Viper goes down.. Taken from the F-Body forum

OP
OP
X

X

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom and vipers,

Whats the amount spend have to do with anything... Most times, we dont outright own our vehicles.. the Bank does...

What are you trying to play my house is bigger than your house??

Its attitudes like that, that make it so much more enjoyable to see you in the rear view..

X

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by X:
Its attitudes like that, that make it so much more enjoyable to see you in the rear view..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it any better.......

- Matt

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You win some and you lose some. Take it like a man without excuses. I appreciate all fast cars, does nt matter if they cost more or less then my viper. Don't race if you cant handle losing.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't get is why would a Viper driver be in 3rd gear going 40mph. You can wind it up to 60 in 1st and this guys in 3rd at 40. No wonder he lost, he didn't have a clue on how to drive the car. Should have been no higher than 2nd gear at 40.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way...stock motored with lets say a supercharger, throttle bodies, headers or nitros constitutes stock? Are you guys high. Stock is as delivered from the factory. Enough said!

Coment about a "Win is a Win" regardless of situation, is also of base. If I race you on a ten speed and your bird pukes it's tranny at the line than I can say proclaim to the world that Schwinn's smoke Firebirds? No! On that day a Schwinn beat a Bird. Same with this race, the bird may have beat a (poorly driven) Viper on this day at this track but that's it. Not a result to be regularly seen so enjoy it.

Now lets get this Viper owner some training. Joe you out there? Get this guy to Englishtown for some schooling. He's embarassing the rest of us.

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperrick:
By the way...stock motored with lets say a supercharger, throttle bodies, headers or nitros constitutes stock? Are you guys high. Stock is as delivered from the factory. Enough said!

Coment about a "Win is a Win" regardless of situation, is also of base. If I race you on a ten speed and your bird pukes it's tranny at the line than I can say proclaim to the world that Schwinn's smoke Firebirds? No! On that day a Schwinn beat a Bird. Same with this race, the bird may have beat a (poorly driven) Viper on this day at this track but that's it. Not a result to be regularly seen so enjoy it.

Now lets get this Viper owner some training. Joe you out there? Get this guy to Englishtown for some schooling. He's embarassing the rest of us.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may well be high, but that is entirely besides the point here
wink.gif

My statement of "stock motored" means exactly that. The motor is exactly the way it came off the assbmbly line, never even had a valve cover off. Beyond that, anything is up in the air, including power adders
smile.gif
Thats why I call my car "stock motored" and not "stock".
wink.gif

And in the situation you mentioned, that does not mean Schwinns beat Firebirds. It means that THAT Schwinn beat THAT Firebird. Just like the fact that the F-body here won does not mean that all f-bodies will beat all vipers. It means that THIS TIME, the F-body won.
smile.gif

- Matt

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'll admit to being beat twice because I was in the wrong gear, and incedentally they were by WS6s both times.

The first time I was on the freeway an a white WS6 was on my butt, but it was medium-heavy traffic. And the fast lane was clogged with slower traffic, but a right lane opened up.
I was just cruising along in 5th gear, and figured that I could make a good enough pace around the clog without having to drop a gear. But the Firebird was MUCH more eager than me and blew by in the slow lane and I couldn't catch him.

I know that I should have been in 3rd, but I was on an unfamiliar freeway, in less than optimal traffic. When the traffic got better, I blew past him just to stretch the car's legs, but he took the next exit and we exchanced waves.

The other one was a black WS6 and I had just put in my roller rockers and didn't want to run past 4K RPM. I took off from the intersection normally and eco-shifted to second, and then I noticed that he had punched it and he pulled a quick car length, then a stupid driver slowly crossed our lanes to pull into a commercial driveway, so I let off of the throttle a moment, and then I couldn't reel him in before the next light where he turned off.

Were the WS6s faster than my car? Could be, they were decidedly quick, and could have easily had N20 or other mods, or it could have just been my driving. But I have little to prove, and don't mind giving up a race or two when the conditions are non-optimal.

I sometimes get a feeling of invulnerability in the Viper because it can so easily shake off slower cars, but you never know what mods someone in an F-Body or Vette has, so I've learned not to take them lightly.

As far as being in the right gear goes, I drive my Viper daily and most of the time it's just puttering around at normal/legal speeds. And I'm not really seeking out any races, so I can easily see how the Viper guy was in the wrong gear because he underestimated the F-Body car the first time (being in the wrong gear twice is pretty lame though). At least he got with the program for the third go around.

I do think that Corvettes are generally faster with the same horsepower because they are around 100lbs lighter than the Viper(300lbs less for the Z06). They have 3.45 gears, as opposed to our 3.07 gears, and with the extra torque that the Viper has, it's tougher to keep from spinning the stock tires. Plus a lot of the F-body and Vette drivers have ET Streets. I wouldn't say the differential is 70HP. 40HP is more like it.

F-Bodys are about the same weight as a Viper, and the WS6s often dyno with more power than the Corvette, and bolt-on mods are relatively cheap. Stock-for-stock it's still about 100HP shy of the Viper, but if you are caught off-guard then the momentum is tough to catch. The new Cobras will probably be able to surprise a few Vipers as well, with some bolt-on modded ones putting out over 400RWHP.

I like being faster than 99% of the cars out there with mild mods on my car, but there is always someone faster out there, and I'm not going to dismiss the performance potential of Vettes or pony cars because of stock HP ratings, or their purchase price.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job James
cool.gif
I managed a 11.22@126 w/1.66 60' with the same setup as when we raced except I used ET streets & skinnies. I have my new heads on now so I'm looking for some 10's
supergrin.gif
Let me know if your going to rent the track I'll see if I can go
BURNOUT.gif

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, good run James! I meant to ask you... How'd the wall look down there towards the end. Looking at the video, I'd say you got a rather close inspection of it.
wink.gif
Glad you pulled out of that and missed the **** thing. And thank god Mike didn't try that pass.
eek.gif

- Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper