Trap Speeds

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a stock Viper (up to a K&N filter assembly) what are the trap speeds in the 1/4? Also does running it through the traps in 3rd gear (6,000 or so rpms)versus short shifting it at 5,500 into 4th make a difference in the trap speed on a nearly stock car?

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should see around 125 on stock tires, in my experince shifting at 6 or 5500 didn't really make that much of a diff. Maybe 1 mph less tops.

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
125??? Anyone else here do that with a stock one? Don't get me wrong I would be super excited but that is moving.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
125??? Anyone else here do that with a stock one? Don't get me wrong I would be super excited but that is moving.

Do a search or just look at a magazine...I cant believe a Viper owner doesnt know what the car can do in the 1/4 :rolleyes: Hint its a little faster than a Civic ;)

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
125??? Anyone else here do that with a stock one? Don't get me wrong I would be super excited but that is moving. -tomg

Do a search or just look at a magazine...I cant believe a Viper owner doesnt know what the car can do in the 1/4 :rolleyes: Hint its a little faster than a Civic ;) -SnakeBitten
You must be registered for see images
Ouch.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been lots of times posted here. Not many stock mph as high as 125 though. 121 to 123 is more common.

For me third gear was definitely better. Short shifting netted sub 120 mph every time.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been lots of times posted here. Not many stock mph as high as 125 though. 121 to 123 is more common.

For me third gear was definitely better. Short shifting netted sub 120 mph every time.
I would be happy with the 121 in a stock Viper :usa:

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Snakebitten just purchased the car have not taken it to the track yet. Was hoping for at least what the magazine's said 121-123 but was just wondering what the real world experiences were. Looks like I will leave it in third through the traps.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Snakebitten just purchased the car have not taken it to the track yet. Was hoping for at least what the magazine's said 121-123 but was just wondering what the real world experiences were. Looks like I will leave it in third through the traps.

Hey dont mind me just messing with ya. Just seems like someone that is thinking about purchasing or has purchased a car like the Viper would know its stat sheet from top to bottom...Hell I dont own one but I know what it can do...

Congrats on the purchase man and post some pics will ya..
In case I missed your post on type of Viper...What year Viper[assuming 03, 04 from your answer], what color, 6 speed or automatic, V10 or V11, did you get the optional navigation too??Enquiring minds wanna know.. :smirk:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The magazine tests have produced trap speeds of between 120MPH and 124MPH, and most of the owners reported times split the difference with around 121-122MPH depending on weather and track conditions.

With a stock car I'd definitely stay in 3rd through the traps. With the stock 3.07 gears even 124MPH is well short of the RPM limiter cutoff in third.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! real world 118mph
once in a while scratching your head wondering how you did it..... 120+mph
pissed at yourself that the vette next to you won..... 114 mph

that is all