

The show is an entertainment show, with some facts thrown in...sparingly.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the hosts is that they seem too "tight". They don't have the screen presense of a Jermemy Clarkson nor have any of them revealed the quirkiness of a James May. They could all use some voice lessons. None project any emotion in their lines.

Having said all that, car shows are like sex. Even when they are bad, they're good.

Cincy

Love the last statement, how true that is. Sadly, the hosts could stink as long as the cars looked good, many would still watch.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I just say "Aston Marton"---Wooped! Neat car but OMG 180K puke! I tell you what, watching this show is truly giving me a new appreciation for the engineers at Dodge! Seriously 125K 150K 180K 250K and not a one can beat the ACR? I get the self indulgent feeling an owner probably gets by owning one (and im sure the interior is to die for). Just would **** to watch that show and see a car half its price be at the top of the list.

Then last night in Episode 2 the mitsubishi nearly beat the Aston Martons time! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I am enjoying this show a lot:2tu:

Once you get into that price point, for many, it is not about being able to say your the fastest. Yes it is great, but many purchasing an Aston Martin are not worried about getting beat by a Viper. They are more so looking for style, comfort, the finer things in life, and possibly just a name. I will be honest, I am in love with the Vantage and nearly purchased one last year but if I purchased one I knew that I am not going to beat a Viper. I just loved the lines, and my gosh, there is no stock exhaust note that can even compare.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That show is filmed largely at the old El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, near Irvine, Ca. The City of Irvine owns the land now. Its about 4 miles from my house!

When they do the celebrity lap, a couple of refrence points in the distance catch my eye-
1. The ferris wheel at the Irvine Spectrum
2. The observation balloon. Painted like a jack-o-lantern back in Oct.
3. A conical radar antenna on the edge of the airfield
4. Marine Air Group 46 Detachment B hangar.

I know, I know. Too much time on my hands!

I went on the stand-by list to get on the show, glad I didnt get in. Those who got in the audience report having to stand still on their feet for 8 hours. Shooting is grueling.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3rd show was pretty decent.
The writing is SO MUCH BETTER when they don't write. :) Let the guys do their own thing, re-take if necessary, and edit it together later. The 3 together are 100x more entertaining/funny than the writers are (sorry writers, but it's true).

I liked the Moonshine Run challenge, and it does relate directly to NASCAR (which ironically has nothing to do with stock cars. LOL).

Tanner dropped a few notches from Woosie/Nerd King with his moves at the fire.
Rutledge's "run from the cops" and ride back with the "officer" was also pretty damn funny.

The best part, of course, was the '76 Eldo getting 8' of air. :D

I'm not signing up for the pre-sales of the first season on DVD, but I am enjoying it thus far via DVR.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've now watched the first 2 shows and must admit that it's a growing disappointment. The blatant pandering to the UK show is now annoying. The dialog has gone from witless to brainless. What remains that's worthwhile are the visuals and some of the cars. Without a Viper in the mix, the rest of the show is best to watch with the sound off.

I will admit that Rutledge does seem to have found SOME marginal sense of ability to be humorous, but the three hosts might as well be mannequins ... ESPECIALLY when compared with the UK show.

IMO and this is obviously due to my perspective, all the hosts are too young. Not that they should be senior citizens, but they all appear (to me) as if they had to ask their folks for the keys to the lambos before they were able to drive them out to the shoot.

Again, it's difficult to appreciate the show on its own merit when it so blatantly mimics a classic.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
interesting show, entertaining. I was a little surprised that they did not mention
2-time Formula DRIFT Champion Samuel Hubinette and the Viper during that segment.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first exposure to the USA show was an episode involving drifting. I have to admit, I felt completely uninterested. Had no connection with the hosts whatsoever and no entertainment from the show. I switched back over to House Hunters Int'l. :dunno:

Is there another host? I saw some big creampuff and a supposed New Yorker who can't do a burnout. If there's another host, I guarantee he has a Kentucky accent.

VERY let down...

...but will give them more chances before I swear them off.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haters!

Hmmmm - Haters without remote controls!

:D

I'm loving the show. I guess I'm more of a car guy than a house hunter guy.....:)

Greg

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is good comic relief, the wife and kids are into watching it to since it makes them laugh. The moonshine episode was very entertaining, only complaint I had was they did not have the Stig run the featured Mustang Laguna Seca car they had on stage. Would have been interesting to see how much slower it was compared to the ACR.

The wife and kid watched a mini marathon of the UK version this weekend and loved the Bolivia adventure (no testing of super cars, just old 4x4's bought sight unseen off the internet). Once the wife and kid figured out that the other two would always rear end James May just to piss him off, they couldn't stop laughing every time they did it.

I hope the USA version makes it so the hosts can develop these little traits and relationships...something that isn't going to happen in just a couple of episodes. Looking forward to next weeks show.

Cheers,
George

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As STIG drives more cars, and the lap-time board grows, you will see that portion of the show as a valid, impirical comparison of the performance of a huge range of cars. Like the Road and Track list. No entertainment, just fact.

The celeb drivers in the SAME car, thru dry and wet, will be a human-study of testosterone vs stereotyping.

All the rest of the airtime are merely skits..... situation comedy with a car as a component. Some are funny...some are not. I did love epi # 1, Vipers vs CobraCopter and [inadvertalty] vs Lambos. Great show.

One of my all-time faves? Toyota Hi-Lux vs Sled Dog Team to the North Pole. Amazing and entertaining.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear TG Austrailia's been cancelled.

What a blessing. I'm such a HATER!

Even though I had the ability to change the channel - I still watched for a few seasons, just hoping it would get better.

It didn't. So I stopped watching about a year ago.

Greg

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree TG Austrailia fell short and I gave up on it after 2 seasons. I'm hopeful for TG USA, it's off to a better start then the austrailian version anyway, in my oppion.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Tonight on Top Gear- Australia.....we test a Holden Maloo versus a very deadly snake. Yes, it's the exact same test we did last week."

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TGUSA is entertaining. Out of all the car shows, this is the one my wife enjoys watching with me, so I guess that hits the mark on that account.

I did enjoy episode 3 as it was entertaining, however I am seeing a pattern that I hope does not continue too far. To show some new cars like the new Ford Boss Mustang Laguna Seca, BUT not test it on the track was a No No. The Stig never drove it for numbers. THAT really ticks me off. I do go there to see the cars and just like with American Chopper in the beginning, I watched to see the craft and the bikes when finished. Now that show is all drama and they barely show the bikes. TGUSA needs to understand that the show is there to appeal to car people so show and test the cars because like a crash in Nascar, that is what people really want to see.

I know Ford probably forbid the testing of Laguna Seca Boss as I am sure it would have gotten mutilated on the track (And I am a Mustang guy saying this), but that is what this car hobby is about. Appeal to the enthusaists and we will tolerate the corny stuff that might attract the passerby or part time watchers.

It will take time but I do hope they keep the real corny stuff off the show. Don't make it like every other reality piece of crap show out there.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember seeing a clip earlier this year of Leno with that L-S Mustang, and even though they were AT Laguna Seca (the actual track!), all the car did was an RPM gauge demo there too.
*sigh*

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Top Gear UK is probably my favorite television show bar none...Even though Clarkson takes pop shots at us "fat" Americans all the time the chemistry between those 3 are fantastic and I just love the way the program flows...I have seen only 1 episode of Top Gear USA and Rutledge is the only guy I think feels "genuine" to me...The other guys especially the New Jersey guy seems like he is trying waaaayyy to hard to copy the British Clarkson which you just can not do period...I genuinely hope the show grows on me, Rutledge with his jokes cracks me up and I really enjoy watching that guy, the others I don't so far...I look forward to seeing how it unfolds, but "Top Gear" equal it ain't, at least not yet IMO...

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually liked it, I didn't see the Viper show first I saw the Moonshiner show and I have to tell you it made me bust out laughin at points and the best part THE GIRLFRIEND ENJOYS IT. She calls it "our" show. If the girlfriend is happy, I'm happy :lmao::lmao:

That being said I saw potential like I said I was rolling laughing at points, like the turn around challenge seeing Rutledge fly off in the ditch and that Caddy that was as long as the road was wide was just hilarious and watching the obstacle course was good too! Rutledge's run from the cops caught me off guard and had me rollin.

That being said the cast could be SO MUCH BETTER! I couldn't stand Rutledge on NASCAR Race Day but I have to admit he's alot better on TG he's more relaxed and his humour is more natural he's not that bad and everytime I think about TG or him the image of him running around Rockingham's infield dumping out Moonshine is the first thing that pops in my head. Now on to the "other guys. I'll start with Adam because he's the one I only dislike, HE IS NOT FUNNY. After listening to him Jersey this, New York that(And Rutledge gets on my nerves with his "down south" stereotypes he uses) he is borderline annoying you can see him try to pop jokes when he's driving but buddy just give it up and his little "nervous breakdowns" before and after every time he sits behind the steering wheel only capitalizes that this is not the show for him!

Now on to the driver I despise more than any other person who has ever got behind the wheel of a race car with a suit on, Foust.... WHY IS THIS GUY SO FAMOUS!?! He's done what? One show that got cancelled(Supercars Exposed) and one show where everyone turns on mute when he talks(Battle of the Supercars)? He has no major championships, heck even a victory in any major form of racing? He's not funny and his, I'm a real driver no one compares to me, cocky attitude is just head numbing annoying.

That being said the hanger written portions need a lot of work and I think it would be nice to let them let go and free ball it but the actual driving parts are pretty good. Nice seeing the Viper having some good publicity for a change. Honestly I'd like to see Pastrana jump on their with the talent he has and with his humour it would really bump the show up.

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew someone would bring up Jon Reep he has some funny stuff but after this blue collar craze I seem him fading out fast. Leno and Pastrana would be fu though!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about this for a lineup?
- Jay Leno
- Travis Pastrana
- Jon Reep

Jay Leno was asked to do the show but turned it down saying he didn't think it would ever live up to the original or something like that...But he definately would have been awesome, wish he would have done it...

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone else see the episode that Leno appeared on?

He was a terrible guest. I really like the Tonight Show and his comedy works for me but as a guest he was terrible.

I'm sure if he did the show as a presenter he'd be excellent - but as a guest he was just not very good. Maybe Jay needs to be scripted?

Cameron Diaz was one of the best guests ever!

Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth