Viper Days @ College Station

Reaction score
I was in College Station at the Viper Days Races. I spun a bearing (we think) in the second lap (hadn’t even gotten up to speed).
You must be registered for see images
It sounded like I had thrown a rod, but Archer’s guys said they thought I spun a bearing. I was just starting to turn up the juice in the carrousels after warning up the tires when the oil pressure went to 5 lbs. and the engine lost power, by the time I got to pit lane I hear it start to knock, so I shut it down. I regained my composure
and called my engine sponsor (Roy @ TNT). (He is IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with!). He has ~ 20 Vipers in his stalls already and about 7 “King Snake” packages in various stages of completion. His waiting list is long, for a very good reason. But, his wife heard my pleas on the home answering machine and called him, (he was out of town). I could have bought a SPEEDVISION race prepared sealed engine (5 hrs on dyno only, never in a car) for $14k and had it in, in about 2 days, ready for next weekend’s finals. But Sheryl called back and said Roy wanted me to bring the car to his house and he’d get on it.
I have racing baffles in my oil pan, so I don’t know why I lost oil pressure. This stroker has 30K miles on it. I may have lost the oil pump.

Anyway, I spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with “Evil” Joe Ellis, Bob Woodhouse, Rob Foster, Paul Mumford, (get I get his spelling right?), Skip Barber, Paul Fisher, Mike, Tom, Bruce, Janet, Sue, Jim, Enrique, Courtney, John, Bobby & John Archer, Keith, et al. What a great bunch of guys and gals! We ahd a big field of very fine lady drivers (fun, smart, pretty and GREAT drivers!) We had a BLAST! And seeing all the cars, strategizing on rules for next year, looking at all the race cars for sale!, banquets, prizes, laughter, comradely, etc., etc….I want to make every Viper Days event next year…I even asked if I could start in the wheel to wheel competition next year! I had wanted to wait a couple of years until I got my times in line with theirs, so I wouldn’t be in the way. But, after talking with the guys that run in it, they convinced me, the only way to start is to jump in…so here I go!

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry Bob!(and Sorry Skip Thomas! Write only memory you know!) And I left you off Bob! As well as a bunch of people...

So how was instructing at a Viper Days event? What does it take to be considered for such an honor? I know you and Michael got to instruct. Were there other TWS veterans?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper