Viper 998 Recall Photos

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don Ruckman was good enough to provide me with a series of photos that he took while the 998 recall was done on his RT/10 by Cam McCracken. The photos are a step-by-step of the recall work, and show some good detail of the entire process. I've posted them as a gallery on the Washington VCA Web site at: http://www.wavca.org/Galleries/Gallery8.html.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought it was necessary to remove the back end body panels, rear tub, gas tank, etc. I suppose that's if you need to weld?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don/Andy, so, are there any maintenance items (fuel filter comes to mind) that one should have the tech do "while he is there"?

Tomer

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd ask him to keep an eye out for anything that needs doing - if you have a competent Viper Tech then he should do that anyway.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,
I just looked at all off your pics [dial- up{long}].
Without seeing your car up close, from the pics your Tech has not finshed Welding!! Before you string me up, hear me out. The "New Cross Member" that is added on to your car, it's design is to box-in/reinforce [w/new gussets] the Steering Rack Mountings. So that means that every <u> EDGE</u> of the "New Cross Member" MUST be Welded! From the pics [I know it's just a photo] your Tech has laid a beed parallel to the frame on the underside/in-board, that's good, and a small beed at corners of rack mountings inboard NOT ENOUGH! There is no way you can weld all of the edges on the new cross member, especially with your tires on! And on the right side/top of the frame to weld that area you MUST remove the lower Radiator Hose [did he do this?] to get to the top of the Frame to lay a good beed [***********]! [This is not in the instructions for the Recall!]
When I weld in the "New Cross Member" in, there is at least 7" of weld per side!! [go and look at your car]
First off look at the pic of him welding! Do you see the amount of ****[hot sparks] flying! ONE STRAY SPARK and I would owe you a NEW TIRE!!!! [Hello MicFly]
The rear end looks good [no welding!], it's just drill and rivet, drill & rivet, drill & rivet, most "B" Techs can do this.
I'm not getting on anybodys case, but this Recall Must be done right!
When DC issued this Recall they essentially washed thier hands of you[liability]. It now falls on the hands of the Dealer! If it fails two years down the road, who are you going to come after?
Andy, re-look and re-think your Recall!
Feel free to call me, and we can talk about the Recall!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I supplied a guinea pig Viper for my Tech's first recall. It's my '98 project car that I had the front end off of for some upper frame horn repairs. I really didn't want him making my '96 his "learning" car. If you go this far, your tech will tip you!

This is an angle you probably won't ever see of the repair.

You must be registered for see images

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck did mine and I picked it up this week. Other than the fact that I have to look left while driving straight, and the clanking I hear while making hard rights, I think the job was done right.

Ha......Just kidding. Chuck has invested lots of time and money and thought into preparing for, and doing this recall. I'd listen to him. He said it was obvious that my car had gone through some stress although there were no cracks. But I'm glad the job is done and I have 100% confidence that it was done right. I'll be changing the oil tonight.....so I can't wait to see it. Wonder if he left me a note.

AC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave