Trans out time for new clutch / flywheel

mkarow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a on road 96 RT/10 with 45K. I have broke the counter shaft spline for the second time in the T56. Since the trans is out I am thinking of some changes. I will need a new bellhousing because the other one broke while the trans was being removed...long story. Anyway, how about a ligher flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate. Anyone have suggestions on MILD upgrades? Did anyone try the lighter flywheel and notice a change in ideal quality? What kind of difference has it made? Is there a good clutch setup thats not just a banging trans killer. Something that even reduces pedal pressure required?
Thank you...

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take some extra time, spend some extra money, and while you are rebuilding the tranny have short 5th and 6th gears installed. you will love them. Here are my comments from a previous thread:

"Let me add that in addition to shorter rear end gearing (I have 3:55) if you ever have your transmission apart for any reason take the time and spend the money to have shorter 5th and 6th gears installed. I have an 0.80:1 5th and 0.64:1 6th and they make for nice even steps through every gear from 1st to 6th. AND top end is now in 6th where it should be instead of 5th (redline in 6th in my car would be 200 mph so real V max should be right in the heart of the powerband). I can even use 5th around town once in awhile if I want to calm the car down."

I too blew up my input shaft and when I had the tranny rebuilt the tech was eager to show his skills (he had to machine a few thousands off a shaft to get it done) by doing the shorter top gears. Cost $1,000 extra. The gears come from the Aston Martin/Jaguar version of the transmission. Guy who did it is Alger at a huge transmission rebuilder named Alltrans here in Phoenix:

All Transmission Parts
1333 North 21st Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85009
(602) 252-2614

I'd recommend them for a standard rebuid also. They always have a Viper T56 in stock. Price was $1,550 when I had mine done awhile back. They did the install for me for $400 so the whole rebuild with short gears cost $3,000.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkarow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Phoneix GTS for taking the time to repond. NOTHING beats real first hand information on changes made and how they effected the car. I will look into this more Monday...THX!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTHING beats real first hand information on changes made and how they effected the car.
The first time you drive the car when it is put back together and make the shift from 4th to 5th you will have an "it should have come this way stock" moment (just like short rear end gears). And seriously Alger is the most confidence inspring tech I have ever had work on a car. He's done dozens of Viper T56 rebuilds and when you add in F-bodies, Vettes and Mustangs he has done hundreds of T56 rebuilds. I told him about the gears and his immediate response was I saw that possibility on the Internet. How refreshing! A tech who is up to date. I suggested that I heard Rockland Gear in NY sold the parts, he called them, talked tech, order the parts and I love my new transmission. I hope he still works there. If not let me know and I might be able to find him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine