Viper vs. Z06 1/4 mile time question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile?

I know there is a weight difference, gear difference, etc. Why is the stock Z06 so much quicker in the 1/4 than even modified Vipers (and the new Viper's are not in the 10s)

I own an '06 Coupe Viper with a Paxton, Corsa exhaust, 3.55 gears, Pilot Sport Cups, and an '08 stock Z06. I have not and probably will not ever drag race them due to the fact that there is no quarter mile tracks anywhere nearby.:mad: Driving each of them, it feels like the Z would not even come CLOSE to the Viper in a quarter mile..........but, according to published reports and various postings on several forums, my two cars would probably have pretty close times. WHY? :confused::confused::confused:

(They are two VERY different cars, and love each of them for what they are......both are AWESOME cars!)

OP
OP
J

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ask a simple question. If you do not know the answer then go back in what ever world you live in & let me get some good info. You can get numbers from all kinds of reviews, but I am talking about results from real drivers.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile?

I know there is a weight difference, gear difference, etc. Why is the stock Z06 so much quicker in the 1/4 than even modified Vipers (and the new Viper's are not in the 10s)

I own an '06 Coupe Viper with a Paxton, Corsa exhaust, 3.55 gears, Pilot Sport Cups, and an '08 stock Z06. I have not and probably will not ever drag race them due to the fact that there is no quarter mile tracks anywhere nearby.:mad: Driving each of them, it feels like the Z would not even come CLOSE to the Viper in a quarter mile..........but, according to published reports and various postings on several forums, my two cars would probably have pretty close times. WHY? :confused::confused::confused:

(They are two VERY different cars, and love each of them for what they are......both are AWESOME cars!)

The latest Z06 will run low 12's bone stock, stock tires and on a good day and perfect pass no driver errors. I don't know where you got that 10's information. that's a chevy pipe dream! The only way it would run 10's is maybe with drag radials and 150 shot of NOS and once you start with the NOS start looking for a replacement engine soon! The 2009 ZR1 with 133hp more runs mid 11's @ 127 mph granted it's a couple of hundred more pounds heavier than the standard Z06 The ET numbers for Gen 3 and Gen 4 vipers are neck and neck with the Z06 and ZR1 respectively in stock form. You can get crazy hp numbers out of a V10 while the vette motor is pretty much tapped out. So the moral of the story is go out to the track and when you want to compare ET's on two cars make sure your comparing apples to apples. And don't believe what anybody tells you! watch and listen, you can always tell who's stock and who's not!

OP
OP
J

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to believe that, but I know of several runs that are far beneath that number. I know that the Viper can take on a lot more HP than the Z06. This is one reason that mine is stock. I may have to do cam/heads but that will be it. I have a friend that run 12.22 in a stock C5Z06 & yes I was watching. He ran it with DR & run 11.78 100% stock. I am sorry, but I do believe that the 10s are happening in the C6Z, but even if the time slips are wrong they are close. Why can a person not come on here & get some information without getting talked to like they are stupid. I was told this was a good Viper forum to be a member of. Can someone on this forum answer my question? I am not bashing Viper's mine is my favorite car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You simply can't compare results from one or two particular people in one end of the country on a given day with everyone else. Seems like most of these incredible runs come from the Northeast, in particular Maryland. No two tracks are the same, some run downhill, some are actually short. Most Z-06's run in the 12's, as do most Vipers. On a given day at California Speedway I raced a C-6 Z-06, over and over and all he could manage was low 12's at about 118. I was running low 11's at 129. Simply put 99.9999% of Z-06's will never manage 10's in the qtr. Most won't even get into the 11's without a great driver, same with the Viper as well. Get out and race your cars, you simply can't believe the BS on the internet.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The possibility is there that maybe you were getting a polite ribbing, or maybe he was being condescending.:dunno:
I think what you'll get out of everyone here is that no one has seen a stock Z06 get into the tens. The difference between 10's and 11's is HUGE!
I offer this humbly as I've personally never heard of or seen a stock Z06 get anywhere close to the 10's. There are a lot of Z06 owners here who'll agree.
I've been given a couple of what I've considered rude comebacks on here, but be sure most people here love to help.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I think is even more fascinating. You claim you own a blown Viper w/sport cups and a new Z-06, and even though your OWN personal experience tells you one is faster you believe Corvette Forum and Car and Ding **** magazine.:bonker: If your Paxton car is'nt running mid 10's at 135 somethings seriously wrong.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I think is even more fascinating. You claim you own a blown Viper w/sport cups and a new Z-06, and even though your OWN personal experience tells you one is faster you believe Corvette Forum and Car and Ding **** magazine.:bonker: If your Paxton car is'nt running mid 10's at 135 somethings seriously wrong.

Until he provides a VIN and gets listed as an owner, I just figure he's some vette troll. :rolleyes:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got no problem with Vettes or any other car, but common now. If you really own those two cars, and yes both are fast, but sorry no comparison. Stock '06 Viper vs. stock Z-06, yea the Z-06 will likely beat the Viper, but not by much. This dialogue has been hashed out so many times it's unbelievable, but you usually don't expect it from an actual owner of both cars.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile"

Only in dreams! Last Z06 guy told me how special his car was, extra carbon fiber, special Blue paint, but between 50 and 100mph he lost over 6 car lengths to me. Then we raced from 50mph and I used 4th gear (from 1200rpm) while he used 2nd. It was a tie up to 100mph when I started to pull away from him.

You'll notice 6 members/real owners answered you and none figure that a vette has any chance of being the fastest. Add yourself and it's a wash - everyone agrees that Z06 vettes are all slower than Vipers

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latest Z06 will run low 12's bone stock, stock tires and on a good day and perfect pass no driver errors. I don't know where you got that 10's information. that's a chevy pipe dream! The only way it would run 10's is maybe with drag radials and 150 shot of NOS and once you start with the NOS start looking for a replacement engine soon! The 2009 ZR1 with 133hp more runs mid 11's @ 127 mph granted it's a couple of hundred more pounds heavier than the standard Z06 The ET numbers for Gen 3 and Gen 4 vipers are neck and neck with the Z06 and ZR1 respectively in stock form. You can get crazy hp numbers out of a V10 while the vette motor is pretty much tapped out. So the moral of the story is go out to the track and when you want to compare ET's on two cars make sure your comparing apples to apples. And don't believe what anybody tells you! watch and listen, you can always tell who's stock and who's not!
SORRY, BUT NOT TRUE as i was personally at Englishtown NJ the day Evan Smith (Super Chevy Mag )tested a 2007 Z06 (BONE STOCK,STOCK TIRES )and ran 11.5 in near 100 degree heat.My 08 Viper in the same conditions ran an 11.4 Jamie Furman in his BONE STOCK ,STOCK TIRED Z06 in cold weather has run 10s.He also has a new ACR which he has run 11 flat in.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile"

Only in dreams! Last Z06 guy told me how special his car was, extra carbon fiber, special Blue paint, but between 50 and 100mph he lost over 6 car lengths to me. Then we raced from 50mph and I used 4th gear (from 1200rpm) while he used 2nd. It was a tie up to 100mph when I started to pull away from him.

You'll notice 6 members/real owners answered you and none figure that a vette has any chance of being the fastest. Add yourself and it's a wash - everyone agrees that Z06 vettes are all slower than Vipers

Ted
Once again Ted your making statements you truely know nothing about .You comparing you modded Viper to a stock Vette.I actually OWN a new Viper and can tell you the two cars are within a tenth of one another at the strip same day same track same driver.In a previous post you mentioned that you have NEVER SEEN OR DRIVEN A new Z06 or Viper at the track as the closest one to you is 500 miles away.Any time you want for MONEY i will put YOU in a stock Gen 4 Viper(i will supply a car ) against Jamie Furman or Evan Smith in the Vette and i guarantee you will lose.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still cant believe that after all these years and countless low to mid 11 second, documented runs by the C6Z06 that there are still some people that think its a 12 second car lmao. And yes the C6 Z06 has run 10's bone stock as 1Bad posted. Right track, right altitude, right driver made it possible. Its not the norm by any means but it has been done. Average drivers at good tracks are getting mid 11's. Once you start approaching 130mph in the 1/4 you have a 10sec "capable" car. All you need is the right conditions, track, driver and kill the 60'. Both Viper and Z06 have done 126mph or better in the 1/4 in the right hands. The Z06 has the weight and gearing advantage to offset its power deficit so its a bit easier it seems to squeeze that last 10th to hit the 10's. That being said Jamie got his ACR to do 11.0 @ 130mph despite the weight and gearing disadvantage comparatively. Thats easily a 10 sec "capable" car just needing the right circumstances to hit it just like the Z06. More to 1/4 mile-ing than just power or name brand of the car :rolleyes:

Ive seen 08 Vipers drivers say they ran 12's but we all know its a high 10, low 11 "capable" car as proven by the same driver that did the 10's in his bonestock Z06. Some of ya really need to let go of the bias geez.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is why are the Z06's I have raced not able to beat my 2008 at the drag strip ? Are the Fla Z06's detuned ? Maybe I need to read more magazines.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still cant believe that after all these years and countless low to mid 11 second, documented runs by the C6Z06 that there are still some people that think its a 12 second car lmao. And yes the C6 Z06 has run 10's bone stock as 1Bad posted. Right track, right altitude, right driver made it possible. Its not the norm by any means but it has been done. Average drivers at good tracks are getting mid 11's. Once you start approaching 130mph in the 1/4 you have a 10sec "capable" car. All you need is the right conditions, track, driver and kill the 60'. Both Viper and Z06 have done 126mph or better in the 1/4 in the right hands. The Z06 has the weight and gearing advantage to offset its power deficit so its a bit easier it seems to squeeze that last 10th to hit the 10's. That being said Jamie got his ACR to do 11.0 @ 130mph despite the weight and gearing disadvantage comparatively. Thats easily a 10 sec "capable" car just needing the right circumstances to hit it just like the Z06. More to 1/4 mile-ing than just power or name brand of the car :rolleyes:

Ive seen 08 Vipers drivers say they ran 12's but we all know its a high 10, low 11 "capable" car as proven by the same driver that did the 10's in his bonestock Z06. Some of ya really need to let go of the bias geez.
Your 100% correct .ALL of these cars today are so damn close performance wise it ALL comes down to the DRIVER running same day ,same track ..The ONE time in their life they are at the track they see (what they think )is a new Z06 running 12S and thats it .Never mind the drivers capabilitys behind the wheel. Never mind the weather. Never mind the condition of the track .Jamie Furman or Evan Smith could miss a gear and still run low 12s in a new Z06. The Super Chevy test i was at (as i previously mentioned) was conducted in near 100 degree heat running into a 12 MPH headwind and Smith popped one mid 11 second run after another. They also dont understand the corralation between TRAP SPEED AND ET (as you pointed out)ANY car thats trapping in the 126 plus range (esp in HOT WEATHER )is definately capable of turning 10s or near 10s under the right conditions,circumsances.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is why are the Z06's I have raced not able to beat my 2008 at the drag strip ? Are the Fla Z06's detuned ? Maybe I need to read more magazines.
Ray your probably a better driver then they are. Jamie Furman is a professional level driver who has and races both.So far his times in both cars are just about dead even (slight advantage to the Z06 ).Flat out if your at a sea level track and the guy driving a new Z06 is not in the mid 11s the car is not being driven to its capabilitys even in hot weather.Years ago we used to go thru the same things with the Gen 2 Vipers .Most people out there could not break low 12s(bone stock stock tires) no matter how hard they tried.To Smith of Furman that car (and its documentated )was an 11.5-11.7 ride .

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First, don't pay alot of attention to magazine numbers, just use them as a reference point. I can only comment on my own personal experience from real world driving. I live very close to two tracks and frequent them quite often(though not in the Viper, will explain).
The fastest I have witnessed a C6 Z06 was 11.2 @128 at E-town. This was with an aftermarket air filter (K&N, or similar set-up). So pretty much a very minor mod. There are vids of some breaking into the 10's but I believe they are with slicks. The fastest I have seen stock GEN III Vipers go would be high 11's. (Have not seen any '08 or'09's at the track)
I believe the difference could be the Z06 has better aerodynamics, lighter weight, better gearing for 1/4 racing and a conservative 505 HP.
As for as myself racing the Viper, I have only taken it a couple times. Reason being it is difficult to maintain consistant times.
I go to many track rentals and it is just more gratifying taking an automatic to the track for consistancy. Also launching the Viper is much more challenging, which is also fun but puts great strain on tranny, clutch and drivetrain. And yes I know I will catch alot of slack form people here but I just don't want to beat on the car. I enjoy enough spirited driving. Anyway just my 2c

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an extraordinary Z06 driver who goes by the handle Ranger. He has posted on this site and is very generous with data concerning his technique. He practices constantly and compares the data from each run against every other run. He has run below 11 seconds. But, in order to compare apples to apples it would be necessary for him to get some practice time in an 08 or 09 Viper and then run the quarter in it. My guess is that his time would end up being materially faster in the Viper.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, don't pay alot of attention to magazine numbers, just use them as a reference point. I can only comment on my own personal experience from real world driving. I live very close to two tracks and frequent them quite often(though not in the Viper, will explain).
The fastest I have witnessed a C6 Z06 was 11.2 @128 at E-town. This was with an aftermarket air filter (K&N, or similar set-up). So pretty much a very minor mod. There are vids of some breaking into the 10's but I believe they are with slicks. The fastest I have seen stock GEN III Vipers go would be high 11's. (Have not seen any '08 or'09's at the track)
I believe the difference could be the Z06 has better aerodynamics, lighter weight, better gearing for 1/4 racing and a conservative 505 HP.
As for as myself racing the Viper, I have only taken it a couple times. Reason being it is difficult to maintain consistant times.
I go to many track rentals and it is just more gratifying taking an automatic to the track for consistancy. Also launching the Viper is much more challenging, which is also fun but puts great strain on tranny, clutch and drivetrain. And yes I know I will catch alot of slack form people here but I just don't want to beat on the car. I enjoy enough spirited driving. Anyway just my 2c
Englishtown is my home track its also the track ALL of McMullan Argus uses for their private mag tests.As you pointed out on ANY given test and tune Wend Or Sat you can find new Z06 with minor bolt on running deep into the 11s (and THE GUYS DRIVING THEM ARE no where NEAR the skill level of Smith or Furman )Jamie Furmans 10s second Z06 run has been documentated.Its also a documentated fact that his run was done in a bone stock car on bone stock tires not drsg radials or slicks.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an extraordinary Z06 driver who goes by the handle Ranger. He has posted on this site and is very generous with data concerning his technique. He practices constantly and compares the data from each run against every other run. He has run below 11 seconds. But, in order to compare apples to apples it would be necessary for him to get some practice time in an 08 or 09 Viper and then run the quarter in it. My guess is that his time would end up being materially faster in the Viper.
Bob same day ,same ,track, same driver the cars are so damn close (within a tenth and 1-2 mph )its a toss up.As i mentioned Furman has both and states its easyier to launch the Vette than his Acr.Smith loved my 08 (11.3 at 129.7 )and felt it cold wather (provided they VHT the HELL out of the track )it could go 10s bone stock on stock tires.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same day,same track and same driver. Gen 4 wins. However with the trickiness of the launch in the Viper the Vette will be more consistant. I have been to the track many times and have yet to see a stock Z06 go quicker than 11.54 on street tires. The best I have seen on DR was 11.17. I don't need to tell you that many owners cannot deal with being second best,so sometimes they "forget" to mention a few add ons.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again so many Viper owners don't live in reality. The only people here saying that there Viper beat a ZO6 are those that have an 08. Hmm.. maybe the fact that there is another 100 horsepower give or take a few. Hands down comparing apples to apples an 06 ZO6 will beat an 06 Viper all day long every day in the 1/4 mile. Yes there a very few Stock Z06s that will dip into the 10's but let me tell you from experience you can consistentely run 11 teens and faster all day long with a stock Z06. The Viper well 11.30's and .40's. And yet our cars have so much more torque. Why. I think there are so many variables and it would take a mathmatical expert to figure it out. Maybe the guy from the TV show Numbers could help us. I just wish that so many people here had real life experience and would stop being so pig headed. Our cars are bad *** looking and performing, but they aren't always better than a Corvette in every other area. For those that are experienced drivers and actually race and dragrace their cars know what im talking about here.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there's this ONE guy, who lives in... and drives better than everyone else.... Yeah, yeah, we all know there are a few drivers out there who manage to be very fast consistently, I don't think that really applies to the original question. The original question was presented as a very general statement, and in my opinion it therefore represents a false statement. I think he was trolling. Z-06's do not generally run in the 10's, despite the fact that maybe a couple have under the right conditions.

Shall we all start using Paul Mumford's or Tommy Archer's times on a road course for what our cars run?? Yeah, my stock Gen II runs an 11.7 quarter and a 1:40 lap time at Texas World Speedway, yeah, that's right, that's the ticket. Who knows what my Gen IV will do, I'm still gathering the absolute fastest times on it.......

Here we all sit, having succumbed to the trolling.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again so many Viper owners don't live in reality. The only people here saying that there Viper beat a ZO6 are those that have an 08. Hmm.. maybe the fact that there is another 100 horsepower give or take a few. Hands down comparing apples to apples an 06 ZO6 will beat an 06 Viper all day long every day in the 1/4 mile. Yes there a very few Stock Z06s that will dip into the 10's but let me tell you from experience you can consistentely run 11 teens and faster all day long with a stock Z06. The Viper well 11.30's and .40's. And yet our cars have so much more torque. Why. I think there are so many variables and it would take a mathmatical expert to figure it out. Maybe the guy from the TV show Numbers could help us. I just wish that so many people here had real life experience and would stop being so pig headed. Our cars are bad *** looking and performing, but they aren't always better than a Corvette in every other area. For those that are experienced drivers and actually race and dragrace their cars know what im talking about here.
Very TRUE .The inability of the Gen 3 Viper to beat the current Gen Z06 was a major factor in the Gen 4 being over 600 hp.

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Same day/same driver at Milan Dragway outside of Detroit last year a bone stock 2007 Z06, a bone stock 2006 Viper Coupe and a bone stock 2008 Viper Coupe:

’08 Viper best 11.7@128 mph
'07 Z06 best 12.3@117 mph
’06 Viper best 12.3@116 mph

It was not a great day weather wise, humid low/mid 80's. The Vette was easier to drive and more consistent but the ’08 Viper out powered it by a long shot, felt like it had about 100 more horsepower (oh, it did)! The Vette had about 3000 miles on it and was as delivered from a local Detroit dealer. Could another driver have done better - sure but if nothing else the trap speeds suggest something.

I know several GM engineering people who have told me that any cars that they give to the magazines for testing are "specially prepared". You can guess what that means, anything from blueprinted to cheater engines (remember the original 1964 GTO story and its race against the Ferrari GTO - 389 cubes, yeah right!) to chassis set up meticulously for given events. I can guarantee you that Chrysler/SRT does not prep magazine cars. They are as built form the factory.

Moral of the story - Don't believe everything you read in the magazines and some "stock" cars may be more "stock" than others....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave