Torquing lug nuts

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is 90ft/pds the correct torque for lug nuts? Although I have some ideas, what is the general risk if the lugs are over-tightened?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is 90ft/pds the correct torque for lug nuts? Although I have some ideas, what is the general risk if the lugs are over-tightened?

After a period of continuous over tightening (street tires/drag tires/autocross tires) you risk them starting to break. Short story, I now torque mine instead of just killing them with the impact ;)

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overtightening will cause the bolt to "neck", hence stretching the bolt. You put the material into the plastic range and as a result, the bolt will actually hold less stress as there is less surface area per length of bolt holding the stress. Try not to do this. Be careful not to inappropriately lubricate the bolt while torquing. This will cause an incorrect torque readings and you will do damage.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overtightening will cause the bolt to "neck", hence stretching the bolt. You put the material into the plastic range and as a result, the bolt will actually hold less stress as there is less surface area per length of bolt holding the stress. Try not to do this. Be careful not to inappropriately lubricate the bolt while torquing. This will cause an incorrect torque readings and you will do damage.

Good tips, much appreciated.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First "Thank you" I have had in months on the board. You are quite welcome.

Soap Box -----
I am sure that there are others on the board who are getting tired of answering questions and then the poster never gets back or "expects" an answer from someone. It is ok if it happens once in awhile. But lately, sheezzzzzz. Endemic.

Over the last months I have seen a distinct degradation of the things that make the club special.

Good to see things getting back to normal.
Good luck.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently, you were suppose to report back and say "I torqued my lugs to 85lb. thanks!"

For the rest of y'all, a thank-you is nice, but when it is nothing more than a bump on a thread, it is a waste of bandwidth. if you are one of the people who HAS to respond to all e-mails / threads / *** / etc... and say "thanks", then you are wasting lots of bandwidth!

I got this guy I work with who does that. if i send him 10 FYI e-mails, I get 10 thank-yous. crap... they were FYI and NRN (aka: no response necessary).

I agree that when someone posts something major like "help me figure out the gremlins in my engine" and gets 20 replies, they should close the loop MORESO for the benefit of the next guy who in 6 months uses the SEARCH button and comes up with lots of 'ideas' rather than THE solution that worked for someone.

But the 'thanks' and 'no problem' and all that wasted stuff... let's save it, yah?

So to this post, i say 'thanks' for opening the discussion!

*soap box = off*

JD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine