[Video] Secondary cats gutted on my 06 Corsa

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a couple video's a few weeks back with my 2006 coupe, with only a 2.5" Corsa Track Catback. In anticipation of a full header/HF cat exhaust next spring, I didn't want to go crazy on exhaust work now, and waste good money. I decided to gut the secondary cats on my OEM converters, to give it a little more sound, and to help with the footbox heat. I'm very pleased with the sound, and how the tone has changed. Mid to upper RPMs have really improved, and the sound down hear idle/cruising is just a tad higher...perfect! The popping has picked up as well, so to 98% of the members, that's a plus...I personally hate it:D So, except for my own labor, a nice free mod:2tu:

I purposely took the first set of video's in the exact same spots as I knew I would be doing this comparison today. The driveby sounds pretty similiar in these video's, but it's definitely a different sound in person.

Don't forget to watch in HD!

http://youtu.be/c43sgyRJHSw
http://youtu.be/Fw_IMReBho8

Here are the original video's I took a few weeks ago:

Revving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-rbInlqd4

Drive-By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJm7I2e8eQ&feature=related

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it! Smart... especially with what you are planning on doing in the spring, I think was a great move that didn't cost. At least this way you can get your "fix" to hold you over until Spring :)

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still sounds great! What method did you end up using to gut them?

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice vid Ryan. I still think your lowered Viper with that color combo is what makes your car awesome!

Can't wait to see it with the new wheels.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corsa and the guted cat give you a great sound, I had that set up before doing the headers, and to be honest I wish I stayed with that set up. The header where expencive and not much of a change to justified the cost.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still sounds great! What method did you end up using to gut them?

I just used an air hammer to break the material into small enough pieces to grab out of there with a set of long reach pliers. It was more difficult and tedious than I had read about though...

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice vid Ryan. I still think your lowered Viper with that color combo is what makes your car awesome!

Can't wait to see it with the new wheels.

Thanks Brian...I'm exicted too! Tumbler will be lookin pretty awesome as well :)

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corsa and the guted cat give you a great sound, I had that set up before doing the headers, and to be honest I wish I stayed with that set up. The header where expencive and not much of a change to justified the cost.

Very, very interesting...can you tell me what header/cat/catback combo you're running Pedro?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reasonably competent exhaust shop can remove the clean up cat (the one farthest down stream) and replace with a straight pipe. My shop made a jig to hold the pipes at the correct angle and then welded the new pipe in. Doug Levin told me to do this rather than gutting the cat. Worked will on my SC 06 with Corsa exhaust.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reasonably competent exhaust shop can remove the clean up cat (the one farthest down stream) and replace with a straight pipe. My shop made a jig to hold the pipes at the correct angle and then welded the new pipe in. Doug Levin told me to do this rather than gutting the cat. Worked will on my SC 06 with Corsa exhaust.

I agree 100% if this was a long term mod...refer to my first post:

"In anticipation of a full header/HF cat exhaust next spring, I didn't want to go crazy on exhaust work now, and waste good money."

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very, very interesting...can you tell me what header/cat/catback combo you're running Pedro?

Im using the full bellanger set up with HF cats, then I replace the mufflers with the Corsas I had. At first the Drone was to much for me, with the corsas that got much better but not gone 100%. And for the dyno # only 7hp extra with the new set up. as for the sound is some what better but not much at all.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this would increase the exhast smell pretty strongly, correct? I would love to improve the exhast note, but don't want to increase the smell.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Corsa track system removed the secondary (downstream) cats. Is that incorrect? I did not install the Corsa system on my '05 myself, but I can't for the life of me find a second/downstream cat on the car. Is it inside the sill area? What I see is header collector, cat converter (above the circular bottom pan openings), then the exhaust disappears into the side sill.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this would increase the exhast smell pretty strongly, correct? I would love to improve the exhast note, but don't want to increase the smell.

I had no problems with the smell, the one cat was plenty to do the job, and a big sound difference.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Corsa track system removed the secondary (downstream) cats. Is that incorrect? I did not install the Corsa system on my '05 myself, but I can't for the life of me find a second/downstream cat on the car. Is it inside the sill area? What I see is header collector, cat converter (above the circular bottom pan openings), then the exhaust disappears into the side sill.

Here is a picture of the OEM cat...maybe it's possible someone already removed the rear cat, or it already has high flow cats installed?

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have gutted cats before and it's a PITA. Never reccomend it to anyone and i own a shop!

I just ordered a set of American racing headers and magnaflow catback. I loved the Corsa on my Vette but after hearing them on the viper with headers it was not deep enough for me.

I will post up some vids for comparison, thanks for the vids absolutehawk I actually watched your vids about 20 times before making a decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets