Very close to becoming a part of the Viper nation. Need forum input

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any of you daily driving this car?

I drive it very often, sometimes 5-6 days to work in a row. If forecast is stormy, I take the SUV, otherwise it's the most comfortable and easy to drive viper that I have owned. It's still a viper, very low, small cabin, poor visibility etc, but comfort is improved, a/c improved as well. Mine is the srt base. A backup camera would be nice, maybe standard on the GTS. My daily commute is just a few minutes on a 55 mph country road. Parking is plentiful at work, so no worries there. A commute through a city center might not be so much fun.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not allowed to use the term "manhood" anymore. Didn't you know the PC police do not think there is a difference? LOL.

I do not think that anyone is defining their "manhood" by their shifting skill set. I do think they may be defining their driving skill set and their ability to handle a machine without computer assistance. That is true for both female, male and hermaphrodite drivers.

I have great respect for those who have an advanced driving skill set which inlcudes, among other skills, the ability to optimally shift a high performance vehicle on a road course at the limits of the vehicles performance.

What is hilarious is how many define their manhood by the ability to shift gears.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, when referring to the finer cars, I don't think a Lincoln Town Car qualifies... Can't tell if you were joking or not, but that is not an example of a quality luxury driving car and should not be confused with the types of cars (high end Audi, BMW or Mercedes) that are fast, comfortable, etc.

Many of us have driven what you refer to as "the finer cars". The Lincoln Town Car, which was an incredible bargain when it was available, has a better highway ride than most, if not all of them and still does. ( Unfortunately, Ford stopped making it in 2011.) But, more importantly, many of us can't stand the sense environment provided by the "finer cars".

I have driven an SRT6 Crossfire on the street and for multiple laps at the Homestead road course. Sorry but there is no way it is built better than a 2014 Gen V Viper. Not a chance. Among other issues, the car had less than acceptable brakes for its mission niche.

The Gen V is not for everybody. It is for people who appreciate and require a particluar combination of sensory inputs. The Gen V is like the good friend that you would want next to you in a bar fight. You can trust it. You know it will not chicken out. It will get the job done.

OP
OP
E

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, and keeping it civil :).
SRT definitely listened to most of you when they designed the Gen V. Too bad that I could not fit into the profile. I hope the Viper lives on and there are enough of you ********* guys to keep it a business model. I am still a fan in a different way and will keep browsing the forum.
After driving the Jag, I must admit it is very tempting but not sure I am willing to let go a stealth 575rwhp/680tq sedan.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many of us have driven what you refer to as "the finer cars". The Lincoln Town Car, which was an incredible bargain when it was available, has a better highway ride than most, if not all of them and still does. ( Unfortunately, Ford stopped making it in 2011.) But, more importantly, many of us can't stand the sense environment provided by the "finer cars".

I have driven an SRT6 Crossfire on the street and for multiple laps at the Homestead road course. Sorry but there is no way it is built better than a 2014 Gen V Viper. Not a chance. Among other issues, the car had less than acceptable brakes for its mission niche.

The Gen V is not for everybody. It is for people who appreciate and require a particluar combination of sensory inputs. The Gen V is like the good friend that you would want next to you in a bar fight. You can trust it. You know it will not chicken out. It will get the job done.

If a person considers the Lincoln Town Car "a finer car", they haven't driven a finer car, and that was my point. I'm talking AMG, M's, 991, R8, F-Type, 12C, even GT-R etc. My reference to the Crossfire being better built doesn't refer to it's track abilities, nor do I consider it a finer car, and yes, the brakes are lacking on the track. I'm referring to the basics, no creaking, better visibility, body panel fit and finish, and reliability. After 110k miles, not one mechanical or electrical problem has popped up in that car, not one. The GEN-V already has problems with the doors not opening after it rains or popping open on their own, a problem that should not exist on a $100K+ car. The GEN-V is the bar fight buddy with the big guns, I agree. It's just you had to pay him a lot to be there, when for much less all you needed to buy was a 12 round pistol and scare them off or drop them dead. I get where the OP is coming from, it's a great car, but it's priced in the spectrum of cars of a different class of car. You can't expect to win over Porsche owners, like Ralph intended, with horrible forward visibility and Laguna quilted seats that look cheaper than the Nappa leather (at a $7k premium too). And Ralph kept saying guys up to 6'7" could fit. I'm 6'1" and I felt more cramped than in my GEN2 or the C7, I just don't see how tall people can drive this thing daily. The cabin is a beautiful cabin... for a $70k car. On the track, there is no doubt the TA is the champ. But the OP was looking for a great performing DD in the Viper's price range. Unfortunately, only a fully loaded C7, base 991, or F-Type will fit the bill. The Viper simply isn't a comfortable car to DD for most people. The GEN-V has a purpose, though not the purpose Ralph intended. You are using your TA for what Vipers were originally meant to be, not what the GEN-V GTS was intended to be, at least by Ralph's definition. It can't be compared to some of the cars it was built to compete with because it simply doesn't. The GEN-V is the most refined Viper to date, but it's not what SRT touted it to be. It's cool that we still have this car as an option in 2014, but that fact is, it's priced out of the reach of the limited clientele that want this car and the sales numbers show it.

It's like the GEN-V is stuck in the middle somewhere in the twilight zone. It's neither the blue-collar supercar, nor a gentleman's car. It's supposed to be this purpose built, street legal track monster, but they don't unlock the PCM. It's also supposed to have $7k luxury leather from Learjets and yachts, but they couldn't wrap the leather without it sagging. It's supposed to fit football players, but you can't see the stoplights out the front windshield. Those that have been spoiled by the best of both worlds that the P-cars and used F-cars provide are simply ignoring the GEN-V. Ever drove a 458? Now there is a car that was built by listening to the clientele requests. The roomiest and most comfortable two seater I have ever been in, though twice the price, but it does what it was built and marketed to do. I went to the meetings with Ralph and the engineers when the GEN-V was about to go into production. They made it sound like this car would be so comfortable and easy to drive that you could go cross-country with it or make it a DD. This came straight from the horse's mouth. So I expected those results when I went to go shopping for a GEN-V, but I just didn't see it (or feel it). Maybe Dodge will put the Viper back to it's roots and market it accordingly. But it seems the best way forward is to either throw in a DCT with 700HP and call it the sledgehammer, or kill the car off, otherwise it just doesn't fit in with the modern era of cars. It will never be the car SRT tried to market it as.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At current available prices for the SRT model, the Ferrari is almost three times the price and the Ferrari's maintainence costs are astronomical in comparison. Much of this is subjective. I find my TA's seat to be more comfortable than the Ferrari leather seat. But since both seat shells are made by the same manufacturer, it certainly isn't due to any quality difference. The ballistic nylon and padding are more comfortable.

My point about the Town Car was that it has an incredibly good ride; a roomy and very comfortable interior ( great rear seat leg room); is very quiet; an enormous trunk; a high safety rating; is mechanically bullet proof;and, was a screaming bargain. Is it fast? No. But you can set the CC and cruise along comfortably at speeds up to 90 - law permitting. Does it handle in a sporty manner? No. But for a highway trip of more than 500 miles the Town Car was/is hard to beat. There is also something to be said for a front split bench seat. Of course it does not have the snob appeal of the Mercedes 550, Audi 8, big jaguar, etc. There are people who do not need or require the snob appeal and who just want a luxury experience at a reasonable cost. My experience is that they frequently have what I call FU money and could care less that they have not met some third party's view of what a "real luxury car" is. If you have not driven a Lincoln Town Car on a road trip, I recommend it. You will be surprised.

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At current available prices for the SRT model, the Ferrari is almost three times the price and the Ferrari's maintainence costs are astronomical in comparison. Much of this is subjective. I find my TA's seat to be more comfortable than the Ferrari leather seat. But since both seat shells are made by the same manufacturer, it certainly isn't due to any quality difference. The ballistic nylon and padding are more comfortable.

My point about the Town Car was that it has an incredibly good ride; a roomy and very comfortable interior ( great rear seat leg room); is very quiet; an enormous trunk; a high safety rating; is mechanically bullet proof;and, was a screaming bargain. Is it fast? No. But you can set the CC and cruise along comfortably at speeds up to 90 - law permitting. Does it handle in a sporty manner? No. But for a highway trip of more than 500 miles the Town Car was/is hard to beat. There is also something to be said for a front split bench seat. Of course it does not have the snob appeal of the Mercedes 550, Audi 8, big jaguar, etc. There are people who do not need or require the snob appeal and who just want a luxury experience at a reasonable cost. My experience is that they frequently have what I call FU money and could care less that they have not met some third party's view of what a "real luxury car" is. If you have not driven a Lincoln Town Car on a road trip, I recommend it. You will be surprised.

I have driven a town car, 8 years ago. One of the most reliable cars in America. Also one of the numbest and inferior and lacking luxury cars ever made. Didn't even have navigation when everyone else did. It does not even come close to what a "finer car" is. It's not FU money when you buy a true luxury sports car. You simply get what you paid for. This is my point exactly, you haven't driven the best from Audi, BMW, or AMG, or you wouldn't even use Town Car in the same sentence. Many Viper owners haven't either, but nothing wrong with that.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are incorrect. I have driven each of the cars you referenced and a few others. I did not care for them. The seats were generally too hard and the ride too firm. They also had too much tech most of which I would never use. You keep mentioning luxury sports cars. Read my post more carefully. I am not comparing the Town Car to a luxury sports car.

You also do not seem to understand my reference to FU money. FU money is having enough money to buy something based on whether it does the intended job and not based on the expectation of others and the latest "in" car. The Lincoln Town Car did the job of being a great highway car. It never pretended to be anyhting else.

This will be my last post on this and I apologize to the OP for getting off topic.

I have driven a town car, 8 years ago. One of the most reliable cars in America. Also one of the numbest and inferior and lacking luxury cars ever made. Didn't even have navigation when everyone else did. It does not even come close to what a "finer car" is. It's not FU money when you buy a true luxury sports car. You simply get what you paid for. This is my point exactly, you haven't driven the best from Audi, BMW, or AMG, or you wouldn't even use Town Car in the same sentence. Many Viper owners haven't either, but nothing wrong with that.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually believe you are to the heart of the topic which was around the Viper being a DD. For those that have driven a finer car, the GenV simply would not be acceptable or tolerated as a DD. Forget luxury sports cars, but I thought we were referring to high performance luxury sedans that are great DD and have great performance. I will name a couple models as examples: Mercedes E63 AMG, BMW M5, Jag XFR, Audi S6, and even the Caddy CS-V if you must have the only American built option. Each of those are examples of "finer" cars that are great DD and have great performance. It is not about name or snob appeal, but when you own one for many years, you quickly determine their reputations are earned due to quality. Heck, thrown in a new Range Rover Supercharged or BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne on the SUV front and they are much better DD options. None are more performant than a Viper, but that was not the question of the thread.

So, to bring in a Lincoln Town car highlights the point because it is simply an out of date old style American cruiser that should never ever be compared to the "finer" cars. If an AMG's seats where too hard for you, then how can you say a GenV can be a daily driver?

You are incorrect. I have driven each of the cars you referenced and a few others. I did not care for them. The seats were generally too hard and the ride too firm. They also had too much tech most of which I would never use. You keep mentioning luxury sports cars. Read my post more carefully. I am not comparing the Town Car to a luxury sports car.

You also do not seem to understand my reference to FU money. FU money is having enough money to buy something based on whether it does the intended job and not based on the expectation of others and the latest "in" car. The Lincoln Town Car did the job of being a great highway car. It never pretended to be anyhting else.

This will be my last post on this and I apologize to the OP for getting off topic.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not say the Gen V could be an every day daily driver for everyone. Read my posts again. I said I get bored easily and sometimes drive the TA ( probably twice a week to the office ( 2.5 miles from my house) depending on the weather and of course during the weekend) with the Jeep being driven the most and the truck the least. For someone who does not have much of a commute; does not get bored driving the same car every day;and, isn't in the car that much otherwise during the day, a a Viper can be a daily driver depending on whether or not they desire that type of sensory input and how much stuff they need to carry around with them.