[Video] SRT-10 vs Stock C6 Z06 vs Blown Stang vs C5 Z06

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Viper got its ass handed to it. I am glad I have a Paxton so I can kick some Z06 ass!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That Viper got smoked! For some reason SRT's vary a lot in stock hp. I have seen 415-445rwhp out of stock cars. I am guessing that one was one of the lower HP ones.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy could not drive. He was short shifting big time. Seems like a display to show the vettes supremacy (which Chevy427 would never do :) ). It even showed the Viper getting beat by a 400 hp Mustang. Right.

OP
OP
M

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Viper got smoked! For some reason SRT's vary a lot in stock hp. I have seen 415-445rwhp out of stock cars. I am guessing that one was one of the lower HP ones.

Kinda like the ZR1's of the 90's, one would make 340RWHP and the next would make 360RWHP.

Way to go w/ the Quality control GM (though the engines were built by Mercruiser)!! LOL

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now thats embarassing...on another note I should have one in my garage by this summer (selling the c5) I still won't like it more then my Viper!!

I really don't think the Viper could lose by that much especailly after watching the race with the 04 z06 vs the viper and then watching the 04 z06 up against the 06 z06...

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there are 2 equal drivers the race would be very close, it could go either way. But to lose to that Mustang, proves the video is ********!!!

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know most of these cars and their owners. The Viper driver was clueless. This was even admitted by the C6 Z06 driver.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi are you saying this was in Michigan? If so have that Z06 come on down to Rochester and I will show him a thing or two.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall some 03 SRT's had a recall account the wrong valves were installed. The recall replaced the valves with "back-cut" valves which flowed better and gained about @15-@20 hp? Might be the case here.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi are you saying this was in Michigan? If so have that Z06 come on down to Rochester and I will show him a thing or two.

No, this was in GA.

I sure hope a SC'd SRT-10 would show a stock C6 Z06 a thing or two..;)

take off that SC and get back to being stock and you might have your hands full..:)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Looks like fun but too many variables to draw any meaningful conclusions.

In real world experience with my 04 SRT-10 with 3.55 gears only, i.e., no other mods, I crushed a 450 rwhp heads / cam / tuned Z-06 (not 06) several times from a 5 mph roll and then again from 55. Above 80 it was a joke. Not even close in any race.

Unfortunately, the cars (Viper & C6 Z06) are very similar except for the gearing and a small weight advantage for the Z-06. Put 3.45 or 3.55 gears in a stock 06 Viper (same gears as Z-06) and then run the stock C-6 Z06. With equal drivers, the Viper would win every time IMHO.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In real world experience with my 04 SRT-10 with 3.55 gears only, i.e., no other mods, I crushed a 450 rwhp heads / cam / tuned Z-06 (not 06) several times from a 5 mph roll and then again from 55. Above 80 it was a joke. Not even close in any race.

Unfortunately, the cars (Viper & C6 Z06) are very similar except for the gearing and a small weight advantage for the Z-06. Put 3.45 or 3.55 gears in a stock 06 Viper (same gears as Z-06) and then run the stock C-6 Z06. With equal drivers, the Viper would win every time IMHO.

What vendor sells 3.45's or 3.55's for the SRT-10?? Where can I get more info on this? I was thinking about high flow cats and a cai, but I think gears would be a better performance choice.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think i am going to go with a gear swap since I have heard that this car REALLY wakes up with a 3.55 gear swap.

http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1313&cat=&page=1

Does anyone know if this set (link above) comes with the normal rebuild internals? Or does it only come with the ring and pinion gear? Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears wake up any viper except from a dead stop. From a stop your car will do nothing but spin, and loose to a stock geared viper almost every time.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears wake up any viper except from a dead stop. From a stop your car will do nothing but spin, and loose to a stock geared viper almost every time.

Would you say that with a 3.55 gear, an SRT-10 would pulls harder to 150 mph in contrast to the stock gears from, lets say a 40 punch?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my experience, I was able to launch much easier with 3.73 in my '98 GTS. With the 3.07's, you have to walk a fine line. Not enough throttle/RPMS'd, and you bog a bit. Too much throttle/RPM's (and not enough clutch modulation) and you spin the tires. With the 3.73's, I just ease the clutch out from barely off-idle (1,000 RPMs) and floored it. Takes off like a rocket without any bog and very little wheel spin - if any. Easily repeatable time after time. The key is not having to 'rev' the car up before launch to prevent bogging.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would you say that with a 3.55 gear, an SRT-10 would pulls harder to 150 mph in contrast to the stock gears from, lets say a 40 punch?

No doubt.

From any sort of roll the car with the gears will win.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No doubt.

From any sort of roll the car with the gears will win.

So at what mph would the 3.55's become a disadvantage? 140+?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime you have to shift and the 3.07 is still in the previous gear. In other words at some speeds one will have the advantage over the other. For the 1/4 mile it is easy. You want the gear that maxes out just at the trap. For other conditions the optimum gear depends on what speed range is required. Gears are not magic. they do not produce power. Do not compare gear to gear compare speed to speed and you will see.

For example with the 3:73 you need to shift into 2nd around 50. That means for the next 10 mph the 3.07 has a big advantage. So if the roll on speed was 50 the 3,73 would probably lose. Now if the roll on speed was 60 it would go the other way.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi,

The vipers factory gearing is all out of wack, there really is no advantage of having longer gearing at speed. The only true advantage of having long gears is from a stop, or if you car has enough power to take advantage of the longer gearing(far from stock).

Meaning with factory gearing I believe theoretical top speed is something like 270mph or maybe even higher. To me that is a waste, take advantage of all 6 speeds and make your gearing match with your potential top speed which is around 190mph.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here are some real street race experiences with my bone stock srtc 06 and my buddies 06 z06

he already installed cooks headers before we ever raced which gave him 30 more rwhp on the dyno. we have raced from a dead stop and from a 40 mph roll and a 20 mph roll with this set up. he pulls me pretty hard in every gear (1-3) by the time we top out 3rd he is a good 3-4 cars infront of me.

now he just added a cam. its not tuned yet but we ran the other night just to see how much harder he would pull. he still beat me in every gear although he had a lot more wheel spin through first and second. (he does need better tires) he is dynoing and tuning the car thursday. he is hoping for 550 rwhp. he was at 475 on the dyno before the cam.

when ever we run its a matter of seconds before i am looking at his rear end. there is no question that with both drivers being equal and both cars being stock the z06 still wins, but not by much. now by just adding the headers he can take me everytime, now with the cam and the header. i dont have a prayer. I love my viper and i am not a big vette fan, but you have to give respect to the z06 (atleast my buddies anyway) at WOT with me 4 cars or so behind it. it sounds like a hyabusa on juice.

now of course when i get DLM to put in my s/c i'm sure things will change. but for now i am very impressed with the new 06 z06.

again ,we never got a chance to run stock against stock. so i'm sure it would be a lot closer, and if he wasnt such a great driver and just a regular D bag behind the wheel a stock z06 versus a stock viper with a good driver it would be a danm close run.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here are some real street race experiences with my bone stock srtc 06 and my buddies 06 z06

he already installed cooks headers before we ever raced which gave him 30 more rwhp on the dyno. we have raced from a dead stop and from a 40 mph roll and a 20 mph roll with this set up. he pulls me pretty hard in every gear (1-3) by the time we top out 3rd he is a good 3-4 cars infront of me.

now he just added a cam. its not tuned yet but we ran the other night just to see how much harder he would pull. he still beat me in every gear although he had a lot more wheel spin through first and second. (he does need better tires) he is dynoing and tuning the car thursday. he is hoping for 550 rwhp. he was at 475 on the dyno before the cam.

when ever we run its a matter of seconds before i am looking at his rear end. there is no question that with both drivers being equal and both cars being stock the z06 still wins, but not by much. now by just adding the headers he can take me everytime, now with the cam and the header. i dont have a prayer. I love my viper and i am not a big vette fan, but you have to give respect to the z06 (atleast my buddies anyway) at WOT with me 4 cars or so behind it. it sounds like a hyabusa on juice.

now of course when i get DLM to put in my s/c i'm sure things will change. but for now i am very impressed with the new 06 z06.

again ,we never got a chance to run stock against stock. so i'm sure it would be a lot closer, and if he wasnt such a great driver and just a regular D bag behind the wheel a stock z06 versus a stock viper with a good driver it would be a danm close run.

Sounds like the Cold War arms race. He adds mods you add mods. These are exciting times for American sports cars. You both be safe and video tape some of these spirited runs. I always like watching car videos.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dont take this personaly, because it is the case to most owners of fast cars but you just cant drive.

If your friend can make up so much space on your car in so little time then you are doing something wrong. When you do these races do you both start out in the same gear? When you do the 40mph race what gear do you start in? Do you powershift? Does he? etc....

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

he already installed cooks headers before we ever raced which gave him 30 more rwhp on the dyno ... now he just added a cam. its not tuned yet but we ran the other night just to see how much harder he would pull. he still beat me in every gear although he had a lot more wheel spin through first and second. (he does need better tires) he is dynoing and tuning the car thursday. he is hoping for 550 rwhp. he was at 475 on the dyno before the cam.

That means your friend's Z06 was at 445 rwhp before the headers ... that would be about 517Hp for a stock Z06 ... so either your friend also has a K&N (or similar ... likely) or the Vette's stock HP numbers are understated in the books (also possible)

I would like to see some stock Z06 dyno numbers to see if this car is giving the Viper such a run due to weight, gears or understated HP ???

Either way, the Viper's a convertable and the Vette's not ... Viper wins hands-down in a ***** collection race.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Viper got its ass handed to it. I am glad I have a Paxton so I can kick some Z06 ass!
Better be glad the ZO6 your running does not have a paxton too. Lets compare stock for stock on performance issues. Where did that obnoxious music come from with the video? I expected to see 24" spinner rims and blue glow lights emmiting from the bottom of the cars.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 3:73's. The problem I have with them is that I can't hold a gear long enough to pull the lengths on my opponents. It pulls hard but short.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Fadi,

Call Unitrax for gears. Add a Quaife while you're swapping. With stock power or just above and 3.55's, the car is a blast to drive.

Add some Kumho's or Nitto drag radials for the street and you will hook up pretty well up to about 550 - 600 rwhp. Above that power level, 3.07s are the ticket with sticky tires for the street.

Dan

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
russ m. i dont take it personally about the driving because as i have stated in a few other posts, i am learning the car. my friend in the z06 is a far better driver than i am. not that i am that bad.(much better than your average ****) i will be attending the vca 3 day racing program in vegas next week and i look forward to it helping me out. i still have plenty to learn about what gear is best at what speed and trying to ease in to the throttle. with out spinning

once my friend pulls me by three or 4 cars and i top out 3rd i normally back down. no need to try and catch him because i cant and we are street racing so safety is a priority

viperman, yes my friend dynoed his z06 before he installed and after he installed the headers. he was putting down 435-440 on the dyno stock. i cant remember the exact figures he has all the dyno sheets so its easily confirmed. after the headers it was close to 475rwhp corected #'s. GM is definelty sand bagging #'s when they post 505 hp versus the vipers 510 hp. there was a magazine artical a few months ago that put the viper srtc the z06 and the ford gt and posted all reer wheel dyno results. and both the vette and the ford gt were under rated by the factory. i dont have the mag infront of me or i would post the #'s the mag put out.

russ m. my friend is a great driver and i know driving counts for a lot. as i have seen him beet guys with 900rwhp against his old z06 that had about 650rwhp because the guy with the 900 hp couldnt drive for [******] and spun the tires thru every gear. i totally agree with your statement that most wankers with fast cars cant drive for [******]. but like i said , i am not a vette fan but the new z06 does have some balls with the right guy behind the wheel. its stock rwhp has been dyno tested to be faster than the vipers and its a little lighter of a car.

but i still love my viper. going to see DLM tomorrow to get the show on the road.