Viper Days in Texas

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just finished my first weekend at a Viper Days event (First track experience in my Viper too) last weekend at the Texas World Speedway. For anyone interested or considering going, read on – I highly recommend it.
A friend asked me: How was it? I am not sure I could put things fully into words but "incredible" best describes it. I probably had one of the best experiences in my life in terms of thrill factor – WOW.
The whole event was very well run and VERY professional. Before going, I had a local mechanic give me new oil (Mobile 1 15W-50) and brake fluid (Motul 600) and go thru the car, which was a great idea as boiling your brakes with old stock fluid CAN HAPPEN and did to a friend I met at the event. Sat morning, I showed up for tech inspection and in 2 minutes the tech guy reaches into the engine, fiddles a bit with his fingers and pulls out a 4" bolt - tells me that the bolt is what secures the water pump assembly and that at about lap 2 or 3 it would have spun out completely and blown my engine up! Evidently this was a common problem for a part of the late 2004, early 2005 runs - some air pressure issue on that part of the assembly line! He saved me the weekend!!! I thanked him profusely and he gave me a confident shrug saying it was his job but he and I both know that he was very skilled and I was lucky to have him check me out. I limped over to Archer Racing to get things fixed (They travel to all the events and help anyone that needs it in addition to servicing many of the Comp Coupes that run the event). They pulled off the air filter assembly and lock tighted / secured it at 250 psi (the whole assembly had started to come out too) – wow, was I lucky!
Out to the track for a drive around with the other new drivers in a few vans (about 12 of us) - way over my head - as the driver was explaining how to run the track (where to turn in and when to brake and throttle), but cool anyway - then into classroom for basics on seating position (This was a good learning for me and it did make a difference), maintenance/inspection and driving basics, then out to the entry part of the track, my instructor hops in with me, we say hello and then we hook up via transponders and then go out onto the track - my instructor knows the track really well but doesn't drive Vipers, but that's ok. Great instruction on drive lines - braking, throttle control, car position, etc.... Having him in the car like this is invaluable in terms of cranking me up the learning curve - left, right, too early here, too late there, slower into this area, hammer it there, BRAKE later and harder, easy here, relax there, look at your flags, you need to relax, you need to relax (he said that a lot) etc.... Having instant feedback was really terrific. He did a lot of talking at first, then not too much later on (I was learning). We always looked at the track diagram afterwards and talked about key points, which was great. This is a seriously complex, dynamic sport and I found myself getting overwhelmed a bit - but he could see that happening and we ended the discussion so I could process it all. I did a track experience with my 02 Vette a year ago and got some ‘instruction’ after each 30 minute run by instructors posted around the track – NO COMPARISON TO THIS EXPERIENCE, in the car is way better. The instructors are NOT having you go easy either, they are helping you get more speed – It is a job I would not want to do with a new driver – you gotta give them a lot of credit for courage!!!!
I did an extra session with an advanced group and had another instructor drive my (mine was busy running his own car). He drove my car for about 4 laps and that was great to experience too - I saw how he took the lines and how he managed speed and braking - of course some of his more advanced techniques were lost on me! It was really good though. Scary fast he was and he told me he was being careful since it wasn’t his car - geez!
While this is all about learning, you can't help getting focused on your lap times vs the rest of your group (or at least I couldn't). They try to put the faster drivers up front to minimize passing concerns. I was surprised to find myself toward the front after the first run. I was there after the second run too! I admit this affected me a bit as I wanted to say there (made stronger by the fact that a guy with an 06 supercharged Viper good naturedly said he was going to 'catch me' the next time out). I realized I needed to get out of this mode of thinking so we took it easy on the 3rd run focusing on consistency, which of course is where speed starts from. We got a late start for run#3 because there was a significant accident during the comp coupe race where a Michelin series driver lost it on a turn and hit the infield wall sideways - he was taken away by ambulance. I think he ended up being ok but the car was mashed. The Archer team folded it up and stuffed it into one of his vans - who knows what they will do with it next! Scary! Midway into session#3, it started to "Texas rain" (massive torrential downpour), so we headed in and I ended with a #2 time after the Supercharger (good job man) - no problem!!! Session 4 didn't happen due to the delays (probably good because I was exhausted anyway). Of course we had several classroom sessions throughput the day which were helpful too.
Good dinner/ banquet that night. Skip is a nice host and very considerate to everyone, especially the newbies like me.
Next day (sun) and more classrooms and 3 more drive sessions (I didn't stay for the 4th one as I had a long drive back and an early plane ride the next day). I felt much better, much more relaxed, but even more thrilled as my lap times tightened up and got faster. I ended up being quite happy with my lap times next to the other more experienced driver groups times – again, I was learning - thanks to my instructor. By my last run, my instructor was just holding on and answering questions only. We did a few drills where we braked hard enough to engage ABS (I've felt that before myself) and a black/red flag test which I would have completely failed had it not been for my instructor telling me to stop. With so much to think about and be looking for, it wasn't until the last session that I started zeroing in on the flag stations throughout my run - this sport requires 1000% focus. Session 3 was again cut short by a "Texas Rain" but I was able to nail my best time of the weekend before that happened (I was nearly out of gas anyway and had to come in a few minutes early too - whoops).
A few of my teammates had some off the track events (one just a spin out) and 1 more serious where he came off the big high bank at about 130mph and hit the brakes and he had NOTHING! Off they went into the grass (straight) and ended up ok on a part of the closed section of the track - car and driver (and instructor) all ok but rightfully shaken a bit - ok, maybe more than just a bit shaken - they had comments like seeing the golden light and having a story to tell, but it unnerved me for sure. He had an 06 with about 11k miles on it - had changed brake fluid with stock stuff 6 mths ago - prognosis is that they boiled – WOW – CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID BEFORE YOU GO. They replaced it after the incident with Motul and found some air in the lines - scary but thank God they were ok. Could that happen to me? I hit over 140 at that point many times and cannot imagine not having brakes!!!
I left Sunday around 3:30 for home and got 30 minutes down the road and realized I failed to pay John Archer for the engine work (I had asked him to tack weld my Corsas which were hanging low on 1 side too). A quick cell phone call to them with my credit card # remedied that but I felt a little bad - he was completely cool about it though. All of that group is very professional! Fixing the bolt and welding my exhaust cost $170, which I thought was very reasonable given the convenience of him being there and their tremendous Viper expertise.
I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who has a Viper and REQUIRE it, or something like it, for anyone who wants to track their car. It was fun, informative and really helped me think about safety. Most everyone is super friendly as are the Michelin series racers (at least most of them that is.
This car is amazing. Great hp, unbelievable brakes and it can hold a corner like I couldn't have imagined. We were so hard into the corners that I am still amazed at how well the Viper held my lines - but it is all about control and balance - being off a little and I can easily see how you could spin out or worse. You really have to learn a track and build up speed after you get your brake points sorted out and turn approaches understood and memorized.
Now I have to think about what's next. There is no doubt this is massively fun sport but also it is expensive. I would really like to go somewhere else again - and I am signed up for our club event at MSR when that happens later this year. Obviously there are a thousand things you can spend money on – non run flat tires will probably be next (But the run flats did real well over the weekend) - this car has more than enough hp for me for quite a while - I need to think more about safety (maybe 6 point harness) and necessary mechanical upgrades to ensure longevity of my car.
BIG THUMBS UP VIPER DAYS TEAM!!! Thanks for a great time!!!

Attachments

• m_84999535.jpg
    m_84999535.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Cool Pic1.JPG
    Cool Pic1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 42

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was there with Tim and have to agree. I had an amazing time!! I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't had the experience. Outstanding instruction from a professional organization! Thanks Skip, Courtney and all others involved!

Thanks Tim for posting the pic with me leading!!!:lmao:

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
attachment.php

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good report. My first Viper Days was 4 years ago this month. Definitely changed the way I drive, and made me a track addict.

Good thing you paid John. Otherwise, you would have upset their Beer Fund for the next event!

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, your report is so accurate and allows me to relive the weekend! I agree, Viper Days is a great driving experience, and in my opinion, one will never know the capabilities of their Viper until spending time with one of Viper Day's instructors for a couple of days.

As far as nipping you out of the #1 spot, that only happened ONCE, then you regained that pole postition. The one session where I passed you and then you passed me was simply an outstanding adrenalin rush. Of course, we motioned for the other to pass and were not racing, but nevertheless, it was great adventure.

Sterling, have you decided on the TT or SC?

Jim

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sterling, have you decided on the TT or SC?

Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for the ride in your SC car!
You must be registered for see images
What a rush!! I'm leaning heavily towards the SC. I would like to get a ride in a TT. I am going to Viper Days in IA. Maybe someone will have a TT that I could get a ride in. I have been talking to Doug Levin and I am going to visit his shop in a couple of weeks. I would like to have the install done this winter. I'll keep you posted.

Sterling

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,
Your write up is spot on for every one that is thinking about attending a Viper Days event. They are the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I started three years ago with the first SRT10 at a Viper Days event. To say that I was HOOKED is an understatement. As you can see from my avatar, I was HOOKED HOOK LINE and SINKER. After the three years I decided I needed more safety around me so I bought a Comp Coupe the difference is remarkable. I spent six events in the challange series getting used to the car, then at Texas I joined the "race" group.

All I can say is those who haven't been to a Viper Days you are missing one of the best learing experiences of your life. I gaurentee that if you come to a Viper Days you WILL be a better and far safer driver than before Viper Days. I would almost gaurentee that you will come back again.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCLSSRT10 - "the difference is remarkable" - now that sure makes me curious. I'm tempted by a comp coupe, but really didn't think there would be that much difference between a well spec'ed out SRT10 and a comp coupe, as far as handling. What differences do you most notice between the two?

JB

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey 007 (SCLSSRT10)!!! I was parked a few cars down from you in the garage and was amazed by your car. Skip said that you were one of the nicer "pro" drivers and that we could ask you for a ride - but you seemed busy, AND I think you did a few rides anyway, and I didnt want to ask you since you were prepping for the race events. I will try to do another event and maybe ask for a ride if you are up for it!

Thanks, Tim

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write-up Tim! :2tu: :2tu:

You captured the spirit and intent of Viper Days extremely well.

I went to Viper Days in March at Buttonwillow Raceway in California, (a very technical and quite ideal teaching track) where I learned so much in a very brief time, made some great new friends, including some Comp Coupe owners/drivers (yes, SCLSSRT10 is a truly great guy and so are many others in this lofty league).

As a matter of fact, my avatar is a picture taken during the event.

The unlucky Comp Coupe driver who had an accident is Gary Lashinsky, a former national president of VCA; here is a thread about Gary: http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603665

The fellow who did your pre-race inspection was probably Tom Sessions, indeed very knowledgeable and a great guy. Having Archer Racing on site during each Viper Day event adds so much convenience and peace of mind in case of a mechanical malfunction and their prices are unbelievably competitive.

I also agree with SCLSSRT10 that anyone attending Viper Days will become a much better and safer driver, and although expensive (I did the Comp Coupe oil pan, oil pump and swing arm pick-up, short throw shifter, StopTech braided stainless steel brake hoses, changed all fluids, mild track alignment, Teamtech 5 point harness for driver and passenger, which my instructor really appreciated, also bought driving suit, nomex underwear, helmet, driving shoes and gloves) as Tim mentioned, I believe that this is probably the smartest and most significant performance "upgrade" one can make.

Upgrade the driver first, then the Viper! A Viper driven with skill and confidence is a joy to behold. On the other hand, one can have all the upgrades and power in the world, but if the driver is not up to the task of mastering his beast, there is a recipe for disaster. We read about it all too often in this forum.

Vypr Phil :)

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One last thing - the Viper Days Squad recommended I mail in the diploma to my insurance company for a discount. My carrier is State Farm and they said they would apply a discount - amounts to about $60/yr, but hey, its better than nothing! Another advantage to this experience!!!

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here...I'm insured through USAA and they gave me a little less the 10%. Only required a phone call. They didn't even ask for proof.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last thing - the Viper Days Squad recommended I mail in the diploma to my insurance company for a discount. My carrier is State Farm and they said they would apply a discount - amounts to about $60/yr, but hey, its better than nothing! Another advantage to this experience!!!

Hey Tim,

Could you provide (PM) the contact information for your insurance agent/broker?

I did the same thing (also with State Farm) and was told that no discount would apply in my case.

Glad it worked for you, but I think I want to revisit this issue with my agent.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump again,

VIR this coming weekend, wish I was going!

Saw the Ferrari Challege race on Speedvision today @ VIR, what a track!

Lots of smooth run off for "sightseeing!"

And then Putnam next month...

I will try to make it to Kansas for the finals.

-J

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vypr Phil,

My State Farm agent is Earl Manns in Plano and my contact is Faye: 972-208-3705

She said they would apply the discount to a specific car, which I suggested would be ... THE VIPER of course. Good luck, Tim

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, ope tracking is awesome to do, read about, talk about and watch. Great write-up.

Thought I'd give some input here as I have had my brakes fail while on track a well, when you have a car as heavy as the Viper (I have a porsche turbo, even heavier) you HAVE to change fluid if you are going to track hard. Fluid will boil on you and fast, I was doin 70 went into a ditch and got airborn. Thank god the ditch kept me from hitting the tire wall, I got some damage to the undercarriage and some plastic bits but nothing structural, and I really thought I had busted everything on the bottom of the car as hard as I hit the ground. so the moral of the story is the BRAKE FLUID IS A MUST, some of the best track insurance you can buy.

Oh and I had ATF Blue which is and upgrade but still not enough on a hot day and a hard braking track. Change your fluid guys!!!

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vypr Phil,

My State Farm agent is Earl Manns in Plano and my contact is Faye: 972-208-3705

She said they would apply the discount to a specific car, which I suggested would be ... THE VIPER of course. Good luck, Tim

Thanks Tim! :2tu:

I'll have my agent talk to your agent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21