Viper VS. Z06 - VIDEO!!

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going through some of my vids that i have online and i found a video of my friends Z06 against a Viper. I am actually posting this video to show you guys how a 1/4 mile race is about 80% driver and 20% strictly performance of the car.

Here is the Video:

96 RT/10 on street tires VS. 01 Z06 on DR's.
Z06 hits the rev limiter in 1st.

www.angelfire.com/freak2/z06/z06vsviper.wmv

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I am actually posting this video to show you guys how a 1/4 mile race is about 80% driver and 20% strictly performance of the car."

Agree 100%. I think this is true in all motorsports.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. Once you get to the level of performance of these cars, driver ability is a large part. When you are talking 15 second cars, there isn't much skill involved. Thats why you hear so many stories of high HP cars losing to much lower ones on the street. They are very believable.

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. Once you get to the level of performance of these cars, driver ability is a large part. When you are talking 15 second cars, there isn't much skill involved. Thats why you hear so many stories of high HP cars losing to much lower ones on the street. They are very believable.

Absoloutly...I am always hearing stories about car x loosing to car y, but car x is 2x faster.

I personally think the best way to find out what car is really faster is NOT at the track since that is all driver, but from a roll where driver skill is limited.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way that Vette got out of the hole, it looked like he must have had slicks on. Especially to hit what looked like a 12.3 at 112? That means either his rev limiter really slowed him down on the big end and / or his 60 foot time was really good.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree 100%,killed a Jaguar XJ220 in my 3.6 porsche once hehe yes, i swear before the race i was telling my friend we are going to be happy watching his taillights..lol well..he wasn't fast at all :( i think he was shifting toooooo toooo early :confused: cool guy anyway ..ohh and my friend was driving my porsche that day ..lol

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way that Vette got out of the hole, it looked like he must have had slicks on. Especially to hit what looked like a 12.3 at 112? That means either his rev limiter really slowed him down on the big end and / or his 60 foot time was really good.

Stock 01 Z06 with Drag radials on!

This same driver hit a 12.0 with just a cai, exhaust, and dr's!!

when you get those cars in the hands of the right driver, they can be really dangerous, specially in the 1/4.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but a 2001 Z06 only has 385 HP, too. I own a 2001 Z06 and a Gen I Viper, and although I haven't raced them at the 1/4 mi strip, I have raced them side by side from a rolling start in various gears, and the Viper beats the 2001 Z06 up to about 100 (which is where we let off that day on the freeway, as there was too much traffic to go faster than that.) Both of the cars have upgraded filters, but the Gen1 has some exhaust work, while the Z06 has the stock system (which is pretty good already.) Viper also has the 355 gears

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superbar,

Don't forget just because Dodge says it only has 400 hp does not mean that is what it is. The Gen 1's seem to be more under rated than the Gen 2's, by a significant margin.

On many occasions I have seen bone stock Gen 1 Vipers pull 380-390 hp bone stock and the torque is usually insane around 460-470 and this is at the wheels. which translates into about 450hp at the crank and 540lb's torque.

So put a Gen 1 in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, and it will deliver ZOG beating times. I have personally seen a bone stock Gen 1(94) run 12.3's at sea level. Not many ZOG's can touch that, well at least not the ones in reality. You will always find some guy that says he ran 11's in a bone stock ZOG but he neglects to mention that it was done on a G tech pro.

Z06Les

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most bone stock Z06' run 12.5 - 12.8, there are exceptions on both sides of that number, there are 2 guys who have made it into the 11's bone stock.

Add drag radials and most drivers are capable of high 11's, some as low as 11.5, but USUALLY they would have some bolt-on mods.

I have raced many Vipers in the 1/4 - where I have an edge on experience, and haven't lost (yet) but have had some REAL close. On auto-X people like Tony Armour and Ryan (GTS) have kicked my butt, but I am practicing :)

Bone stock to bone stock with identical driver skill I would give the edge to a 2nd Gen Viper over the Z06, and all my money would be on the 03 SRT in a drag race. It's all good, I respect your cars and wish I had one in my garage :)

Les

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les,

Are you for real?

I practically live at a 1/4 mile track for the better part of a year and have seen ZOG's from Cali to Florida, and have yet to see one run faster than a 12.5 and this one had drag radials and air box on it.

Edge to a Gen 2? Now you are really grasping, a Gen 2 Viper will wax a ZOG unless there are mods on the Vet. Its not even close, and never has been. The only time a ZOG will beat a viper stock to stock is if the driver in the ZOG is far superior plain and simple.

Two car mags have proven this point(Popular mechanics/GM hi tech). Which part of 1/2 a sec in 1/4 mile is close? If you consider the SRT downright faster then why not a Gen 2? SRT has yet to beat a Gen 2 1/4 mile time, it has tied it but that is it.

scorp508

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I practically live at a 1/4 mile track for the better part of a year and have seen ZOG's from Cali to Florida, and have yet to see one run faster than a 12.5 and this one had drag radials and air box on it.

Ouch. I've seen 2001 and 2002 Z06s go 11.8x @ 117-118 with simply a ripper shifter and K&N filter in the stock airbox on the factory street tires. Maybe its our New England air, but then again I've seen it at Englishtown also. It can definitely be done, but once again its all up to the driver and track conditions that day.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Russ you must live at a slow track because I can tell you as an owner of a 01 and 03 Z06 low 12's are common with a good driver.I also have seen high 11's with a stock Z06 with stock tires, and on my first day out with a lot of viper club members including Jason Heffner ran a 12.20 at 116 with my brand new 2003 Z06 with 200 miles on it in 100 degree weather. I have had many vipers and I do agree with you the gen 2 car is about 3 tenths and 3 mph faster than the Z06 but I don't agree with anyone who thinks the gen 3 is faster because its not in the 1/4 mile. I was so dissapointed in my srt 10 I had to sell it. I love the gts and the Z06 but the gts is more exotic and much rarer and faster.The Z06 is fast and looks good too but the problem is they are everywhere and who wants to pass themselves twice on the way to the store which is why the Z06 had to go as well. I think the gest of this post is a slower car can beat a faster car with a good driver and I agree with that, except in this case the fastest car won as well.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch. I've seen 2001 and 2002 Z06s go 11.8x @ 117-118 with simply a ripper shifter and K&N filter in the stock airbox on the factory street tires.

That's an ultra rare occasion, since most of the 13,000 some odd Z06's produced in 2001 are still owned by retired, blue haired accountants...There's like two guys I ever heard of getting a Z into the high 11's, on slicks...

Every Z06 I ever ran got walked like a civic... :eek:

Z06Les

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,

Yes I am for real. and I stand behind what I said, which I believe was respectful as this is your forum. If you live at the 1/4 mile track and don't see Z06's running 11'd with drag radials you should change tracks. I took a guy here in Atlanta with a bone stock 2001 who had NEVER drag raced before and had him running 12.6 on stock tires by the end of the night. I run 12.0@120 MPH in Atlanta with a Vararam and headers, stock tires - that is fact. I have raced a number of Vipers (including one that was supercharged but with an inexperienced driver) and never lost at the 1/4 mile. Several are on this forum. I have seen many GenII Vipers near stock run VERY low 12's, so I give them an edge. I have SEEN a stock 03 SRT (and have driven one BTW) run high 11's with a pretty average driver. Justin Bell, who I assume we all can respect, managed (as I recall) an 11.6 in a bone stock 03 Viper - that was incredible!

Comparing times between different tracks and different density altitudes is pointless. One response to this post about Vette owners having blue hair and how he walks a Z06 like a Civic??!! Give me a break on talking about who is real here.

Most of the comments here have been fair and reasonable - props to you.

Les

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Z06Less

One response to this post about Vette owners having blue hair and how he walks a Z06 like a Civic??!! Give me a break on talking about who is real here.

You're right...my bad...Most Z06 owner's hair is loooong gone...How that Propecia working out for you???

Buddy Epson had a Z06...wonder how he's making out???

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had many vipers and I do agree with you the gen 2 car is about 3 tenths and 3 mph faster than the Z06 but I don't agree with anyone who thinks the gen 3 is faster because its not in the 1/4 mile. I was so dissapointed in my srt 10 I had to sell it.

So the SRT is not as fast as a stock Gen II. Is that the experience at the various Viper Rendezvous events that are taking place? I plan on bringing mine to the Midwest event. Just how can 50 more horsepower and more than 100 lbs less weight add up to slower in the quarter? Could it be you were predisposed to sell it short??? Sounds like it.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6Less,

I have seen and read about MANY Gen 2 vipers running 11's BONE stock. The 11 sec or low 12 sec ZOG's stock do not exhist in the real world, only on the internet.

Why dont you go look up some results from the events where there were people pressent to see the cars run and show me an event where more than 1 person saw a stock ZOG run faster than a 12.5.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6Less,

Why dont you go look up some results from the events where there were people pressent to see the cars run and show me an event where more than 1 person saw a stock ZOG run faster than a 12.5.

There are a few out there, on slicks...But the other 35,995 Z06's that have been produced so far would be so lucky to run a 12.50...Most pacemakers have warnings about exceeding 100 mph...

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned (2) 2002 Z06's I can tell you that with an experienced driver 12.3-12.8's is the norm. I have seen a guy in the Atlanta area run a 11.99 with slicks, air intake, and headers. He powershifted the entire run. They are quick cars especially with the right driver. HOWEVER, a GenII Viper stock can run high 11's low 12's consistantly. Stock Vs. Stock with drivers being equal my monies on the VIPER all day long. Remember to, that the Z06's gearing is more agressive too.

Z06Les

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2MANY: I agree with your assessment. If you have raced in Atlanta you may know Optic, who ran a 12.0 bone stock with 450 miles on his odometer. As a former Z06 owner you may know that J-Rod, Powershifter, Ranger and a few others (at the track, in front of witnesses) have run high 11's bone stock, but they are the exception. I can't comment on what Vipers are doing at other tracks, I am sure there are many running 11's stock, I can say I have been to several Z06/Viper Shootouts here in Atlanta and have never seen one run better than a 12.1X on stock rubber. Most run 12.2 - 12.5 which makes them FASTER than a stock Z06, which is what I said when I stated the edge went to the Viper. For Russ and Bitten, who want to believe what you want to believe, I say goodbye. I didn't come in here looking for an argument, and I don't appreciate insults and the inference that I lied. Maybe you were raised different. In any event, this is your forum, enjoy it.

Les

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Z06Less

For Russ and Bitten, who want to believe what you want to believe, I say goodbye. I didn't come in here looking for an argument, and I don't appreciate insults and the inference that I lied. Maybe you were raised different. In any event, this is your forum, enjoy it.

I never implied you were lying, perhaps mildly ********, most likely a geaser, but never a liar...Just when it was getting good, a submission...Your smack is as weak as your vette is slow...But thanks for stopping by! :cool:

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys got to be kidding me.

Are you guys intentionally not seeing the real world??
Hello???? Z06's with Dr's run low 12's allll day long.

My buddy with an 01 Z06 making 345 rwhp runs 12.20's all day.

You Viper guys crack me up..snap into reality fellas.
Did you guys not see the video i posted above?

That was an 01 Z06 with ONLY a cai, exhaust, and dr's.
It is pretty much stock and it ran a 12.30.

Here is another Video of that same Z06 [ making 345 rwhp] in 90* weather..WAKE UP VIPER FELLAS!

http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/z06/12.2.wmv