TT Viper anyone?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take one. Not the first one mind you, let others fry their engines first if it don't work. I would take it over a DIY supercharger if the price was about the same. Must be intercooled though. How about some more info on the company Axis, never heard of them.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've known about this adventure for a couple of months now and know the car owner well. The proper research is certainly being done. I have not yet visited the shop to see how it's shaping up, but I will get by there sometime in the next week and report back.

When it's all said and done, if the car & owner can get competitive with - or beat me on the same track, it's a worthy system. TWS and Cabaniss NAS will be the real tests.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

I met Rob the other night and toured the shop. Here are some pics of work in progress:

Dr. John and the Turbo Terror...
You must be registered for see images

The left turbo and plumbing...

A wastegate...

Machine shop...

Updates to follow!

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, she fired up and roared to life without a hitch. Rob I just couldn't hold it in any longer I'm just gonna have to let some of this snake out of the bag. I have to say all the hissing, rumbling and roaring made this one of the most respectable sounding road monsters I've ever heard. When this package comes together it will shock everyone with its value and anyone who waited will not be disappointed. Right now the final securing of oil, fuel and water lines, various pumps, regulators, electrics, controllers, and miscellaneous items are being finished....still no drilling or cutting or welding of factory originals! Rob says it looks like she'll be on the road this coming week and to take it easy 'till we do a little dyno tuning. Jigs, measurements, templates, dies, photos, notes diagrams etc. are being made to make this kit real and affordable. I have a real good feeling about this one.....Stay tuned.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When this package comes together it will shock everyone with its value and anyone who waited will not be disappointed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for keeping us updated, I'll take one! Talk them into adding a intercooler. I would hate to see such a great system made, only to be lacking an intercooler. It would seem like a waste. It can't be that much harder to add one, the hard part has already been done.

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES, TynMann stated above that a stage 2 package would include liquid to air intercoolers. Realistically it shouldn't add much to the cost of the kit, but I'm sure it will based on the improved gains. I think a big mistake is being made with the use of liquid to air intercoolers. Air to air intercoolers are much more practical and more effective. The only concievable performance advantage of using a liquid to air intercooler is a brief 1/4 mile sprint using ice in the liquid. The reason why it isn't effective after a brief sprint is that the liquid becomes heat soaked and ineffective. An air to air is more consistant as it disappates the heat. Apsirated roadracers all use air to air intercoolers for a reason. Liquid to air intercoolers are cheaper, can be made to appear better on the dyno and 1/4 mile, and are considerably easier to place in the engine bay as they don't require direct airflow.

John H

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:

Thanks for keeping us updated, I'll take one! Talk them into adding a intercooler. I would hate to see such a great system made, only to be lacking an intercooler. It would seem like a waste. It can't be that much harder to add one, the hard part has already been done.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Moore:

Well, she fired up and roared to life without a hitch. Rob I just couldn't hold it in any longer I'm just gonna have to let some of this snake out of the bag. I have to say all the hissing, rumbling and roaring made this one of the most respectable sounding road monsters I've ever heard. When this package comes together it will shock everyone with its value and anyone who waited will not be disappointed. Right now the final securing of oil, fuel and water lines, various pumps, regulators, electrics, controllers, and miscellaneous items are being finished....still no drilling or cutting or welding of factory originals! Rob says it looks like she'll be on the road this coming week and to take it easy 'till we do a little dyno tuning. Jigs, measurements, templates, dies, photos, notes diagrams etc. are being made to make this kit real and affordable. I have a real good feeling about this one.....Stay tuned.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, thanks for giving us a little preview! I have been talking to Robert about this system since the day he posted about it. He knows quite a bit about turbocharging and is a very genuine individual. Talking to Rob is like talking to Doug Levin or Jason Heffner, they're all good guys who will do the best job they can while, at the same time, giving you the best bang for your buck. The quality of what he has created looks first rate and the design/engineering mirror the form and function of the natural laws of turbocharging. Everything has been carefully thought out. Robert Tenymann has been designing this system for the Viper for over a year. I have seen other Viper Turbo systems and Tynmann's is the best design by far! It's a work of art! The pictures that Dean Word has supplied have been just what the doctor ordered! Come on guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am dying for some Dyno #'s and some driving impressions and sound clips! Paolo

P.S. Somebody needs to tell me how we can put the noise back into the car that the turbos take out!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paolo Castellano:
P.S. Somebody needs to tell me how we can put the noise back into the car that the turbos take out!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they will make a nearly unbearable-sounding side exhaust become tolerable as well as good looking.

But that's just my personal opinion...

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
I think they will make a nearly unbearable-sounding side exhaust become tolerable as well as good looking.

But that's just my personal opinion...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean, That's the way I like it, LOUD!, Paolo

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean hit it right on the nail head. I've been driving around for a year or so with a 3" side exhaust on my '99 GTS. It has a 3" high flow cat and 3" Borla Sportsman's. It's bad *** sounding on the outside but unbearable on the inside. The turbos have really tamed the sound (especially drone) but at the same time inserted the unmistakable energy of a couple of 100,000+ rpm blowers. It took me days to wipe the grin off my mug. I'm finding the new sound very bearable!

I recall somebody posting something about wanting to use turbos to fix the exhaust note. Well, it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The quality of what he has created looks first rate and the design/engineering mirror the form and function of the natural laws of turbocharging. Everything has been carefully thought out. Robert Tynmann has been designing this system for the Viper for over a year. I have seen other Viper Turbo systems and Tynmann's is the best design by far! It's a work of art!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto this! If you like to be amazed by design and execution of welding craft you've come to the right house and the best part is, it comes from a first class person.

John

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Moore:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on guys! you're killing me! What is the good news? How's it coming? Enquiring minds want to know! LOL!, Paolo Castellano

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in the up-date but I've been a little cranky. It seems some think there's no way twin turbo's should cost so much because superchargers don't and it's so easy to put one together. Anyone that want's what it takes to put a workable twin turbo set-up in their car but isn't ready to reward the dude who figured everything out can have ALL the hardware it takes in a box (no instructions and everything cut and spliced to be within a foot of what's needed with a box of zip ties) for 6000. If you want this, don't be asking any simple questions like:

Where should we put the oil pump?
Where should we put the new fuel pump?
What kind of lines do we need?
Where do we put the relays?
Which terminals do we come off of?
How about the FMU, the extra fuel pressure regulator
and all their vacuum lines?
What kind of fittings are on the existing fuel lines?
Where do we get weather pack plugs that match the
factory stuff, you know the crank position sensor and
it's wiring harness plugs and the cam timing sensor and
plugs.
How about boost and timing and fuel management? Sure any
ole' shade tree mechanic knows about that. Doesn't take
but a minute to figure that out. Let's see... couple hours
for education, couple minutes to think it up, an hour or
two to order everything you need and an hour to throw
it on the car. Thirty minutes to tune the engine to
detonate. Oh wait a minute, take that off the tab, it
didn't happen.
Water cooled turbos. Wow! Water lines, fittings, tees,
hoses, etc.
How about oil to the bearings ?
Where are all these lines going and coming?
What kind of fittings on everything? NPT? AN? -3? -4?
-6? SAE? Tapered? Straight?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Hey wait a minute, I'm not the one engineering this thing. You ought to talk to the ones that know what they're up against. What ever you do, don't ask them if they think getting a few hundred bucks a kit is worth hundreds of hours of their blood, sweat and tears. They might just figure it ain't worth it and I'm gonna have one of the very few Twin turbo beasts on earth.

For those that wonder if superchargers are better than turbos you'll have to ask Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, Volvo, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Bugatti, Buick GN, CART, F1, LeMans, Indy, ALMS, etc., etc., on and on.

Believe it or not, I haven't even scratched the surface of how amazing it is to boost the volumetric efficiency of our engines the way only turbos can. The area under our already astounding power and torque curves can be very broadly boosted if properly sized turbos are utilized. Many have already seen impressive dyno graphs shown by other turbo cars. "No strain all gain."

Sorry about the rant but I just had to air out some concerns. Progress is being made but it may be that too much time is being spent developing this into a real, easily installed, trouble free, precision, aesthetic system. Yes, he wants it to look awesome too. So far it runs, sounds awesome, looks incredible. Right now lines are being measured and fabricated to exacting lengths, final routing and mounting of accessory items are being done. This is a bit tedious and time consuming but adds a lot to fit and finish as well as reliability and predictability. After all a good show at the dyno and track are the goal. I will be out of town next week which is going to be tough, so I'll have to wait and report on findings after that. Thanks for lending your ear. Ask Rob for updates and let him know if you think it's worth his time. Later.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in the up-date but I've been a little cranky. It seems some think there's no way twin turbo's should cost so much because superchargers don't and it's so easy to put one together. Anyone that want's what it takes to put a workable twin turbo set-up in their car but isn't ready to reward the dude who figured everything out can have ALL the hardware it takes in a box (no instructions and everything cut and spliced to be within a foot of what's needed with a box of zip ties) for 6000. For those that wonder if superchargers are better than turbos you'll have to ask Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, Volvo, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Bugatti, Buick GN, CART, F1, LeMans, Indy, ALMS, etc., etc., on and on.

Believe it or not, I haven't even scratched the surface of how amazing it is to boost the volumetric efficiency of our engines the way only turbos can. The area under our already astounding power and torque curves can be very broadly boosted if properly sized turbos are utilized. Many have already seen impressive dyno graphs shown by other turbo cars. "No strain all gain."

Sorry about the rant but I just had to air out some concerns. Progress is being made but it may be that too much time is being spent developing this into a real, easily installed, trouble free, precision, aesthetic system. Yes, he wants it to look awesome too. So far it runs, sounds awesome, looks incredible. Right now lines are being measured and fabricated to exacting lengths, final routing and mounting of accessory items are being done. This is a bit tedious and time consuming but adds a lot to fit and finish as well as reliability and predictability. After all a good show at the dyno and track are the goal. I will be out of town next week which is going to be tough, so I'll have to wait and report on findings after that. Thanks for lending your ear. Ask Rob for updates and let him know if you think it's worth his time. Later.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey John, Relax Tiger, There are many people anxiously awaiting the unveiling of Axis' Twin Turbo Kit for the Viper. Quality and precision take time!I have no doubt that this kit will kick a$$ when it is ready. You dont have to sell me about the power the turbos can make, check out my earlier post about why I believe turbos have more flexibility to offer to a variety of applications. From Rob I would expect no less than perfection and delivering exactly what he promises. Paolo

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be out of town next week which is going to be tough, so I'll have to wait and report on findings after that.

[/B][/QUOTE]

John, are you back in town yet????????????? COME ON! Give us the scoop! Paolo

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats makes a GENI so diferent that this cant bolt on just as it does onto a GENII? Sorry if bolt on makes it sound so simple, but you know what I mean.
smile.gif

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my, I can't get this grin off my face. No numbers yet but the seat my pants tells me the pucker factor has been raised to a new high. Tomorrow will be a little test and tune. So far the car drives very easy with the boost rolling on 5psi at about 2500 rpm. The math says good things are coming!
cool.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last report was that they are tailoring fuel pressures - on and off boost. Stock fuel pump assembly is a problem. Boost levels are currently very conservative at 3-4 psi, so they don't hole any pistons by going too lean for starters on their "learning engine." Turbo oil line flow restrictors and return check valves have been installed and fine-tuned. Water cooling has been provided for the turbo bearings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper