Viper vs Porshe 911 TT in quarter

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already posted today about my experience on saturday with racing a guy in his 911 Turbo. For some reason I cant find it any longer which is ridiculous if it was taken off because I said that the Porshe is also fast. I realized in my race with the Porshe that off the line they are very quick thanks to their all wheel drive. But I also found that the Viper is still quicker in the quarter as long as you get a good launch. but I was surprised at how quick the 911 turbo is because it still has 50hp and 50ft/Ibs less than the Viper. Mt car was dynoed at 422 rwhp the first time out. Since then I have put on new exhaust front to back so it is no creampuff. can someone answer me as to why the Porsche has done 11.90s in magazines with 50HP less than the viper.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Toronto_ACR:
can someone answer me as to why the Porsche has done 11.90s in magazines with 50HP less than the viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Traction. I remember seeing that number, but if you look at the Porsches trap speed, it was about 4 mph less then the Vipers.
The Viper also beat it to 100mph and the 1-mile acceleration tests.
The 911 has better Aerodynamics and puts the power to the ground a lot smoother. Plus having the weight in the back over the rear tires helps the car to launch faster with less wheel spin "i heard they hop instead of spinning the tires" plus its all wheel drive.

If anyone owns a 911 turbo, they might be able to comment on this better.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either c@d or r/t did an article last month on the new porsche twin turbo
and the new Z06, and the porsche got mopped in every catagory. The car barely got into the 12's in the 1/4 mile, so I don't think 11's is a possibility.The only reason they hang with the viper off the line is traction.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
The car barely got into the 12's in the 1/4 mile, so I don't think 11's is a possibility.The only reason they hang with the viper off the line is traction.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the only test drive i have even seen on the 911TT that ran that high, every other test done, the car ran an easy low 12/ high 11 time. Including a few European magazines.
The old "rear wheel drive" '94 3.6 turbo used to run 60 in 4.4s, this new TT in the Article ran a 4.5s
confused.gif

Even the Z06 ran a bit slow, only managing a 12.7 at 114, and this is the new '02 Z06.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TORONTO ACR rumor has it you drive the car like a girlie boy. Why didn't you leave a voice mail? Spank the car the way you do your women, it will surprise the hell out of you. TALK TO YOU LATTER.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few comments on the 996TT:

1. The tt weighs in at 1540kgs (3400 pounds) empty.

2. The US car is higher, and softer, than the European car thanks to Porsche Cars NA thinking that Americans need a softer car. Euro suspension is about 1" lower and a bit stiffer.

3. The Euro 996TT was the fastest stock production car tested in a lap of the Nurenburgring in Germany (7:56), Viper (8:10). I don't think they have tested a Z06 yet but I have no doubt that the Euro 996TT will take it.

4. The TT shares very little in common with the stock 996. Buying a stock 996 and trying to upgrade it will cost you more than buying a GT3, GT2 or a TT in the first place. The GT3, GT2 and TT use the base engine out of the GT1 race car (Le Mans winner in 98) in addition to a stronger transmission. The regular 996 uses a street engine that cannot handle that much hp.

Porsche made a decision to focus on building an “all around” car, not just a rocket. If you spend some seat time in a new TT you’ll see that they did a great job. It is quiet, fast, has great brakes, great AC, stereo etc. I have had 10 Porsches and it is by far the best yet.

Before you guys jump on me, I loved my GTS and will get another, however, it is a totally different approach to building a car.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks as though the Porshe board is giving some good credit to the Viper. It is well respected by everyone. Can someone tell me why everyone here constantly talks about comparing the Viper to the Corvette. I know that the Vette is a good car and many Viper owners own Corvettes. But please lets get reasonable. The Viper is a world class sports car and should be in the same league as Porshe 911's and Ferraris. GM is not trying to make an exclusive Corvette and that is why it cannot be in the same league although a very good car for the money.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what 'league' you are talking about. The Z06 is a world class car at a great price. My wife and I have a 99 Viper GTS and an 01 Z06, and they are both great cars. I happen to prefer the Viper, but the Z06 is fast, fun, and comfortable.

On a similar note, quoting from magazines doesn't prove a whole lot either. Porsche guys love those 'tests' at the Nurburgring because they make Porsches look great. They pretend those stats are the 'true' measure of all cars. Corvette guys prefer Road and Track, or Car and Driver because they make the Vettes look good. Hasn't Motor Trend shown Vipers to be the 'fastest'.

Since I don't know which magazine to believe, I don't take any of them too seriously. I just drive my cars and enjoy.

Jim

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron we have great cars in the Vipers. For the money, exclusivity, and the quality the Viper is hands down ahead of the Porshe 911 TT or any other car for that matter. But does that mean we cant face facts and also agree that the TT is defintely a very well designed car. That is the only car I would consider buying from porshe. It is fast and I also believe that most magazines have them running 11.90s in the quarter due mainly to the 4 wheel drive.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jp the Swede: Nice web site! I also own one of the fastest Swedish cars in addition to my Viper, the Volvo C70 - reliable little ride.

Toronto ACR: It looks like it all comes down to the driver. Given a stock Porsche and a stcok Viper, I'd bet on the Viper, but I would also consider the experience of each driver. The cars are so close depending on which test results you choose, that we can debate for days on end.

As a last note: Regardless of all the spin doctoring that Porsche likes to dish out, the Corvette Z06 vanquished the high priced Stuttgarter - no excuses! That is why people compare the Viper to the Z06.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 10 second Viper, my brother have a 993 TT (the badest turbo Porsche), I've been driving the Porche a lot...I Love it! It's one of the greatest cars on earth, probably THE greatest. But It doesn't have what it takes to thrill me...
Just love my Viper, one word...respect....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth