Viper owners must be rich ?

Wyoming_54

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it people think just because you own a Viper you must be rich? I have only had my Viper for about a month now. Most of the people that know me say "good for you", but others act like you had to rob a bank to own it. Most of these people have high dollar toys of their own that they work hard to have. I could have bought a new mustang for almost the same money, and no one would have though anything. I know they "look" like a million bucks. I have had a few ask what I paid, and I just say you can find nice ones under 40 grand if you look. Most are shocked how affordable they are. Sorry for ranting but I'm sure every one gets this all the time I'm just new to the game.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this a problem? Nothing about a Viper is exactly "low key". Prices have come down quite a bit, but those unfamiliar with the car would't know that. In any event, no matter what you paid for it, the car still looks like a million bucks on the road.

Congrats and get used to the attention. You are driving a Viper after all. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the problem is alot of people think vipers cost alot more than they really do. if they ask, people are shocked to find out i dont pay $10,000/month in insurance too.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is all a part of owning a car that is percieved by 90% of the puplic as "exotic". I live in an area with very few Vipers around, and like you, those that know me understand, but the rest still think "oh you must be rich".

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang with me here on this....If you think about all the "rational" or "expected" ways to spend money, not to mention on an automobile, and after all the needs vs. wants analysis one chooses a Viper, that infers to the general public a certain level of crazy-fun-overthetop lifestyle that only the rich and wealth can really (traditionally) afford to live. Obviously a perceived lifestyle embellished by the media and advertising day in and day out. If the general public understood that many of us live a very conservative and financially balanced and controlled lifestyle and that we CHOOSE to own a Viper for what it is (all things considered), they would be astonished. I think most Snake owners own a Viper for the insane thing that it is (unknown to most in the public) and do not own one for the same reasons others own foreign exotics. At least that is my case. With a wife, two young kids, pets, mortgage, and all the uncertainty in the world, the last thing a "reasonable" man in my situation would own is a Viper...but I do. I am not rich as defined by Obama, but the car definatley makes people think I am. Its really sort of a funny reflection of society. Someone doing their PHD thesis should look into this!! I was worried right after I got it that my house would be burglerized since folks would think I had a lot of bling laying around. So far so good...knock on wood....

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...Why I REALLY own a Viper....
Trahimur omnes studio laudis. "We are all attracted by the desire for praise."
Tempus amoris cubiculum non est..." The time for love is not in the bedroom..."
Post proelia praemia. "After the battles come the rewards."
Furnulum pani nolo. "I don't want a toaster."
Fac ut gaudeam. "Make my day."
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem! "Oh! More! Go on! Yes! Ooh! Ummm!"
Ne conjugare nobiscum "Don't f___ with us"
Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris. "Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job."
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae. "There is no one great ability without a mixture of madness"
Commune hoc ignorantiae vitium est: quae nescias, nequicquam esse profiteri. "A common thing with the ignorant, to despise what they do not understand."

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy 2 vipers and see what they say, I always get asked why I have 2 vipers - they just don't get it. Once you have one get a 2nd (ACR) if you can afford it. :dunno:

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got excited when i saw this thread bc i get this all the time from people at work or others that dont know me. perfect example.. I went to new jersey today to pick up an exhaust for my dads vette and my dad said to the guy we where buying it from... joking.. (so do you have any viper exhausts laying aroung my son is looking for one) instantly the guys like no way you have a viper thats insane. I said sure do and showed him a picture from my cell phone. Right away he says wow it must be "nice to be rich". Every where i go i get that and i gets a little annoying. Only if peopel knew my daily driver was a 99 vw jetta and that i work hard for everything i have. And that im far from rich. One guy a few months ago asked he could take a picture of me next to the car for his grandson. haha the rockstar treatment never gets old. God Bless America and Dodge Vipers!!!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is nice to get compliments... and if people think I am rich, who am I to tell them they are wrong...lol.

Just make sure you don't take the Viper when you are out car shopping or looking at a big purchase (ie home). No way are you gonna be able to negotiate the best price....

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 3 Vipers in the garage (and some nice daily drivers in the driveway), my kids get the business at school "you are a rich kid, your dad has Vipers". My kids just laugh it off and since they don't care about cars (jocks--I failed in this respect) .

Where it can hurt you is dealing with contractors, plumbers etc. My wife is under strict orders not to let them in through the garage. I have found I get unusually larger estimates and or bills if they see the cars.

I buy Vipers because I like them and have had them 15 years. I could afford more expensive cars, but have no desire to buy foreign (no Fiat jokes) I traded my one non US car, an M5 for a CTS-V.

I have no desire for a Ferrari or Lambo. I like the fact that Viper owners come from varied backgrounds and from many income levels--real cars for real people.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some kid and his Mom was looking at my car last Sunday when I was shopping at Wal-Mart. I was pushing the cart up towards them, the Mom looked at me and said, "We can only dream right?"

I smiled and unlocked it, they both acted embarrassed after the lights flashed :)

I am pretty young, so I'm sure I didn't fit the stereotype in her mind.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time I start to feel rich, I go and buy another toy. What people don't realize is that when you spend all your money on toys, you're really toy-poor. Between sinking money into cars, a couple of mortgages, house repairs, pets, and girlfriend I sure don't feel rich. But if you count up all the crap that someone will inherit one day and sell, I suppose they might be considered rich.

Drummer hit the nail on the head with respect to contractors (and nosey neighbors)... Most people are 180 degrees out of phase with cash-flow realities. When you sink a lot of money into property, there's not much in the way of liquid assets to be thrown around. I've had consecutive bids come in for work where one guy saw a Viper in the driveway and one didn't - and the prices were 50% different. When I need to hire someone to do some work around my place, I leave the old Bronco in the driveway next to my Jeep that I haven't washed in three years and I walk around drinking a can of warm Keystone...

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still on E5 military pay. Each command when the word has gotten out that I drive not only a Viper, but a nice Viper, eyebrows rose.
Questions are asked that why does someone of my pay grade drive a vehicle nicer then ANY other vehicle owned by over 2000 people.
Answer: Because I have good taste and budget well!

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tell them they are the ones with money to burn as they go buy some new "cookie cutter car" and drive it off the lot and lose 20%.

Two years later half the price they paid is gone and a few more years the car is worthless.

I buy this gorgeous RT/10 with 26,000 miles on it for $28K and years from now I fully expect it will be worth more (probably much more) than I paid for it!

Who then has money to burn?

Two R/Ts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'am a Blue collar worker, saved 10 years to buy my Viper with cash. Pay about 600 dollars a year for insurance. If you say thats being rich. lol

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is far more impressive to have wealth than it is to have the perception of being wealthy - Millionaire Next Door

Almost anyone can show themselves as wealthy when in fact they are not.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to repeat a good answer::2tu:

With 2 Vipers in the garage (and some nice daily drivers in the driveway), my kids get the business at school "you are a rich kid, your dad has Vipers". My kids just laugh it off and since they don't care about cars (jocks--I failed in this respect).

Where it can hurt you is dealing with contractors, plumbers etc. My wife is under strict orders not to let them in through the garage. I have found I get unusually larger estimates and or bills if they see the cars.

I buy Vipers because I like them and have had them 10 years. I could afford more expensive cars, but have no desire to buy European/Japanese.

I have no desire for a Ferrari or Lambo. I like the fact that Viper owners come from varied backgrounds and from many income levels--real cars for real people. RAW POWER. **** BODY.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
people ask me all the time what i do for a living because im so young with a viper. lol i thinks its great