Towing Viper with a Jeep

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Plan to tow Viper to VOI 8 with 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Will use a Sloan's Kwick Load flat bed. Does anyone have experience with this set-up?? Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Can you tell I have never done this before??

Reaction score
George:

No problem with the Jeep. Here's the rig I used for a couple of years with no issues. This '98 Jeep has the 5.9L so it has more torque, but you should be fine.

2002TRAILER1.jpg

I'll be towing my Snake to VOI. Perhaps we'll cross paths when I drive through New Mexico.

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great shot...Thankx, Greg. Will stay tuned on the trip...should be able to hook up.

Is there any formula for how much weight to put on the hitch?? or how high the hitch should be?

george

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a '97 Dakota V8 that I tow my '01 with. My trailer is similar to gregs. I use a weight distribution hitch on mine but could probably get by without it. Other than 8 mpg towing I cant complain.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tow with a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee... no problems. I _did_ get an aluminum trailer b/c the capacity on the Jeep is only 6500 lbs... and my trailer _used_ to be 2200lbs empty. Add Viper that's ~5700. Add tires and tools, that's 6100. Add wife's shoes, that's 6400...

Aluminum trailer weighs 1400lbs empty. Makes life easier. How much does the sloan weigh empty?

JD

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 4.7L and tow an enclosed trailer with the snake, and a sh1tton of tools and spare wheels and tires.
Roughly 7,500 pounds.

It can be done. Definately using an open trailer.

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Greg and Joe,

Thankx for taking extra time to give me advice and help. Think I can make it now.

DALLAS OR BUST!!!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the featherlite. I tried to call Texas Roll Back but their customer service wasn't particulaly helpful... And the name of the "dealer" they told me to call didn't ever call me back.

The featherlite is awesome.

JD

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only "tip" I can think of is to remember NOT to put your gear selector in overdrive. I've seen too many drivers destroy their transmission by towing in overdrive.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember people.Rated towing capicity is the absolute maximum for flatlanders doing short distances.Realistic towing capacity is 70-80% of max.Comfortable towing means you have an excess of 3-4000 lbs capacity.So what you need are 3/4 or 1 ton big block or diesel for ease of use and peace of mind.Oh and of course manual trannys too!Don't like the answer?Then visit a truck forum and ask the question.Wrong question for a sports car forum. Bruce

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used my '89 Shelby to tow my Viper on a steel decked open trailer with a stone deflector several times. It has a 318 (same engine as inthe D-150) and a equalizer hitch with sway bars, I would rec these for your rig, they make towing much more pleasant.

I hate towing with the Shelby, it is to light a truck... but it is all I have until the Red Express is trustworthy. I'm glad VOI is only 5 hours away.... should be no need to tow.... if I do decide to tow, it will be with a rented truck if I can find one.