Trick to get bug guts off of front end

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a dryer sheet.....I don't know how it does it but it works great!!!
Just wet the dryer sheet with water and begin to wipe where the bugs went splat. After wiping, wash the area and dry it off.....it's like magic...no more bugs.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An old trick for airplane owners, evidently the dryer sheets contain an enzyme that dissolves bug guts.

Reportedly works as a bug repellent, too; just hang a few dry sheets from your belt loops to keep the critters away.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife calls it bug jerky...but I found that the Griot's speed shine gets it off pretty easily but the dryer wipes are MUCH cheaper. I think I'll try the mountain scent kind. :D

- tony

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been using the dryer sheet trick for about a year with great results. I think I may have first read about it either on here or in a VCA magazine.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Hydrogen Peroxide is the probably the cheapest way to go. I keep some in the car all the time.

Steve

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard about the Hydrogen Peroxide trick, too. I was reluctant to use that since I wasn't sure the boiling effect was safe for the finish.

Obviously, you have used it. Can you confirm that it doesn't leave any mark on the finish that can't easily be wiped off with a little detail spray and a MF cloth?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has never left a mark or caused me any concern. I don't know for a fact, but I wonder if some of the liquid products available have HPo2 in them as the bug dissolving agent? If so, that would be a very healthy profit margin for them.

I have used other products prior to this and they reacted exactly the same way.......the critter instantly turns white and does a little bubblin'

Steve

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my bumper Zaino'd real good so any buds just wipe right off with soap (Z7) and water really easy.

On cars that I detail that do not have a good coat of protection I soak them with soap and water and then use a micro fiber applicator to scrub them off. The applicator is called the power scrubber and is from properautocare.com and work real well with no scratching at all. Those mesh like bug removers work well also.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I will usually remove them right away with a wet sponge and then dry the bumper as the longer they are on there the harder they get to remove. Bug guts are also very acidic and will eventually etch your paint if left on the bumper long enough. :(

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the dryer sheet have to be new or can it be used?

How about Hydrogen peroxide and wiping with the dryer sheet?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking that is you can pour hydrogen peroxide on a cut in human flesh, your paint ought to be able to handle it. ;)

Thanks for the dryer sheet tip - I'll be checking that out!!!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I carry both Hydrogen Peroxide and the dryer sheets. I also used the dryer sheets last winter for storage -- placed in several places in/on the car.

Steve

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New dryer sheet works, you need whatever white film is in the dryer sheet to wipe off the bugs. After using the dryer sheet, be sure to wash the front with soap and water.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I use the dryer sheets to keep mice away too during winter storage

works great!

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the dryer sheet trick, and it worked well. I removed the white film with the bottle of quick detailer. My concern though is that it seems to me it's only working because we're using water and what basicly amounts to a scouring pad. I wonder, is it scratching the paint on the fascia? Because of it's low location, it would be hard to determine if there are any swirls or scratches. As best as I can see, there are no marks, so....:dunno:
Has anyone been doing this a while, and with no damage?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the dryer sheet have to be new or can it be used?

How about Hydrogen peroxide and wiping with the dryer sheet?

Owns a Viper and wants to save money on dryer sheets. You cheap F!!k. Give your address and I will Fed-ex you a box.....:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a dryer sheet.....I don't know how it does it but it works great!!!
Just wet the dryer sheet with water and begin to wipe where the bugs went splat. After wiping, wash the area and dry it off.....it's like magic...no more bugs.

Wanted to THANK all you guys on this thread who suggested the dryer sheets for removing bugs off front end....wet dryer sheets worked absolutely FANTASTICALLY!!!!! Then just a squirt of the detail spray and voila`, MAGIC....thanx!!! :2tu: ~juli~

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it amazed me too when I first read this thread awhile ago...forgot about it until this past weekend, when bugs galore were on front end, wet the dryer sheet (the key: WET the dryer sheet, and I use unscented, don't think that makes a difference though)...rubbed down the front end, then spritzed with detail spray--works immaculately--no scratches either, of course!! ~juli~

Carmaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tried this last night. Had thousands of bugs on the SRT 10 after a 250 mile drive back from nothern Michigan. Used a "bounce" dryer sheet. Wet the car first and the dryer sheet and just rubbed lightly. Came off very easy. No residue just washed normally after that. Looked great afterwards.