VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I'm to blame...I actually raised (AGAIN) the Vipair question the other day. A few pointed me towards this thread (geez its loooong), and I haven't quite made up my mind.:dunno:

But from reading certain comments, does the Vipair actually replace the front section of the air box or go over it. Can't quite tell? Also, assume the air flow is additive to the NACA duct in the hood.

I promise, after these answers, I will not bring it up again!!!!:omg:

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok you got me, I will order one of these, and do dyno pulls before and after. I must warn you am not a believer and if results are as I expect the smack talk will fly on this forum.

I want a black one with no logo if possible, and will call you next week to place the order.

Now please fill me in as to exactly how you guys ran the test, I will replicate your conditions. How many fans? Low speed or high speed? Blowing in the facia?

let me know how it turns out, if it works, I might get one.

Just realized that post was from about 7 years ago, I really need to get to bed...

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipair did nothing....the principle behind the Vipair is allowing cooler air into the intake when the Viper is moving. On a dyno, it's stationary so cooler air isn't being forced into Vipair and into the airbox. The Viper has to be moving....

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipair did nothing....the principle behind the Vipair is allowing cooler air into the intake when the Viper is moving. On a dyno, it's stationary so cooler air isn't being forced into Vipair and into the airbox. The Viper has to be moving....

Actually, in a stationary psition it is preventing the hot underhood air from entering the airbox by blocking off thearea of the airbox hat is normally oen to under hood on the sides of the NACA duct.

Once the car is moving the high pressure air in front of the rad is directed into the airbox, this is very crucial once the car hits 70 - 80 MPH as at that point the NACA duct starts performing its' aerodynamic function and starts sucking air out of the airbox

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, in a stationary psition it is preventing the hot underhood air from entering the airbox by blocking off thearea of the airbox hat is normally oen to under hood on the sides of the NACA duct.

True...but I would think that with the heat being generated by the radiator that, in a stationary position, it's probably capturing more of the hot radiant air from in front of the radiator? Regardless, I'm 99% confident the Vipair works optimally when the Viper is moving. :2tu: No complaints from me.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clearly, its performance results are stronger in RED Vipers, as the synergistic correlation coefficient between the air temperature entering the Vipair and its simultaneous effect created by thermal energy as the air passes under the red Vipair logo. The result is a critical change in the state of thermal equilibrium. When this occurs, there is no exchange of heat, unless the preheated air flows over the color yellow, in which case the change in relative warmth of the air flow is effected by the distance coefficient of the space allocated by the two sections of the bumper opening, at which time there may or may not be a transfer of internal energy totally dependent on the shade and manufacturer of the particular yellow hue in question.:dunno:

In other words, red is faster!:lmao:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bone stock 1997 GTS that dynoed 423 rwhp and 469 lbs torque.. Something is terribly wrong with those numbers on that 99 Viper...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, let's see, those who go faster over bumps tend to wear things out quicker, the faster the speed the greater the wear coefficient on paint, higher speeds will inevitably promote increased wear on tires and brakes (when used).

Sooo, yes, I agree that the value of reds might dimish quicker than non-red, but that IS because it is faster and all the above apply....as the non-reds slowly move along preserving their value!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, serious question; I have my front plate mounted using the Parts Rack rubber mount. I don.t take it off generally. So, since the Vipair draws air from the center of the facia opening and the plate blocks the lower part of the opening, wouldn't that limit the benefit of the Vipair by both cuuting down unaltered air flow?

Thanks!:2tu:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, serious question; I have my front plate mounted using the Parts Rack rubber mount. I don.t take it off generally. So, since the Vipair draws air from the center of the facia opening and the plate blocks the lower part of the opening, wouldn't that limit the benefit of the Vipair by both cuuting down unaltered air flow?

Thanks!:2tu:

The Vipair allows the high pressure air in front of your rad to enter your airbox, depending on where the air that is being blocked by your plate is going (if plate angled up, probably over your car, if angled down probably into the fascia opening) , either way it has to go somewhere and some of the air that is entering the fascia opening is invariably going to make it into your intake with a vipair, without a vipair the amount is reduced to zero

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, plate is mounted flat and actually centered, mounting on the horizontal piece of the opening allowing some air over and under the plate.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, plate is mounted flat and actually centered, mounting on the horizontal piece of the opening allowing some air over and under the plate.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good grief.....

I'm going to the track on Nov 20th. Someone loan me the damn Vipair and I will make 3 passes as I sit now and then 3 more passes after installing the Vipair. If I pick up more MPH after installing the Vipair, we acknowledge it works. If not, then we keep poking fun at the Vipair. :D

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! Thanks for offering!

GTS-R-001 should offer to lend you one to help put this issue to bed.:eater:

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I purchased the Vip-AIR device I was naturally skeptical since I couldn't feel the difference.
The way we chose to test it was actually simple, we added 2 large fans in front of the car while on the dyno and closed the hood completely, ran it with the unit and stock. 3 times each way. It gained 3-5 hp with the unit probably because it let more of the cool air into the intake from the fans.
It would likely be better test if the car was really moving and as such had airflow over, through and underneath the car but this was good enough for me to keep it.

Hope that helps-

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was an interesting test, only 3-5hp gain. Be interesting to understand how the air flow from the fans equates to actual driving speed. If the fans created only enough air to equal a speed of 25-30mph, then the hp gain makes sense. However, if it equates more to 65-70mph, then that is certainly below to claimed 16rwhp gain. For this to be a good test, would need the use of an air tunnel where air flow/speed is controlled. Then a good test/control situation could be established - without air as control, with for test...and at differing speeds to measure the change in hp increase. Of course, this assumes that there is an air tunnel with a dyno.:nono:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, anyone who wants a Vipair, especially for testing contact me by PM and I will be happy to help out.

Jerry Malicoat (spelling may be a bit off) back when the Vipers were running in Lemans devised an intake just like the Vipair for the GTSR race cars, he found that at speed ( 60 MPH +) that the NACA duct sucked air out of the airbox, the NACA duct on the Gen 2's is a cosmetic duct, NACA's by design **** air, they do not add air.,

A good test would be:
3 runs with nothing,
3 runs with the Vipair added
3 runs with Vipair and a piece of clear plastic (mylar) taped over the front of the Naca to prevent air from entering or exiting

The fans at a dyno shop while as you can see form the above post helped add power with the Vipair, in no way simulate the amount of air or pressure even at 25-30 mph.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, didn't I read somewhere that Gen 1's don't need a Vipair b/c their intake system is different than a Gen 2? Or did I dream that?

HEy Chad,

You are correct, the GEn 1's do not have a naca duct and the front of the airbox is sealed to the same inlet in the top of the fascia that the Vipair™ uses. so all Gen 1's and the 96 and 97 RT/10's are not in need of a Vipair™.

Dodge then reverted back to the same Gen 1 intake philosophy on the Gen 3's and sealed the box to the front fascia air openings, the hood scoop on the Gen 3 is pretty much blocked by the intake snorkel/sound chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets