Uhaul Car Hauler/Trailer/Transport Information

Mr. Richards

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and Viper's in general.

I purchased a 2000 Viper GTS this past weekend and had a few issues with the transport. Hopefully, this thread may be of some use to new Viper owners. The professional transport services I found did not offer any firm pick-up dates and I lowered my risk by performing a cash transaction in person, so I decided to make the trip. I searched endlessly and could not procure an enclosed car hauler to transport the vehicle the 840 mile one-way trip. By searching on Google, I found that Uhaul offers 2 types of car haulers, 1 of which is wide enough for the Viper (around 79" between the wheel wells). The following pictures illustrate the steps we took to modify the trailer accordingly. For loading/unloading, assure that you have help from someone to guide you onto the trailer since the clearances are tight. The best way we found is to find a hill or driveway with a good slope and position the trailer so that the nose of the vehicle will not hit the ramps and the bottom of the vehicle will not hit the back of the trailer once you have began to load. Small pieces of wood on the ramps will help if you cannot locate a hill. The first two pictures depict the steps needed in order for the front of the vehicle to be secured in a safe manner and utilize the wheel straps provided with the trailer. In addition to the wheel straps to tie the front down, we used an additional two ratchet straps in front and two in the rear tied to the subframe. You must assure that the rear of the vehicle is tied down securely so that it does not shift left/right upon hitting large bumps during transport.

TRAILER AS PROVIDED BY UHAUL
You must be registered for see images attach

TRAILER AFTER MODIFICATION

FRONT CLEARANCE

SIDE CLEARANCES

DRIVER'S DOOR CLEARANCE

VEHICLE PROTECTION
It was raining when we wrapped this vehicle and the wrap survived the long trip and remained secured perfectly.

UNWRAPPED
This is immediately after unwrapping and unloading and has not been cleaned. Unwrapping was very easy as we simply cut the wrapping with a razor knife (slicing from the inside outwards to avoid any chance of scratching the paint).

V

Venomiss

Congratulations on the Viper and getting it home safely. Sounds like you saved a bundle on shipping.

We hope you will consider joining the Viper Club of America as a member!

OP
OP
M

Mr. Richards

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2 ? why not drive it?
Besides poor weather, the person I purchased the vehicle from kept his plates and we had to drive through a few states to make it home. A temporary plate was not available since it was the weekend so we had to make due. We drove 14 hours there, loaded, and drove straight back. DLM supercharger installation just completed (11 weeks). Picking car up tomorrow!