C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All...

Well...quite an update...don't you think
smile.gif
?
For all you guys that supported this issue over the last year...my gratitude goes out to you. To those who did not think it was worth our time to continue this effort on the board...well, I am just glad that if you are an affected party that you will have your day in court and know that this board works.
Buckle up and drive safe.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation
CStegall

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MiamiJeff:
Class action lawsuit vs DCX on the seat belt issue certified by court today, 7/5/02, http://www.unsafebelts.com/news.shtml

Per the site, affected Vipers are: 1995-1997, and 2002 but double check in case I missed a year!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,
I don't think you missed any years, however, the site listing is not correct. My '98 GTS ( build date 1/98 ) also has the Gen III defective belts.
DC, please make sure you get all affected vehicles on the recall.
Clark,
Thanks for your successful efforts for the benefit of all of us!
smile.gif

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DDog...

You will get the opportunity for an inspection of your seatbelt system. DC is beginning to get focused on this issue and solutions are being worked on.

Once again...thanks for your efforts,

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All...

Weekend safety bump...

More on the way for ALL Viper owners possibly affected by the GenIII seat belt system
smile.gif
....stay tuned.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

So, So far I see no progress. The problem still exists and there is no sign of a recall. DC doesn't care. What do we do now? We're still screwed, right?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Lol - Clark I would have swore this thread had disappeared totally! I hope this issue is still making it's way around.

NB - For those who are unaware, CStegall was exceptionally vocal about this issue and has really raised some eyebrows in dealing with it. Thanks again Clark :) ..

Kindest Regards,
Clint

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

BTW - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUMP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ for posterity ;) ...

Clint

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"You guys might want to research this subject and speak with your local dealer. No recalls as of this date but I am a firm believer that personal/family safety should not need a recall to force us to act. Especially in a car as powerful as ours."

Calling a dealer just won't get it done. Anyone notice? you take a no brainer to a dealer and more often than not, no solution. A lot of complaints in these forums are solved by the generous help of dealers and others applying presure in the right places I would assume. What most of us expect; is, when we go to a dealer, any dealer, we should be taken seriously, reality bites, but there it is. I have read dozens of posts describing potentially dangerous situations which really do exist with or cars. They are dealt with on a one to one basis and forgotten. why should the same battle be fought countless times? When DC or a dealer solve a problem, we should all be given the same consideration as the fortuate few, who were dealt with properly. instead of this "I've never heard of that" attitude we have to start with.
It surprised me to find of all the loose roofs stories I have heard from other owners: The NHTSA has only "one" yes "one" documented case of an ejecting roof. Not one complaint, regarding power steering caps coming off. These are the people who order the auto manufacturers to recall vehicles. It is rare that manufacturers do recalls on their own without a little persuasion. You can rant all day in these forums and to your dealer; that will never get it done, because; the feds, unless they own Vipers are not reading this.

Contact the NHTSA: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Or in Canada The DOT: www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety

Sound off you will be heard. In Canada they will take information and sometimes investigate, however, nothing gets done before a number of complains are heard. I assume in the States they operate in a similar fashion. It won't do to wait for someone else to get the job done. Contact them or this thread will go into next year before any action. How many injuries will result during that year.

<font color="green"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repost for those who are new to this issue:

PrimeTime(Thursday-3-7-02) had an interesting story that concerns Viper owners that have 1995-1996-1997 and 2002 cars. The story concerned a man that was hit broadside in his Chrysler minivan and was ejected from the vehicle during a rollover. The man died and the police reported that he was NOT buckled into the seat with the stock belt. The victims family sued Chrysler,etc. and the court ruled in favor of the plaintiff. The jury found that the man WAS buckled into the seat and that during the rollover it was apparent that he had pushed against the beltbutton on the seatbelt latch and the belt had released...ejecting him from the car. If you will look at the abcnews.com website you will see a list of Dodge-Chrysler cars that have this Gen3 belt system. The above listed Vipers fall in this group. Chrysler has disavowed the problems with these belts but many,many studies have shown that they are VERY prone to accidental release.
You guys might want to research this subject and speak with your local dealer. No recalls as of this date but I am a firm believer that personal/family safety should not need a recall to force us to act. Especially in a car as powerful as ours.

During a catastrophic wreck, as in a rollover, the Gen3 belt is subject to an easy release from the occupants body,items moving within the car,seat shift,etc.

I think the Gen III issue is now extemely relevant - has DC responded?

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Clint...

Thanks for the thought but it was and is the Viper nation that needs to be thanked for making sure that this effort is brought to conclusion. It is STILL in process and will continue so. Folks like Clint make it worthwhile to continue efforts to make the Viper safe.

CStegall

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Also as a refresher:

Canadian spec Viper seat belts are available and do solve the problem. I've been using them since this issue came up.

This thread provides the details....

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

I don't believe the problem with the belts originates from how long they are. Rather from the protruding release button as the pics show it is too easy to accidentally release the belt. I don't think this problem is a DC only defect. I noticed today; my wife drives a 98 Ford (no flames I know i know) the release on her belts is worse than the DC style and it sits directly below your right elbow I have no problem releasing the belt by simply lowering my arm.

Check it out

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Kevin,

If your referring to my thread noted above, the shorter length of the Canadian belts is just an observation, not the solution. The solution is that fact that the Canadian spec belts do not release until the button is well below the shoulder of the buckle therefore making accidental release much less likely.

If you're not referring to my thread, sorry and feel free to ignore this one.

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Ron,

My post wasn't meant as a contradiction. Sorry if you took it that way. It was more of a clarifying statement, So that no misconceptions could be formed from what you were saying. I also wanted to make the point that anyone reading the post should check all makes of vehicles. As you said and I agree if the belt is released before the release button goes below the sholder of the retainer The belt can be considered dangerous.

I am looking forward to the results of the meeting mentioned scheduled for today. I am sure an competent managment employee who sees this situation will place Public safety above bottom line bolstering.
A few years back every bottle of Tylenol was pulled from every shelf in North America because a manager knew who the company was. It resulted in renewed confidence in the company and it's products. any competent executive who looks at this issue should be able to see crystal clear the right choice here.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been browsing since Dec, and finally decided to register yesterday. :)

According to the original post, I would assume that '01 Vipers are left out of the seat belt problem.

My dad's '01 appears to have the new seatbelts, and 3 out of 3 times I could release it with my elbow.

The release only has to be flush with the rest of the case, it doesnt have to do down inside.

Might want to add '01 vipers to that list, unless I am mistaken.