Viper in latest issue of Car and Driver . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI --

In the latest issue of car and driver there is an article on a new performance benchmark they will be using called the "lightning lap." They test a series of cars including the Viper coupe, Ford Gt and Corvette Z06 at VIR. In a nutshell, while the Ford GT and Z06 were fractionally faster around the track, C & D praised the Viper for being the most composed, neutral handling and confidence inspiring of the three.

/Rich

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a first. I never like reading the articles in any of these magazines when they test the Viper, as they never give it the credit it deserves.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Z06's are so great, why did I see them getting in everyone's way on the Road Atlanta GT1 race? They were slow and clogging up the track. The Vipers did much better.

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the second article I've read that said the Viper was better to drive than the Z06 and FGT. The other was in Road and Track. Definitely sways my decision away from the Z06 and towards the Viper.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering the SRT is the older car... it shows the others just gunned for the Viper in top speed and acceleration without much though in regards to the car as a racer overall.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets not get caried away now...They said it was easier to drive and better for the track but it was still slower than the harder to drive Z06. Takes more skill to drive the Z06...hmmmm...Remember when it was the flipside of this same argument with the Gen II vs the C5 Z06? Viper was faster fractionally on tracks but the Z06 was the better track car according to mags...No one cared that the Z06 was the more composed track car because it was right there with the Viper or a little slower.......There was a time when you guys took the fact that the Viper was harder to drive as a badge of honor and a sign of Viperness...I guess you guys dont feel that way anymore since the tables have turned..Just a dose of perspective. Id still rather have a Viper over a Z06 but I still like the Z06 for what it is..

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to drive a Vette! What has the world come too! :D

Can't be too hard though, every body and their mom has one! :D

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Lets not get caried away now...They said it was easier to drive and better for the track but it was still slower than the harder to drive Z06. Takes more skill to drive the Z06...hmmmm...Remember when it was the flipside of this same argument with the Gen II vs the C5 Z06? Viper was faster fractionally on tracks but the Z06 was the better track car according to mags...No one cared that the Z06 was the more composed track car because it was right there with the Viper or a little slower.......There was a time when you guys took the fact that the Viper was harder to drive as a badge of honor and a sign of Viperness...I guess you guys dont feel that way anymore since the tables have turned..Just a dose of perspective. Id still rather have a Viper over a Z06 but I still like the Z06 for what it is..

You took the words out of my mouth...

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the article and interpreted the comments to suggest you can give the viper even more power and hustle it faster still around the track whereas the ZO6 is a handful as is.

In other words there is some "excess handling capacity" engineered into the viper and the vette is tapped out in this respect jmo.