Trailer tires - what PSI for towing the trailer?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my trailer [used] I forgot to ask... what tire pressure should I keep my trailer tires at for towing a full load? Trailer is an 18 ft open...

Thanks!

JD

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my trailer tires say max load at 55 psi.

Make sure you bring at least one spare and the tools to change it. For some reason trailers seem to need as much TLC as a car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the tire, it'll say on there. I figure go with the max reading.

If your trailer is a dual axle then make sure you stay with the same size tire for all four, including the spare of course. If one tire is smaller then it puts more work on the larger tire and causes the larger tire to fail. For the same reason you should check the psi at every fuel stop and keep the pressures identical. I fill an air tank before my trips.

Grease the bearings. If they go bad on the road you're really screwed.

These things have happened to me. Trust me, maintenance your trailer.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph go by what the manufacture says on your tires. Make sure to check your lug nuts to see that they are tight!!!! You do not what to lose a tire off your trailer on the interstate at 70 mph. :eek:

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I've been lucky so far. This could explain why over 70 mph the car gets a little squirlly.

Thanks to all of you for your help! I'll crank the tires up to manufacturer recommended and I'll see some of y'all in BG this weekend!

JD

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 24 foot enclosed Wells Cargo trailer. The trailer manufacturer recommends 50 lbs for each of the 4 tires.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Set your tires to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall of the tire. This should be done when your tires are cold, i.e. before they have been driven on for the day.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 225-75R15 tires are rated at a maximum of 65 psi (cold). I keep them at 60 psi (cold).