Vette Viper Shootout Winner..........................

robntguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's try this again ...

this time .. it'll be a different story.
http://www.mycar.net/mafb/events/event.cfm?id=12

May 4th - be there
biggrin.gif

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's can do well in the 1/4 mile, but that is not what there intended for: Any of you Fbody, Mustang, Typhoon, etc... owners wanna challange a Viper on a road course (Ferrari did, and none show up anymore)? I'm sure many Viperday participants will be happy to 'take you to school'. Don't forget, roads do have turns, ya know....

No flames, just an observation, ya know...

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Only Corvettes, Vipers, Lightnings and Camaro/Firebirds are permitted, all years/generations permitted. The cost for the event will be $20 per driver and $12 per spectator to be paid at the gate when you arrive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow that sound's like a great event! Only $20 to run? The FL shootout was something stupid like $125?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Your car runs in the 12.1-12.4 range, and drops to 11.00 with 150 horse juice, am I reading this correctly??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GenX you have to remember he was running ET streets (drag slicks) has an automatic tranny with high stall and solid rear axle. You can't compare that to a Viper as far as ET's go, that's a pure drag set up there
smile.gif

1fast02 when are you going back to Moroso? I've been there several times in the past month trying out the nitrous
embarass.gif
Getting better each time, but no 10's for me unless I get some new tires
frown.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This guy dave they call him demon with a blue z28 said he raced a blue gts.Was that you?If you did run him he is quit the ******** artest.I've ran him before.You don't know if he is spraying or not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did go to the Outlaw Drags (3-31) didn't like it much, so probably will not return. No I didn't run Dave at the Outlaws (I think). I think I know who he is and I didn't run any LS1 cars there, he has an LS1 w/nitrous right? I was the ONLY Viper there so if he said he ran a Viper then it's BS. I did run him on the street before (if it's the same guy I'm thinking of) At the Outlaw drags I raced a late 60's Mustang with a built 460 big block, slicks etc. twice (lost as expected) then raced a 96 LT1 Camaro 6 speed that was spraying, beat him easily. Very few street cars there most were pure drag cars on trailers.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99ssz28,

It takes a LOT more than sway bars and tires. Ever look at the frame and suspension on a viper? You would understand. No unibody here...

Frame Tubular space frame with separate cowl structure
Suspension
Front Independant with unequal length upper and lower control arms, coil-over-shock units.
Rear Independant with unequal length upper arms with separate toe link, coil-over-shock units.
Front Stabilizer Bar 1.06 in/27 mm (tubular)
Rear Stabilizer Bar 0.86 in/22 mm (tubular)
Shock Absorbers Double-acting hydraulic, low pressure, gas charged, rebound adjustable
Coil Springs 2.5" I.D. micro-grain alloy

P.S. - '92-'98 Viper haves 17' wheels. '99 - '02 are 18' wheels.

P.S. - A FBODY would probably do much worse with 19 - 20' tires/rims. That stuff is just for show, not go. Were paying all this money for something, trust me.... No comparision on the road course, no matter what you do. An example, Ford built the Cobra R using every single performance enhancing suspension peice they could find, in addition to near-racing tires. This car is basically a race car. It still couldn't touch a Viper around the track - with stock tires on the Viper. Like I said, were paying for something.......

Later

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe,

Although in your previous post you said with just wheels and bigger sway bars it could keep up or even beat a Viper. Also, what about the huge HP/Torque difference? Gonna need more $$$$ for major motor upgrades. I guess you could turn it into a race car with a full cage, a rock hard suspension, and slicks to handle like a Viper. Probably have to gut the hole thing as well. With enough $$$$, anything is possible. But still streetable, no way. I guess my point is this: Other than race ready vehicles, not many cars can stay with a Viper on the road course, with equal drivers, no matter how many streetable mods are done. This fact was proven the last 5 years at the 'One Lap of America', where a basically stock Viper GTS has took first place the past two years. Many of the cars (Corvettes, TA's, Mustangs, Porsche's) had CRAZY mods, and could not keep up. I was there to witness it, and it was what convinced me to purchase a Viper. Now once you get into race cars, its an entirely different story. But a car that can actually be driven daily on the street, the Viper is extremely difficult to beat....

"That's my opinion, and I'm stick'in with it".

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>.Hey did you
happen to get in a little race with a 92 green andgrey mustang
I guess it was a couple of days ago on us1.My brother-in-law
told me he got stomed by a blue gts with white strips.Just thought i would ask thought it was funny the way he told it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't me if it was US1. My last Mustang victim was on Okeechobee about 2 weeks ago
asthanos.gif