Viper Engine build, lots of questions, help needed please

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello
OK need some help please with some tech questions

on a 2001 Viper engine block.

This is a friends car, i'm not an engine builder, so please be gentle with me on the answers even if the questions sound stupid ;)

History, The engine was rebuilt in 2004, it had a custom set of pistons made for the car. The con rods were changed as were many other parts.

I have found the company that made the pistons, (so no problem there). But the block requires either, A - New Cylinder liners or B- The Cylinder liners to be bored out? And new oversize pistons to be made?

Can the cylinder liners on a Viper engine be bored out oversize?

I have found a Cylinder liner company called 'Darton' Im trying to find out what the cost of replacement Cylinder liners would be but with me being this side of the pond my emails seem to be going unanswered :(

Would it be cheaper just to get a new block with liners already fitted?

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's very common to bore/hone the cylinder liner... usually done with an overbore of .030 inch.

Pistons are often on the shelf in .030 overbore. Check around...it's probably be easiest on pocketbook and time.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally you can get any size for about the same price through. Ross, Diamond etc can make the pistons to your specs. Someone will correct me if I am worng, but I believe the max safe bore on stock liners is .060. I will normally go ..010 or .020 just to save more metal for the next rebuild.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally you can get any size for about the same price through. Ross, Diamond etc can make the pistons to your specs. Someone will correct me if I am worng, but I believe the max safe bore on stock liners is .060. I will normally go ..010 or .020 just to save more metal for the next rebuild.

How many times do you plan to rebuild? ;)

Reaction score
It's smart to to only go .010" over (by honing).

The stock sleeves are thin enough already. Anything gained in cubic inches when going as big as possible is lost on ring seal because the cylinders flex more.

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When boring always take the least amount of material as possible. Jumping sizes gains you nothing and only serves to weaken your remaining material. Most OEM oversized pistons will compensate for the increased displacement by changing their piston design.